Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
:Eeek:Hi fellow motorhomers, planning to visit Ulster Tower in Belgium and then head to Loire area next year, any advice? I am disabled so not too busy a schedule and I like to drive at my leisure rather than rushing. Probably travelling late July early August. Will sites/Aires be difficult to get into at that time. do we need to book? Any suggestions/experiences would be appreciated. Thank you

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi and welcome.
Its a lovely area you intend to visit and we have been several times. The joy of owning a MH is of course you can dictate the plans and change them on a whim.

With the time of year you intend to go, especially August you are in peak holiday season. This will mean that some sites you may need to just gove a quick call to cheak for space although in my experince its rare that anywhere is completely solid.

With aires they can sometimes be difficult to find a space especially if you need wheelchair access. Generally the rule of thumb is try and arrive at an aire before 2pm. if you can't get a space there always someone willing to tell you where the next place is.

Have you considered france passion, for camping at the farm?
Many use these and you basically stay on Farms. I have not used this myself but have spoke to many who have who swear by them.

What ever you decide to do enjoy it. It would be far more preferential to go in June/July and far less busy. The weather is just as good but also you get extremely long days.
Us poor people restricted to the school Holidays allways have to go in August, we used to love the Loire in the June months, prior to the boys starting school.

N

Nethernut

Deleted User
:Eeek:Hi fellow motorhomers, planning to visit Ulster Tower in Belgium and then head to Loire area next year, any advice? I am disabled so not too busy a schedule and I like to drive at my leisure rather than rushing. Probably travelling late July early August. Will sites/Aires be difficult to get into at that time. do we need to book? Any suggestions/experiences would be appreciated. Thank you
Hi - just one thing - the Ulster Tower is in the French Somme area, opposite Thiepval Wood, think Albert is the nearest town. Very interesting place, even has a small coffee shop. The couple who look after it are very knowledgeable and very friendly. Well worth a visit.

Jan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

N

Nethernut

Deleted User
Sorry but can someone tell a thicko like me what the ulster tower is and where it is,:Eeek:

It is a memorial paid for by the people of Ulster to the men from the 36th ulster Division who died in the Somme area in the 1st world war. The tower is a copy of a tower near Newtonards where they did training before embarking for France. It is manned by an irish couple who live in it about 9 months of the year - very informative to visit.

Other interesting (and manned) memorial are the one to the Newfoundland contingent and the South African one.
They are all part of the "Circuit of Remembrance" - lots of websites about it. Worthwhile and interesting area to visit.
Jan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back