SOMEONE HAS TO GO FIRST - Motorbike and trailer choice

Discussion in 'Motorcycles and Motorhomes' started by DiggerJon, Jan 14, 2015.

1. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Motorbike:- 2005 Honda ANF 125 chosen because it was cheap, light and economical. A bit of a step up from the Yamaha Townmate 80 that preceded it and had to go when there were too many advisories on the MOT making it a constant fiddle to keep it going and legal for a a 28 year old machine! Love the Honda; it has enough ooomph to cruise at 50, does 110 mpg and spares are cheap. It adds so much to touring as I can just get on site, park up and then do all my exploring on the Honda with free and easy parking, low running costs and the joy of getting wet when it rains!
    All in all, using the bike whilst touring adds immensely to the pleasures of exploration. Last year I did 2000 miles in the MH and the same again on the bike! Considerable cost savings for an investment of £17 pa in road tax, £39 insurance and £30 MOT and a bike that depreciates slowly having bought it £400 under trade price on eBay!

Trailer:- I tried a scooter rack but I found it impossible to load onto the towball on my own and also made the MH too tail heavy and overweight and so I bought a CMF sideways loading trailer with the proceeds of a charity lottery win! The trailer is lightweight, relatively easy to load on my own and easy to handle and stores upright in my garage on the optional casters. All in all I like it, but I would make a few alterations if I were the manufacturer i.e make the loading plank more of a channel rather than a plank as the bike wheels tend to drop off if not careful. It adds only 1.6 metres to the overall length of the MH so I am still under 8m for ferries etc - useful!

• Like Like x 4
  2. plumbomb

plumbomb Funster

I ride a Triumph Sprint 1050ST, I keep looking for a side loading trailer. I'm not paying a fortune for a new one.

3. markh

markh

I've just sold my Triumph sprint, gone down the Bmw route. F800 gt. Interested to know what people think of the side loading trailers. Would be quite nice to have my bike to explore some of the Spanish twisty roads!
    Kaye H

4. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

Watching these treads on motor bike / scooters with great intresed as they are going to help me with my desition this year on changing our 125 also garage or trailer mode of carrying

5. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

We've not long bought a Suzuki Burgman AN400, we will already be towing our 7metre 6-wheel trailer so will be making up a sideways-loading platform across the back of the Mercedes, made to break down and fold down to ground level. There is a very substantial towing 'girder' across where the towbar bolts to, and we have a 4.3 tonnes rated rear axle, so should be OK on weight.

The Suzuki is about 225kgs.

We have a winch in the back of the Mercedes to load/unload our show engines, so that will be used to load the scooter by means of pulleys that divert the cable at the back through 90 degrees.

It's too big to carry inside.

Peter

6. Mannjan

Mannjan Read Only Funster

I was hoping to go down the trailer route until priced up the Tunnel (Tesco vouchers) and the cost with trailer is double! irrespective of length of van or trailer. So 6m van with 2m trailer pays same as 18m unit. Not good eh?

• Like Like x 1
  7. PeteH

PeteH Funster

How about this? Seen at the 2012 "Brits" rally near Quartzite in the Arizona Dessert.

IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0635.JPG
    Pete

8. MikeD

MikeD Funster

We have a sideways loading Easylifter. Its a solid fixing to the tow bar with "shopping trolley" wheels taken the majority of the weight.

Not used it a huge amount but so far it has been as good as gold.

Looked at the "sideways" trailer but expensive and I thought might become a bit of a pain if I ever needed to reverse.

Do you find you can reverse the trailer with such a short pivoting action?

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If it's steel it's not going to take more than half an hour to fix that.

10. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Considering a trailer possibly a box or open for once I've done my test but not sure on what bike to get but I do fancy a Pan.
    length not an issue as we won't be leaving the shoreline.
    I fancy a box allowing me to utilize its potential for loadind kayaks & heavy items in & on it.

11. EssexBoy

EssexBoy Funster

I've got a Pan. It's a 1991 and apart from a couple of punctures I've had zero problems. We even went to Germany on it last year :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. PeteH

PeteH Funster

I sold A Beemer RS100 a few years back (1982) Last of the "Classics", Easy to service, Shaft Drive (NO chain), I don't remember it ever letting me down, except for me not charging the battery during a long layup, whilst I was doing a "Self Build" House!!
    The bike on the Rig Shown Above was (I Think) one of the Newer Triumph`s?, the Guy who Owns it is a Brit who lives in Mexico, on the Baja. BTW I have still got Jacket and Pants Leather 42 chest 36 Waist. And would part for cash for cancer research?

Suggestion for Loading Ramp. 6mm Aluminium Checker Plate from Local Source. Find someone with a Plate bender and put a 50mm Flange on the 2 long sides? = Channel with tyre grip built in?. and lightweight too!. Local to us the caravan transport companies use similar, but longer, to load the big static vans onto Lorries.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  13. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Exactly the same BMW as I had, WEX497X, lovely bike, went all over Europe with it, never let me down, ever.
    Almost certainly too heavy for me now though.

14. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

Oh yes, the 'boxers' were great motorcycles. I had a 750R for many years. Now I have a Suzuki Burgman 400, all the sophistication of a BMW, it has an automatic gearbox, loads of luggage capacity and it is fully faired. It is also light enough to handle on the drive.

There are many types of motorcycle trailer on the market so you'll certainly find one that fits the bill.

There are usually motorcycle trailers exhibited at Motorcycle Live at the NEC in November.

Keith Hart

• Like Like x 1
  15. shinysideup

shinysideup Funster

I use a phoenix big bike trailer , we have a couple of old goldwings an a vulcan 1500 classic. The phoenix is amazingly simple to load , integral ramp , wheel clamp , locking hitch , jockey wheel.
    Just love it.

Steve

16. Valkman

Valkman

I have a fully enclosed purpose built motorcycle trailer and I will be selling it this spring. Email me at pwh714@sky.com and I'll send photies if you're interested.

• Like Like x 1
  17. iceclimber

iceclimber Funster

I spent many months researching trailers for my BMW650GS. Initially I was convinced that I wanted the side loading type. However, after see the different types and after actually trying out the Motolug trailer, it was the Motolug I decided on, and am pleased I did.
    The trailer spends about 95% of its life in the garage, BUT efficiently stored, as designed in about 10 pieces, so no corrosion / deterioration issues.
    I also fitted a rear view camera so that I could see the bike when trailing.

trailer with bike.JPG rear view.JPG

18. paintman

paintman Read Only Funster

Interesting thread, we have just imported an old Hymer with a scooter rack and a tow bar, so for trips when some distance exploring needs to be done on two wheels I will tow my BMW R1200gs on a trailer, but i'm thinking that on most trips a moped is going to be all you need to buzz into town and pick up a few bits, what do you guys do ? And any recommendations for a cheap two seater moped/scooter ?

19. cakey

cakey Funster

When we go to France /Spain we take Honda Bali 101cc scooter (not to many around know) on Easylifter scooter rack sits on tow ball. When in UK we take Honda Deauville on Erdi motor bike trailer. Bought the trailer in France. Can't manage without 2 wheels!!!!.

20. Spadger

Spadger Funster

Not sure how this pic has come out but I've used an armitage side trailer for couple of years now , just adapted it to carry to trail bikes, it was awkward at first reversing but with care you manage , only negative was tyre wear however the original tyres were only four ply which were bald after 4000 miles, I've replaced these with heavier ones for our pending trip , booked ferry not a significant difference in price with or without

Attached Files: