Some more motorhome owners spoiling it for the rest of us! (1 Viewer)

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
SWMBO and I stayed a new CS recently.

The site went 'live' this year and is in a great location, handy for the NC500. The facilities are excellent and the owners have put a lot of effort and thought and money into opening their site. Money I may add they are entitled to get a return for.

On chatting to the owner, it seems that he now has to keep the gates closed during the day and switch off the individual EHUs as there have been reports of motorhomes turning up, dumping their waste (grey and black), filling up with fresh water for free and then clearing off! It also appears that someone has arrived late at night, hooked up to the EHU and then cleared off early in the morning without paying! :mad:

They only opened the site a few months ago and already word seems to have got out amongst certain motorhome owners that you can pop in for free and 'service' your MH.

Why do these people think that they can take advantage of someone's private property and business like this?

If this carries on then how long before the site has to be locked up during the day or is even closed or does he have to go to the expense of installing CCTV as well?

I hope that it was not any members of 'Fun'.

KH

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Whether it be Motorhoming or life in general, there's always some freeloading oiks who want something for nothing & give the law abiding majority bad press.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A big investment of course but clearly there is a market they might be able to exploit if they want.

A French aire I visited had a machine which charged your credit card at the barrier and then printed out codes, one to use for the water if you wanted it and another for EHU if required. The points had keypads where you entered the code. It was all unmanned and generating revenue. This was the machine at the barrier.

P7251696.JPG

The service point.

P7251699.JPG

Here's the one for the EHU points.

P7251701.JPG

I'm a very sad person of course for photographing them!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This will be the WILDERS , the free spirits, ( 'freeloaders' ) enjoying the freedom of Scotland , (read pay S.F.All ), and quoting ' the right to roam act' which they think includes motorhomes, they think they can camp where the like and do what they like.. FREE ..

grrrrrrrr :mad:

as for the NC500.. it may become be a victim of it's own success.. the very thing we used to drive there for will be spoiled..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
While agreeing with all previous posts, you have got to remember, we , on fun are quite a minority in the motorhoming stakes , and take it seriously, most of the others are just out for a cheap one off in any old van they can lay their hands on and certainly not going to be paying for campsites and the like, and might not even know of any etiquette in useing CS or anything else that we on here try to adere to, and if you are into Facebook and the like there are actual pages of where you can park up free and chuck your stuff out and that.
This is not to be confused with genuine wild camping, they are never thinking of going back so just ain't bothered.
I am in no way condoning anything like this, but I'm afraid that's the way the country is getting into.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
A big investment of course but clearly there is a market they might be able to exploit if they want.

A French aire I visited had a machine which charged your credit card at the barrier and then printed out codes, one to use for the water if you wanted it and another for EHU if required. The points had keypads where you entered the code. It was all unmanned and generating revenue. This was the machine at the barrier.

View attachment 121799

The service point.

View attachment 121800

Here's the one for the EHU points.

View attachment 121798

I'm a very sad person of course for photographing them!
We stopped at an airre just outside Maastricht this year, and they had the exact same system. I thought it was a great idea! :D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
most of the others are just out for a cheap one off in any old van they can lay their hands on and certainly not going to be paying for campsites and the like,

the very ones who were responsible for the ban on overnight parking on Loch Lomond.. so they will just go elsewhere and spoil another location..

they give us all a bad name

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
the very ones who were responsible for the ban on overnight parking on Loch Lomond.. so they will just go elsewhere and spoil another location..

they give us all a bad name
I know that Jim and wasn't in any way excusing it , but it's what happens and I don't see how anyone is going to stop it, while there are Internet sites promoting such behaviour, and I'll tell you what it's going to get worse not better, as more and more old motorhomes come on to the market and more people are going to be looking for cheap holidays at home.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We wild camped in Scotland it was great the cl owner is right to be annoyed it is theft but it could be an opportunuty to get a good return on his investment. Not all those wilding are in cheap clapped out motorhomes and on Arran there were places which almost seemed designed for wilding in it needs someone in the tourist board to make it more official and make an income for the locals out of it.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The French seem to have it sorted but were a long way behind. I like the idea of being able to pay a couple of euros to dump waste and fill water, it's great.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Makes me so cross when people do this. I have had folk (cyclists mainly) use our water tap without asking........ If they asked I would say to help themselves and help them out with other stuff but just assuming they can makes me so cross. Perhaps I will hang a notice on the tap saying it is for toilet purposes only and contaminated - see if that makes a difference.

If people ask they can pitch a tent and use the garage for repairs - if I think they look okay they can even come and use the loo and shower but I hate it when it is all take.

At a CL / CS if I can't find the owner (and that has happened a few times) I always leave a card with the camping fee in the post box or wherever the owner specified it should be left (once under a rock in an animal feed store!!!!)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I am going on Dragons Den,as "Signs supplier"
NO MONEY LEFT IN THIS MACHINE OVERNIGHT.
Do you reckon i could....Clean up?
Listening in on a conversation some years ago,one lad asking another how a party went."Great,got to the house,it was one of those old fashioned places,with the Gas meter in the cellar,so frst thing i did,was go and rob it....."
YOLO..... You only live once,a growing band of people.
Tea Bag

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I never understood this thinking...

What do folk mean by "Giving us all a bad name"?

So, someone who lives in a house robs a bank... has he given all house dwellers "a bad name"?

Of course not...

Some people are theiving gits and some aren't.

Anyone who judges motorhomers based on the behaviour of one or two of them is misguided.

JJ :cool:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

So, someone who lives in a house robs a bank... has he given all house dwellers "a bad name"?

Of course not...

Some people are theiving gits and some aren't.

Anyone who judges motorhomers based on the behaviour of one or two of them is misguided.

I wanted to say that but couldn't think of the words. I often wildcamp considerately but wouldn't dream of doing that to a site without asking permission and paying for same.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

The same way the football hooligans give all footie fans a bad name.. we know that's not true.. but that's how people who don't like football perceive them..

and it's the same for non-motorhoming people.. they see motorhomers behaving badly and tar us all with the same brush..

Considerate wild camping is perfectly acceptable.. it's the freeloading tossers in the OP who give wilders a bad name.. and in turn, give us all a bad name..

Misguided they may well be.. but that doesn't change perceptions..

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
bet they are all hymer owners:LOL:
like audi drivers laws or rules dont apply to them because its a german motor:LOL:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I wildcamp extensively we cleer up when we arrive and level no signs we have Ben thare.
Whare we fill up if neseserry we will get permition and pay when ever we empty our toilet wast we level it cleaner than we left it always.
It's unfortunate that a small minority seem to disregard the rules of being Curtis and honest
Wildbill

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Well Mr Jim... their perceptions are misguided, illogical and not the result of intelligent thinking. ;)

Can't elaborate now... I have just carried 30 litres of water from the village tap, down my track for the Hymer water tank :angel: and, therefore, I have earned a dip in the crystal clear, cool water in my Intex pool... (y)

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The same way the football hooligans give all footie fans a bad name.. we know that's not true.. but that's how people who don't like football perceive them..

and it's the same for non-motorhoming people.. they see motorhomers behaving badly and tar us all with the same brush..

Considerate wild camping is perfectly acceptable.. it's the freeloading tossers in the OP who give wilders a bad name.. and in turn, give us all a bad name..

Misguided they may well be.. but that doesn't change perceptions..
Spot on there, Jim. Whatever people may think about this, that is the way that the general public and the press will paint us (y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I know that Jim and wasn't in any way excusing it , but it's what happens and I don't see how anyone is going to stop it, while there are Internet sites promoting such behaviour, and I'll tell you what it's going to get worse not better, as more and more old motorhomes come on to the market and more people are going to be looking for cheap holidays at home.
So all us old motor home owners Tared with the same brush :(

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Anyone who provides a service and expects all users to be decent and honest is a gullible fool. The site owner quoted by the OP has made a conscious decision to save money by not installing the type of machine shown by DBK nor seemingly made any other attempt to stop theft.

I guess that you all lock your doors and windows at night or when not in residence (except those who live in rural France of course) or is that different?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Apologies the site owner now keeps the gate closed some of the time thus depriving himself of potential revenue. Is this a case of penny wise and pound foolish?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back