Sony Ebook Reader

Discussion in 'Funster Book Club' started by Jim, May 11, 2009.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Have got some great collections waiting to be read on this little machine. Recently downloaded every Wilbur Smith novel, never read any of his books, Sian has read everything he's written. I started the other night with "when the lion feeds" Should only take me a couple of years to work through the collection:Eeek:

When it comes to a good story, you cannot replace paper and I don't think a machine ever will, but I have got used to the machine and when you have it on the RV you never worry about running out. Never again will I pay 13.99Euros for a naff £3.99 jack higgins in a dodgy Costa bookshop because I've read everything in the van. :Smile:

2. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hi Jim
    Problem with machines is you cant throw your dinner and tea on them.

If you havent got bits of a three course meal spread through the pages in book Its never been read.

Cheers
    Jim
    :Laughing:

3. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

We've just bought a Sony too. Just need to find a good download store other that Waterstones.

4. johng

johng Read Only Funster

agree Jim, have just started using a pda, and getting a few books on there :)

saves loads of payload :Rofl1:

5. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Just had a look at this as I not heard of it before, what a clever and space saving item, I had thought the Nintendo DS Lite's new collection of books for this machine was a good idea (although only classics) i nearly bought it for hubby as he enjoys reading but wont share my DS :Blush: Guess I know what to get him for his birthday now :thumb::thumb: saves carting the backpack full of books for any travels next time too :thanks:

6. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

I do most of my reading in the bath, do you think a Sony ereader would be okay there!!!

Will be great when travelling long time, but would need one each otherwise there will be a fight!!!

I will wait a little longer I think for the technology to get better, and the downloads cheaper.

Regards Pat

7. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

We have a couple of PDA's (Dell Axims) & read ebooks with microsoft reader in LIT format. Loads of free books available & it is possible to create your own from txt, pdf or doc file with free software.
    Found it is even possible to read it in bright sunlight, at night if anything it is too bright.

8. N Luyetund

N Luyetund Deleted User

Just googled "Sony Ebook Reader "

....spotted this:

A new way to enjoy books from Sony and Waterstone’s

errrrrr, Waterstone’s what?

books , coffee, ineptitude, demise of apostrophe usage? ....:Doh:

At this rate we will, in less than 50 years time, have reached the level of monosyllabic grunts.... I think it's called retrograde progression....

:thumb: with the resurgence of 'reading' (paper or cyber) perhaps there is some hope of written and spoken English (writ and spoke like what it should) surviving intact.... yeah, right, init :Doh:

9. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

Have a look at Waterstone's Home Page - Welcome to Waterstones.com

You'll see that the apostrophe usage is correct :Wink:

I guess the founder / owner was someone named 'Waterstone' and the shop belongs to him/her.

10. jhbgaiem

jhbgaiem Read Only Funster

Amazon Kindle

It looks like the ebook standard is till to be set. Just like MP3 players before the arrival of itunes.
    It looks as if the iTunes of the ebook will be the Kindle from Amazon. The differece between the Kindle and other ebooks is the method that it uses to download books. Instead of an Internet connection it uses a FREE cellphone technology, so that you pay for the book and not the connection and the ability to buy a book anywhere and any time where there is a mobile phone link.
    It can also supply newspapers and magazines.
    At the moment, the service is only available in the USA and Canada, but it looks sure to arrive in Europe soon.
    Just google it and see:Smile:

11. N Luyetund

N Luyetund Deleted User

Thanks Steph... I stand connected :Doh: :Wink:

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

HTC PDA mobile phone here.

From the start I've been amazed at how readable the 3 inch display is, no problem reading a book. I use Mobipocket.

Also I can let is navigate me or make phone calls or have a game of backgammon !!

I think the PDA approach is most flexible and cost effective.

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Just seen the New Sony e-reader Touch (PRS-600) and i must say I was impressed with everything (but the price:Eeek:) It lacks a little of the contrast of the older PRS-505 but the page turn is now instant with just a sweep of the finger accross the screen rather than the noisy (in the dead of night) click of the older machines page turn buttons and the subsequent 2 second delay. You can also make notes that stay there on the page you are reading,. Tap a word and a dictionary pops up with a definition! It really is a great way to take hundreds of books away with you.

If anyone bumps into my Mrs between now and Christmas, tell her how impressed i was with the new Sony ebook reader, remember to tell her its the PRS-600:BigGrin:

14. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

There was a touch screen/backlit version of the Sony reader released about a year ago (700 model, I think) but it was very soon discontinued.
    That might be available at a more reasonable price but it does make you wonder why it was discontinued.

I must agree, though, that it's a great way to carry hundreds of books (and get them all for free!).

15. Jim

Jim Ringleader

It was discontinued because the additional layer on the screen to enable the touch features made it suffer from glare and a lack of contrast. The 600 is very readable, so it looks like they have it right.

16. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

Now available ...

The Kindle, available in UK from 19th October.

Too much choice, too many toys ...:thumb:

Richard

17. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

Best thng I have ever bought (Thank you Chris G2EWS for the recommendation) I use it every day on the 1hr each way train journey to work. I also have some audio books on it as well. You can also get newspapers on it. As I try not to read the newspapers I dont bother. If you run into my other half can you tell him I wouldnt mind an upgrade:RollEyes: Forgot to add had it a year now and its still as good as the first day I bought it.

Sonja

18. sedge

sedge Funster

So - what have we concluded? What's the best one out there now, please?

Please take into account that I wear varifocals and already have probs in artificial light reading eg a magazine on shiny paper. If it's also a coloured background then just forget it, until it's daylight again LOL

We both enjoy reading a lot but books take up a lot of room, plus they are heavy and also hurt when you open lockers and they fall on you. And of course if it's bad weather we'll want to read more than ever and it's just annoying if you haven't got another book or you are waiting for other half to finish it first!

LOL at Wilbur Smith, after the first 53 or so (been through a lot of airports!!) I found it odd that Our Hero whoever he happens to be this time, always takes his shower in the same very precise manner!!! LOL

19. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I would say get the Sony, but not the touch screen one. Not only is it dearer, the touch screen has a tiny reflection that can be very annoying. Whereas the cheaper version, in any light, is just like looking at a crisp piece of printed paper.:thumb:

20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster