Some more motorhome owners spoiling it for the rest of us! (2 Viewers)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I really do not understand why anyone should provide 'free' space for motorhomers, if there is a commercial benefit (Canterbury).... fair enough

I would much rather spend my time on a site or CL than a carpark.... even a free one..... unless it's next to a pub in which I would gladly spend a shilling or two.....

.....:whistle::whistle::reel:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
If anyone wants to think about how much motorhomes are as a proportion of road-users I looked at the number for sale on ebay.... less than 5000 - cars for sale over 200k, on Autotrader - less than 5000 - cars for sale 400k+

We aren't a priority..............

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
What are these "usual self serving local authorities"? Are they, perhaps, local authorities which have to balance the (often conflicting) needs of all different sections of society and, as a result, don't agree with what one of those sections wants all the time? :)

That's probably the only part I can answer, inasmuch that one only has to look at the inflated salaries and pension packages these chief executives and "directors" award themselves.

I don't have the answers to the questions I ask.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
To be honest, I don't have any problems whatsoever in finding places to park up.

But then I have a classic Hymer 660S... a sure sign of quality and good breeding...

JJ :cool:
I've seen the recent pictures that you posted. Much prefer a CL/CS campsite to an industrial wasteland, but that is personal preference

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
That's probably the only part I can answer, inasmuch that one only has to look at the inflated salaries and pension packages these chief executives and "directors" award themselves.

(y)(y)

And when they fail, they just move on to another LA with a another ridiculous pay and pension package.............

:madder:

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I really do not understand why anyone should provide 'free' space for motorhomers, if there is a commercial benefit (Canterbury).... fair enough

I would much rather spend my time on a site or CL than a carpark.... even a free one..... unless it's next to a pub in which I would gladly spend a shilling or two.....

.....:whistle::whistle::reel:

Up here they can be a rough piece of ground on a hill with a pretty spectacular view, where you won't be upsetting anyone or in any ones way and not a pub in site. Come up and see for yourself.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Up here they can be a rough piece of ground on a hill with a pretty spectacular view, where you won't be upsetting anyone or in any ones way and not a pub in site. Come up and see for yourself.

Shame about no pub.....but yes I might give it a try....(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

I don't have the answers to the questions I ask.
Which actually proves that it's a part that you can't answer.
Salaries of LA chief officers are calculated on a formula based on the population/area that the authority serves.
I don't know how long that system has been in place but it is several decades and survived the single status scheme by which salaries of lower grades are calculated and which came in around the turn of this century.
One thing is definite about chief officer salaries and that is that they certainly don't "award themselves" what they receive.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
One thing is definite about chief officer salaries and that is that they certainly don't "award themselves" what they receive.
Thanks for the clarification, it's hardly reassuring to know that the obscene financial package that our own unelected (but appointed) chief exec receives is derived from a formula determined by policies that they are themselves paid to manage. A formula denied to his/her own subordinates. The expression that still springs to mind is self serving, which confirms my initial thoughts. Nice job if you can get it

Anyway, off topic and ferry to catch

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for the clarification, it's hardly reassuring to know that the obscene financial package that our own unelected (but appointed) chief exec receives is derived from a formula determined by policies that they are themselves paid to manage. A formula denied to his/her own subordinates. The expression that still springs to mind is self serving, which confirms my initial thoughts. Nice job if you can get it

Anyway, off topic and ferry to catch
No different from the unelected (but appointed) chief execs in private industry really :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
No different from the unelected (but appointed) chief execs in private industry really :)
Haha.. threads gone right off topic but my observation on above commentry Graham would be the level of accountability. .
I don't have a great deal of knowledge on how these things work but the perception is that in the public sector these hi paid officials can get away with running a poor ship...
In the private sector they are much more accountable and would have to go if they don't come up with the goods.
Andy

Last edited:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It's Latheronwheel Old Harbour and yes it's a lovely spot. We just stopped for lunch and ended up staying until the next day.

View attachment 121968
We

Wild camped
Parked
Free loaded
Trespassed?
Used the spot
Insert your own definition here

2 nights ago for a night. The locals were friendly and we left nothing behind.
Would I do it again? Definitely (y)

OP
OP
Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
2 nights ago for a night. The locals were friendly and we left nothing behind.
Would I do it again? Definitely (y)
The question is where does the tipping point come where the number of motorhomes staying there starts to upset the locals and a ban is put into place?

KH

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
The question is where does the tipping point come where the number of motorhomes staying there starts to upset the locals and a ban is put into place?

