Sometimes it must be nice to own a gun! (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Fox 12 Portland News June 27, 2008

Police: Accused RV Thief Shot In NE Portland

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A homeowner opened fire on two people trying to steal his RV near the Columbia Edgewater Country Club late Thursday night, police said.Officers said they went to a home on Northeast Marine Drive at 10:41 p.m. on a report of shots fired.Police said the homeowner had confronted two people as they were breaking into his motor home. Armed with a gun, he fired one round into the air as he tried to detain the suspects, police said.He then fired a second round at one of the people as they approached him, police said. A couple of pellets lodged in the hand of one of the accused thieves. Gary Miller, 37, and Delisa Petersen, 21, were taken to Legacy Emanuel Hospital, where they were treated and released for minor wounds.They were then arrested on charges of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.

Attachments

• 16729467_240X180.jpg
    16729467_240X180.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 95
K

Kevit

Deleted User
...and they look such a NICE couple too.

/sarcasm off

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What a shame it was only a couple of pellets...........should have been a couple of CARTRIDGES.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
They'll probably sue the homeowner for damages, physical & mental harm, and who knows what else.

Different cities and different states have different local laws when it comes to guns. Although this was only a pellet gun, the homeowner might still find himself in trouble with the law. Threatening or defending property is a lot different than threatening or defending one's life.

He's probably lucky that the would-be thieves were not killed. Glad he didn't have a real firearm.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You are probably right Tom. But in the UK, the only ones with guns are the bad guys. I like level playing fields:Smile:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I like level playing fields

LOL Jim, understood.

I recently got rid of my guns, more specifically a 30-06 hunting rifle and a high power pellet gun. I hadn't been hunting for 20 years, and the last time I shot the rifle was 10 years ago (at a range). We have a very inquisitive grandson and, since I didn't have a gun safe, I worried about having that rifle and ammunition around.

I called a gun store and asked if they brokered guns and, sure enough, they did. They sold it for approx double what I paid for it 25 years ago, and I used the proceeds to buy a rather expensive fly fishing rod. As required by California law, I transported the ammunition in a separate locked box in the trunk and, although the store isn't allowed to re-sell it, they agreed to find a willing recipient.

I bought the pellet gun because of a huge pigeon problem we had at the prior house. With 19 different pitches on the roof, there were so many places for these buggers to hang out and to hide. Every time I hired a pest guy to take anti-pigeon measures, I had to hire a roofer to replace all the tiles he broke. So, it was a matter of desperate measures.

The gun store wouldn't take the pellet gun on consignment, but they again found a grateful recipient.

I can't begin to tell you how relieved I was to get this stuff out of the house. In addition to any safety concerns with the grandson, there have been numerous cases of kids finding guns in their relatives' homes, and the adults ending up charged with manslaughter and child endangerment.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
As some of you probably know, many RVers in the US carry guns in their RV "for protection". The whole subject of firearms is quite inflamatory over here, so we don't normally talk about it in our forum. Discussions on firearms, politics, or religion usually go downhill very quickly.

You probably also heard about the US Supreme Court ruling this week that declared "unconstitutional" the 25 year old New York law banning guns. This is a huge victory for the gun lobby, and the National Rifle Association is now going to sue the city of San Francisco over their local gun restrictions.

Notwithstanding the above, cities and states have widely varying laws and permitting requirements for firearms, and they vary even more when you take into account the type of firearm (handgun, rifle, assault rifle/machine gun, etc) and whether the firearm is concealed or visible. Add to this the laws relating inter-state transport of guns, and it gets quite complex.

The US Constitution is quite clear about the right to bear arms, and that's what this week's ruling was all about.

BTW firearms are illegal in Canada and Mexico, and you are warned at the borders when entering those countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
... the US Supreme Court ruling this week that declared "unconstitutional" the 25 year old New York law banning guns.

Oh gosh, I must have been having a brain fart. That should have said Washington DC, not NY, and the original ban was against handguns..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I shoot form the hip,scares the shit out of would be robbers
no licence required for my pisstool:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: