Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Apologies if this is in the wrong section:)

Some time ago I believe there was a problem with the Fiat Ducato reverse gear having a clutch judder.

Was the fault just on manual gearboxes or was there fault on the Comfortmatic box as well ?

Also am I right in saying that there was a recall and put right by Fiat ?

Reason for asking is we've had our Chieftain about two months now

and for one reason or another we've not used her yet,Anyway today I decided to give her a quick run and reversed her quite a way up the drive,Unless its my imagination running away with me I'm sure I felt a slight clutch judder....

How can that be without a tradition clutch.

Any advice or info will be much appreciated.:)

Many thanks and regards.

John P(y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
clutch juddergate was about the manual gearbox. Fiat came up with a few fixes, replacing reverse gear and changing the mountings. never totally solved the problem though it did decrease the shaking. their response since has been basically learn to drive better and live with it

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Many thanks Mr Big One.(y)

Regards

John P:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have a comfortmatic it does have a traditional clutch so you might have felt clutch judder. This is effectively a manual gearbox and clutch but with hydraulics to do what your foot and arm would do on a manual transmission.

It works very well but one thing it doesn't like is slow speed manouvering, so if you have a steep drive don't go up it slowly, this could burn the clutch out.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
comfortmatic gearbox has got a conventional clutch, its not a auto gearbox its robotised, I drive a mini bus with said gearbox I don't get clutch judder with mine just lots of clutch slip when I reverse uphill.
the company I work for has 22 of these buses all about 2 years old, had to replace a number of clutches on them. Just had new intercooler on mine, numerous faults regarding engine management systems. most of the buses have done between 20 to 30 thousand miles.

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005