Soon to be motorhomers we hope

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jenny and mitch, Sep 16, 2010.

1. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

We are campers who are now looking to buy a 2007 ish Swift sundance 590rl, but having spent 3 months scanning the internet to glean information, we are a bit daunted to read all the negatives about juddering clutches, water ingress, poor mpg and lack of dealer/supplier support. Are there any good vans of that ilk out there? And any satisfied owners? Would we do any better if we bought an Elddis autoquest 120 about the same age? Any guidance/ advice would be most appreciated, as we have to think long and hard before risking so much money.

2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi Jenny and Mitch

Welcome to MH Fun

If you are looking for a van just for the 2 of you and are worried about MPG would look for a low profile motorhome as the over cab lump is like driving a brick through the air, if not required. Personally I would look for a Ford based motorhome but this a contentious issue and can lead to arguments so will stay clear.

I would also look for a German or Continental model as I feel that they are better built than English models.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

3. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Hi and welcome ,Jenny and Mitch.
    Can't help with those models, as we have a German Frankia. But I'm sure someone will be along soon with some advice.
    Lucille

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi and welcome to Fun, enjoy.

As to Swift Sundances I have three of varying ages, they are normally reliable and all the wrinkles should have been sorted by now wherever you buy from.

Try Becks Motorhomes, they arre nearer to you and they are good people to deal with.

Peter

5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome to Fun, keep looking I am sure when you find the one you want it will feel right for you,:welcomefunster:

6. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

7. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

HI and well come:thumb::thumb:

8. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Hi and welcome to fun

9. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome..as for the question about should we go for the Sundance or the Elddiss..we started off with an Elddiss autoquest 140..the 4 berth type and used the overcab bed to stow the bedding in during the day and other bits and bats...as for the sundance can't really say apart fromm have a look round all the various dealers..draw up a list of wants and needs and try not to deviate from it (too much)..Enjoy your travels!!

10. happycampers

happycampers Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome :thumb:

11. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

Hi and Welcome to the Fun. We are in Norwich and bought from Simpsons, an Auto Roller Roller Team last year. Didnt buy from Becks as they didnt have the lay out we were looking for, then went and bought something completely different. Also went to Greentrees at Dereham, again only reason we didnt buy was didnt have what we wanted. Lots of dealers out there and the web is the one of the best ways to help you on your way to buying. If you do get a m/h soon we are having a Funsters meet at Waveney River Centre in November. www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk you dont even have to have a m/h, tent or caravan will do.

Dale

12. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Hi, welcome.
    All I can say is look , loook , loooook:Wink:
    Make sure you lie down in the beds , sit on the loo , stand in the shower. Pretend your actually using the things. They often look very nice but are too uncomfortable , too cramped , not big enough.
    Then look , look some more.
    We have a 2006 2.8jtd Fiat , that runs like a dream , can get up any hill , plenty oomph and is economical on fuel , infact if I didn't know better I think it had had one of those things done to the engine .
    Wow was on about last week , was it a re-map or something . If its invisible , i suppose we wouldn't know :BigGrin:

13. Jaygee32

Jaygee32 Read Only Funster

Welcome.:welcomefunster: Hope you find your van soon.

14. bob and jules

bob and jules Read Only Funster

Slightly different model, but we had a Swift Bolero as our first MH and changed within a year because the layout didnt work for us the way we thought it would.

In my relatively inexperienced opinion the layout is paramount followed by the on board facilities and build quality. What I mean by that is that you could buy the most lusciously built MH, but if the layout dont work then you may as well have a cheap shabby one!

Bear in mind that although there are MH out there with Ford units or Merc etc by far the vast majority Brit and European, are on Fiat chassis or ones which are essentially the same but re-badged, i.e. Peugeot, so whats screwed onto the chassis is your main concern.

The previous good advice is excellent, spend hours and hours around dealers opening doors, lying on beds, walking past each other in the van to make sure there's not something thats going to annoy the hell out of you after you've parted with your cash.

Every MH is a compromise to some extent but time spent now is time well spent...........and half the fun is in looking and playing !!

15. Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry Read Only Funster

HI & Welcome

Welcome to fun, we researched models which fitted our needs, we created a list of what was necessisty/likes and what we could compromise on, then ask funsters for model ideas,:Wink:

We sourced who had these models in, and spent 3 whole weekends looking for these models, sitting on beds opening draws, working out if we went abroad have we storage for all things clothes, food toys etc... was there space for us and the children in years to come.

Before we set off for home we found our gorgeous motorhome, it had just arrived an hour before closing with instructions from the owners wife to sell it as she did not like the Motorhome experience. Her LOSS is our GAIN :thumb::thumb: we love the weekends meets and the new friends we have made.

Guidance from funsters gave me confidence to question different make for any problems, (ie judder on our particular model) :Eeek::Eeek: hope you find yours soon