While the locals make a profit probably ok but when too many leave their footprints rather than their money it will be time for a ban.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I agree. We will only wild at a spot if there are none or one when we arrive.
We don't want to be a part of some encampment or look like we have taken over the LOCALS public spaces.
There is likely to be more and more spots that will have measures taken to stop it if there is no consideration to the locals.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I agree. We will only wild at a spot if there are none or one when we arrive.
We don't want to be a part of some encampment or look like we have taken over the LOCALS public spaces.
There is likely to be more and more spots that will have measures taken to stop it if there is no consideration to the locals.

I agree absolutely with that. When we arrived at lunchtime there was one other van (the one in my pic) that was parked beside the picnic benches and built in BBQ. They were local and just having the day out! During the afternoon folk were coming and going, dog walking etc and all very friendly. Later the German and Belgian vans arrived. We left the next day but the Belgian couple stayed on...because they had negotiated a lobster or two from the fishermen about to go out!

So yes, certainly all very friendly and MH tolerant at the moment I'd say :).

But that is how we have found it generally thought the northern islands and the more remote parts of western Scotland. I never stop if there are more than...well us! I always remain respectful of the local folk...generally ask if it's ok to share their lovely view for a night! We have often taken other folks rubbish away with us.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Two questions.

Does anyone know what happened to the attempt to provide 'aire ' facilities in Weymouth? I believe it was being driven by a council employee who subsequently left.

Of those who advocate a lobbying group for Motorhomes, how many are members of the MCC. There is no possibility of the CC or C&CC activly supporting aire type resources in the UK, but the MCC is hampered by the relative lack of member numbers.

Malcolm

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That would be accountable like people such as Phillip Green, Mike Ashley & Fred Goodwin would it? :)

I wonder how many of the people currently screaming for Phillip Green and Mike Ashley to be burnt at the stake still shop in Arcadia group stores or Sports Direct?

I'd guess most of them (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wonder how many of the people currently screaming for Phillip Green and Mike Ashley to be burnt at the stake still shop in Arcadia group stores or Sports Direct?

I'd guess most of them (y)
I'm sure you are right. They were just the first examples of upstanding members of the private sector business community I could think of off the top of my head :LOL:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the silly bit is some of us wild /free camp some dont . yet its the ones that dont seem to think its the free/wild campers that make it look bad for all .but if you dont wild .free camp how can it look bad for you ?
you wont be there or park there and will be happy on a campsite .
where as we that do free /wild are glad you dont park wild/free what ever as it leaves more space for us .
we dont blame you for going on campsites . but we could .
have fun ,smile , variety is the spice of life.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm sure you are right. They were just the first examples of upstanding members of the private sector business community I could think of off the top of my head :LOL:

I'm sure there are lots more.

My point really was that a lot of people's occupation of the moral high ground slips a bit when they want a cheap pair of jeans or some new trainers. :LOL:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
a lot of people's occupation of the moral high ground slips a bit when they want a cheap pair of jeans or some new trainers. :LOL:

Real motorhomers wear outdoor activity wear..

Mountain Warehouse ..

the discerning shop in Cotswold Outdoors

the rich ... Rohan .. can't buy better

wouldn't be seen dead in Sports Direct.. it's chavland heaven.. .. ( I drop Chaz at the door :LOL:)

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
A big investment of course but clearly there is a market they might be able to exploit if they want.

A French aire I visited had a machine which charged your credit card at the barrier and then printed out codes, one to use for the water if you wanted it and another for EHU if required. The points had keypads where you entered the code. It was all unmanned and generating revenue. This was the machine at the barrier.

View attachment 121799

The service point.

View attachment 121800

Here's the one for the EHU points.

View attachment 121798

I'm a very sad person of course for photographing them!
A good example of ...'you never know when something will come in handy'

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Real motorhomers wear outdoor activity wear..

Mountain Warehouse ..

the discerning shop in Cotswold Outdoors

the rich ... Rohan .. can't buy better

wouldn't be seen dead in Sports Direct.. it's chavland heaven.. .. ( I drop Chaz at the door :LOL:)

I wear a Jottnar Garm softshell jacket.

What does that make me? :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I wear a Jottnar Garm softshell jacket.

What does that make me? :D
.......a bit less well off than before you bought it. I've got a similar Musto jacket (sailing prize) that has been utterly brilliant. Worth paying a bit more for quality (even though I didn't....)

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Barbour and Dubarry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.