Free Member
Oct 10, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
All my own opinions....YMMV :Smile:

Spoke to several Motorhome newcomers this weekend at Chester. It occurred to me that maybe I should share some of what we have learned since starting ourselves in 2007.

SOLAR PANEL
A must have, for me. We had an 80watt panel fitted, and it works superbly. Been away this weekend from Thursday to Monady, and battery still at 13 volts, TV every night, blown air heating both at night and overnight for water, and some during the day...and TV/Sat running for 8 hours on Sunday (Touring cars on ITV etc, together with freezing winds outside ;)

BATTERY
Having had three batteries fail (x2 Numax, x1 Elecsol) , I sought advice on the very best. Hands-down winner... a Banner 115aHr. After a long talk to Andy at Roadpro, bought one last year. See above...superb
PS...for multiple connections to your leisure battery and / or Inverter, look at some of the high-end gold connectors and fuses used for high wattage in-car audio...often superb quality, and capable of handling huge amounts of amps

GAS
We decided early on to fit Gaslow refillable....its proved a great choice. We are in the process of adding a second cylinder, but our single 6kg can last for 3 days / 4 nights running lots of heating, and cooking meal each day, plus brews, all for around 6 pounds per refill

INTERNET
We have a "3" MiFi on contract. I negotiated it down to 7 pounds a month, for 1gb of Data per month. It has always worked well, on the odd occasion with no signal, have used my phone (Galaxy S3) as a Hotspot...also now have a long-range WiFi antenna, so can access BT FON too

TOILET MATTERS
I have used the famed Tesco Bio Laundry liquid...works great, super cheap, BUT...the toilet smells very bad very quickly ! Now use One Chem...40-shot bottle, ten quid...nice measured dispenser, and smells (to me) really nice, dose the job and lasts well

TV / SATELLITE
We have a super 19" TV from Curries, 99 pounds...fantastic picture, USB slot, HDMI inputs for true HD.Fed with the Status 530 directional antenna, gets a picture within a couple of minutes in most places. Also had a Maxview crank-up sat dish...worked well, BUT...useless in anything more than a strong breeze. Opted for the RoadPro-branded auto-dome...one button press, locks on in 60 seconds. Wouldn't go back. Sat Receiver is a Zehnder Free-to-air...does the job very well. Also have the rare Pace 12 volt Skybox as a backup.

SLEEPING
1st van we had Duvalays...great quality, and lovely and warm. Now we have a fixed bed, gone for fitted Egyptian cotton sheets / mattress...super cosy

MOT
Worth seeking out your local Council Depot for MOT. Most do tests for the general public, with nothing to "sell" you, they have no axe to grind, so it works out much fairer than your usual "fast-fit" type place ;)

Hope this is of use to some of you...i'm sure someone wiil disagree :roflmto:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this tip, but probably not a bad place to start.

We've only been playing with MH's for a couple of years or so and don't very often use campsites and when we do we don't often use their showers preferring to use the one on board.

But having recently caught an Athletes foot infection after using campsite shower facilities last year :Angry::Angry: we now keep our Crocs or other form of waterproof footwear on when using them.:RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
More a list of your preferences than tips
But not bad apart from the slur on MoT testers:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If you are wild camping and water is at a preimum, have a spray with water and zoflora in and just spray around the pan rather than flushing it every time, keeps it smelling nice and saves a lot of water.

OP
OP
Rocles

Rocles

Free Member
Oct 10, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I repeat...
"All my own opinions....YMMV"...
by the way, that means "Your Mileage May Vary"

Council Depots by the way are extremely thororough in their testing...they gave me an Advisory on split exhaust rubbers on my X250...turns out a very common issue, and I bet if anyone checks their rubber hangers around the Cat. converter, they will be split too....

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Great post Rocles

...and just the info i was after. Heading to UK from Aus in two weeks to pick up our Hobby GS 50 and you've just about answered any questions i had so thanks heaps for taking the time to post such a helpful article
Cheers Ponyboy

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
As normal those avid readers of all the forums have reapeated a topic on another site ,gets boring afer a while,but if your bored i suppose its something to do H.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Rocles

Rocles

Free Member
Oct 10, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Bumping this Thread for this years Newcomers :)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997

Having been an MOT tester for Krap Fit for a few months, I can concur that they have their own best interests at heart, some of the things I personally experienced there prompted my early exit from that company because of their policies.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
@Rocles, have you changed any of your equipment since you wrote the thread in April 2013? Equipment gets out of date so quickly, so just wondering if you have felt the need to upgrade anything.

Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
Another Top Tip my brother gave me today after I tried to set off with my steddies down is after parking up and putting steddies down place brace over van peddles so you can't forget before setting off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back