Some won't like this, veal

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Wildbill, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I have just got back from a diner party whar veal was served amazing meet haven't had it for a long time it came from sanburys just been looking it up on the net I don't have any objections to eating it
    think it will hit a raw nerve with a few
    bill

• Like Like x 2
  2. f6c

f6c Funster

Yum Yum(y)

3. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Veal is the bye product of the dairy industry. Most of the little boy calves need to be moved into the food chain whilst still young. Therefore if you drink milk you should also eat veal.
    There was aproblem regarding husbandry a few years back but UK sourced veal has a decent if short life. Not so sure about European sourced veal.
    It should be eaten here in their UK rather than exported to Johnny Foreigner.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Almost as nice as suckling pig

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

well it certainly is very good and as long as it's British I will eat it
    bill

• Like Like x 2
  6. dippingatoe

dippingatoe Read Only Funster

I depends how it is raised. I used to have a dairy house cow, and if a bull calf was born it was kept with the mother (we shared the milk) but then not reared on to full size. I think many people (me included) object to the crate reared veal produced on the continent, or bobby veal (calves killed at a few days old) - amended to make it clear that though I don't personally like the texture of bobby veal, I am fine with it going into the food chain rather than wasting it

British farmers are now beginning to produce Rose Veal, which I did - and are younger animals, but not confined to crates and fed only milk way beyond the normal times for a calf to have a pure milk diet.

If people realised that the alternative to this for the calf in question is to be shot at birth and the carcass disposed of there may not be quite so many howls of protest when veal is on the menu - though I wholehearted respect any vegetarian views, I am not a vegetarian at present.

Its a very good meat which just needs some careful sourcing (and of course careful saucing)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 11
  7. f6c

f6c Funster

Suckling pig Segovia brings back old memories.:D

• Like Like x 2
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Yes, I agree, the alternative to veal is male calves bolted shortly after birth. They now have a happier life.

• Like Like x 3
  9. sedge

sedge Funster

Yes the problem WAS with husbandry.

Lovely stuff, but it's gone mega-expensive in France now, and didn't look at ALL nice when we were over there Aug - Oct, - looked like scrag end of veal chop, all over France except in Carrefour in Boussac, theirs was perfectly fine and priced reasonably but only there for a week - anywhere else we went into a supermarket or past a butchers what wasn't bone was fat, and the bone looked as if an amateur butcher had had a go at it with a garden axe. I wouldn't have bought it if it had been €1.00 a kg frankly.

On a happier note - calf liver is fantastic.

10. peter H

peter H Funster Life Member

Nothing wrong with veal. As long as it's reared humanely. Although I have eaten Veau blanc and known it was when I eat it.

Rose veal is great, but not easy to find in shops.

The bull dairy calf is also suffering from other issues of course. If your breading a dairy herd, then you must ensure that all the off spring have value. Used to be they went into the veal food chain, yes, sometimes as white veal with all of those issues, but also they were the prime food source for the many many fox hound pack all over the country, that was until the soft liberal townies, who think that food just comes from tesco etc, got hunting band.
    Need to look at the whole picture, not just the bit that suits you !

Peter

• Like Like x 8
  11. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Why is it that some members when describing others with differing views have to do so in deliberately derogatory and offensive terms.(n)

12. Chris

I came across a camp site owner a few years ago who thought we were " townies" which I suppose we are these days.

Anyway, we pitch up at this site in Kent that has a farm attached and advertised the fact that there was a sort of petting farm for children.

So we pitch up and go into reception and ask if they sell animal feed so that my young daughter could feed the animals.

Grumps behind the counter looks at me blankly and says he doesn't sell it and what did I want it for anyway?

I stated the obvious to him and he asked what animals my daughter wanted to see. I just said pigs, sheep. goats whatever.

Grumps then explained to my daughter ( who was about 4) that all the pigs are in the freezer and that she could go and look at them in there if she wanted. He also reminded us in a patronising tone that milk doesn't come from supermarkets.

He was a right old git. as we turned to leave he reminded us that we absolutely must not drive on the grass anywhere on site.

Guess what I did at every oppurtunity?

• Like Like x 4
  13. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Well hunting wasn't banned by us country folk, that is for sure............. personally I thought that "soft liberal townie who think that food just comes from Tesco" just about summed it up. Only an opinion of course.

Back to subject - yes, male calves used to be bolted if no other use could be found for them. Depends on the breed or cross. Everything - no matter what the meat - is about the sourcing. Everything...... nearly all our beef comes from a local herd 2 miles away. The local butcher sources his pork similarly; lamb is a little more difficult due to seasons. We pay a little more but worth it.

Veal? Love it but Mrs Deluxe has an objection to it

• Like Like x 3
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I don't think I've eaten veal as part of a dinner but I do enjoy jellied veal as a sandwich filling. No idea where to get it from these days though. I used to be able to get it from a market stall when we went to Derbyshire to see my Mum but they stopped selling it last year because of lack of demand.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

And fancy us showing solidarity with those barbaric horse-eating French!:reel:

Animals are natures way of keeping our food fresh. If they didn't want to be eaten, animals would have evolved to taste bad!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Just stealing Tootle's thunder.......have you tried jellied lamb?;) Seriously - haven't seen jellied veal for years.

@jonandshell - a lot of insects etc have evolved to taste bad for precisely that reason - and just for the veggies (and to be fully inclusive), so have a lot of poisonous plants :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chris

It hasn't worked for sprouts though or broad beans.

They still get eaten but taste like you know what to me.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I have no objections to cooking and eating British rose veal.

At present we are trying to shed a few kilos (anyone watching the BBC2 programmes that were on Monday, last night and will be on tonight?) a lot to think about. :)

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Philistine :D

• Like Like x 2
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Never tried jellied lamb but I have tried jellied beef from the same place I used to get the veal. Not special enough to seek out though.