Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
In my opinion, if both drivers come clean and admit their faults. They then can have a grown up outcome.

One was at fault one had no insurance.

Shake hands agree to no further action........no insurance involved.......no police.

No hassle

As i see it now, someone (two) might get a criminal record and insurance premiums will get more expensive ( claim or no claim).

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
What's so different about the mib that your point scoring pulled me up on from what I said. ....

While I don't agree with your above reply regards fault.... I was hospitalised by uninsured driver and got £25000 in compensation.nothing for loss of car...you would be surprised how many don't know about the scheme. Forced on insurance company's by government to all pay a percentage into the fund because of the rise of all these barstards on the road driving uninsured non roadworthy vehicles :(

The difference is that the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority is a totally different thing and serves a different purpose to the MIB. You suggested that an injured driver could get compensation from as you said, "criminal injury board" which is not the case.

I am glad you were able receive compensation for you accident and not surprised people don't know about the MIB scheme. I don't know if this was scheme forced on the insurance industry or whether the industry decide to get together themselves in order to give their customers some recompense, but either way it is a positive step and a great thing for those who get injured by uninsured drivers as I am sure you will agree.

With respect, my intention was to be informative, not critical. I had no intention of point scoring or pulling you up on anything.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The difference is that the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority is a totally different thing and serves a different purpose to the MIB. You suggested that an injured driver could get compensation from as you said, "criminal injury board" which is not the case.

I am glad you were able receive compensation for you accident and not surprised people don't know about the MIB scheme. I don't know if this was scheme forced on the insurance industry or whether the industry decide to get together themselves in order to give their customers some recompense, but either way it is a positive step and a great thing for those who get injured by uninsured drivers as I am sure you will agree.

With respect, my intention was to be informative, not critical. I had no intention of point scoring or pulling you up on anything.

that's what I get for posting when half a sleep...correct should have said MIB.

CIB better if you win a claim..my BIL got £500,000 and a pension for life after being personally attacked

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Lots of differing views (and some stuff has gone somewhat off the point.) The facts are these:

1. if you are unable to exchange details at the time of the accident then it MUST be reported to the police;
2. The fact that the other driver did no have insurance does not mean that the fault for the accident automatically becomes his.
3. Driving (or keeping) an uninsured vehicle n a public road is an offence (and, as suggested above can carry a hefty fine, 6 points on the driver record and can result in the vehicle concerned being confiscated and crushed
4. Comprehensive insurance will cover claims from all vehicles/persons involved where appropriate.
5. Accidents must also be reported to your insurance company even if the fault was not yours and you do not intend to claim.

I would tell your son to report the accident to the police (even though it may now be outside the time scale set down in law) and give them the reg mark of the other vehicle along with his belief that the vehicle was uninsured - it is easy for the police to check that and they will probably be interested in doing so. He should also notify his insurance company (yes it may have an effect on his renewal but it would keep him legal and not worrying about whether any subsequent claim would be honoured)/ In that way your son will have complied with all legal and insurance requirements.
Correct advice but it does mean the scroat without insurance gets point and pays higher premiums in future and the lad who drove in the back of him has a potential claim logged and also pays higher premiums!!!. The insurers payout nothing both parties pay more just doesn't seem fair does it. The cover for claims against uninsured drivers is paid for by a levy on the insurance companies and they get the money from those who are insured......doesn't seem fair either!!. Why don't they fine uninsured drivers/sell their cars/houses/property and use that to fund uninsured claims?

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Agree it doesn't seem fair but before the government stepped in and imposed the insurance levy, those hit/injured by un-insured drivers got absolutely nothing. As to the insurers, they will always seek to get a higher premium, many people believe that the "no claims bonus" is built up by not having a claim for money but insurers also take account of "no blame" incidents and we would be niaive to think that that did not count against us when it comes to re-insuring!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The accident MUST be reported to your sons insurance company, read the small print of the policy! Whether you intend to claim or not, not telling them would be viewed as non disclosure and they could refuse to insure in the future.
Whether the insurance company then choose to pursue the uninsured party is out of your hands. You pay a fortune in insurance premiums, why not get your monies worth, that's what it's there for :D

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The accident MUST be reported to your sons insurance company, read the small print of the policy! Whether you intend to claim or not, not telling them would be viewed as non disclosure and they could refuse to insure in the future.
Whether the insurance company then choose to pursue the uninsured party is out of your hands. You pay a fortune in insurance premiums, why not get your monies worth, that's what it's th for :D
okOK the the insurance isis awar of the acedent the police are aware of it my son has no claims protection and legal thing on the policy it has now turned out that the other guy hasent even got a licence is 45 and never held a licence we don't think that a hand shake will make things right people like him need locking up whar the acedent hapend is a blind sumit and he stopped working at time answer his mobile it turns out his wife dropped him in the crap looks like things could get a bit sticky for him
Bill

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
okOK the the insurance isis awar of the acedent the police are aware of it my son has no claims protection and legal thing on the policy it has now turned out that the other guy hasent even got a licence is 45 and never held a licence we don't think that a hand shake will make things right people like him need locking up whar the acedent hapend is a blind sumit and he stopped working at time answer his mobile it turns out his wife dropped him in the crap looks like things could get a bit sticky for him
Bill
Critical thing is that "things look a little sticky for him". Provided your son does the right thing now he looks OK.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The boy has done everything in his power to protect his own interests
Bill
Good for him. He sounds well protected and very sensible.
It also sounds as though he's done a lot towards protecting the rest of us against this other unscrupulous driver too.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The CRIMINAL IB do get the money out of the criminal however they can - Bailiffs and Lor' knows what else (I've never been involved in such dealings, TG)

The MOTOR IB however, I have had dealings with but as far as I know, don't bring the Bailiffs etc in. Yes, it was imposed on Insurers by the Government yonks ago - the 1960s was it? - to fund it. Before I retired 10 years ago, at that time it cost everyone WITH motor insurance for ANY vehicle, over £30 a year extra premium. So at one time - with a Moho, a car each and two motorbikes - this household was paying an extra £150 annually to subsidise the low lives that live amongst us.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In my opinion, if both drivers come clean and admit their faults. They then can have a grown up outcome.

One was at fault one had no insurance.

Shake hands agree to no further action........no insurance involved.......no police.

No hassle

As i see it now, someone (two) might get a criminal record and insurance premiums will get more expensive ( claim or no claim).
A "grown up outcome" is that both comply with the law and terms of insurance.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
A "grown up outcome" is that both comply with the law and terms of insurance.
Yes your right, but both were sinners, getting the law involved could have brought about charges for both drivers.

Winning brownie points only gets badges at the end of the day.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes your right, but both were sinners, getting the law involved could have brought about charges for both drivers.

Nothing to do with Brownie points: not informing the Police is a serious offence; non-disclosure to the insurance company will invalidate future insurance if they find out later.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

Wining browne points no Insurance disqualified from driving I the guy my son ran in to should never have Ben on the road my son will receive no charges or points.
by his own admission had a momentary laps of concentration.
The other driver not or refused to exchange datales a tempted to mislead my son
My son has has now complied both with the requirements of his involvement both legally and moraly
Bill

Reactions: CWH

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
All's well that ends well.

Broken Link Removed

Wining browne points no Insurance disqualified from driving I the guy my son ran in to should never have Ben on the road my son will receive no charges or points.
by his own admission had a momentary laps of concentration.
The other driver not or refused to exchange datales a tempted to mislead my son
My son has has now complied both with the requirements of his involvement both legally and moraly
Bill

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
To suggest that complying with the law gains brownie points, in my view is ridiculous. There are no brownie points to be won. However for non compliance with the law a person might get points on their license, as well as a fine together with higher insurance premiums

Reactions: CWH

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
as i c it bill the other vehicle should not be on the road,there fore he is at fault report it to avoid any personal claim against u / son, barking up a tree but u dont need any more hassle, all the best pat g

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Sounds like your son has been lucky!
It is wrong to say he couldn;t have been at fault if the other driver was uninsured. It's irrelevant. Different law, civil v criminal.
If your son claims on his own insurance he will likely lose his bonus at worst. The risk is that the uninsured - innocent driver would still be entitled to claim against your son whether he was insured or not! If he does, and he has years to do it in, your sons insurance could refuse to deal with the claim under the policy as your son has not reported the accident to them.
Safest course is for your son to report accident to insurers "for record purposes", tell them that he will not be presenting a claim for his own damage (Assuming he's comprehensive) and that given circumstances no third party claim is anticipated. They will withold bonus entitlement initially but after a while, when no claim materialises they will reinstate it.
Rather safe than sorry!
He was lucky. If he'd hit an insured driver he WOULD have a claim presented against him that would affect his bonus and future premiums,
Norm

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It has all Ben put to bead now the uninsured driver is going to cort for no insurance no mot or tax and driving while disqualified.
My son has no claims protection
He has now nothing more to do with the incident.
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back