Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Well after a lot of thinking we have finally decided to by a motorhome -American RV more than likey a Damon Challenger,if not one of the many others but mainly a RV run with either a Cat or Cummins diesel,if possible we would like to know if either of those engines will on bio diesel? also the good old topic of insurance ,what i intend to do is use my max NC from my car if this is transferable?,i havent got round to phoning any insurance companies seems we dont own it yet ,so any ideas what we could be looking at for a lhd american import,and does anyone have any recommendations ..hopefully we are going to be at the Shepton Mallet show in sept as they have said they RV's will be there as down south there are not many sellers or buissness's near us ....any thanks for any help with this :thumb:

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
Insurance

Excellent choice of first motorhome. hope you won't look back

Work your way through this list (and website as its full of useful info about RVs)

MagBaz Travels - 40 Motorhome Insurers

Although only a handful insure RVs so its not too daunting

Your prices are really going to depend on your personal circumstances, your NCD, how far/long your going to travel and also how open you wish to be with your insurer if your full timing!!

Some pay only £300 per years whilst others (like me) pay upwards of £1200 as I'm travelling full time amongst other things.
But my worst quote was £4600

Enjoy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andy 01424

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
Thanks will follow some of these leads i have max ncd and clean licence,wont be doing many miles expect prob under 2k for the first year ,were planning a 3 week trip across France to Spain and back maybe next year,what has made me laugh is i have a chrsyler Voyager and partner wont drive it ,yet as soon as she got into buying the RV she wants to drive it!:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Hi Andy

Good time to buy if going for an RV as lots on the market - don't be overwhelmed by the size and power thing - put your sceptical hat on as you would with any vehicle purchase - check everything works and look for any signs of damp - repairs can be expensive.

Insurance - you will need to phone around as the assessment of risk and what comes in the package (eg European breakdown for your size of vehicle) varies. For example some will base it on your home postcode others where you store the vehicle.

Names to try are Comfort, Safeguard and NFU.

:Smile:
Keith

Upvote 0

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Some Basic Quesions

Hi Andy

Welcome to the site, cant help ref RV as we are getting a 5ver. but we also live in Hastings so just wanted to say Hi.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
hopefully we are going to be at the Shepton Mallet show in sept as they have said they RV's will be there as down south there are not many sellers or buissness's near us ....any thanks for any help with this :thumb:

Hi Andy,

We are near you although we do not sell RV's but I have a couple of nice A class's well suitable for full timing in.

Peter

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Andy Towergate Bakers transferred the NCD from our Nissan micra to our RV, so yes some insurance companies will do it.

Olley

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andy 01424

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
Thanks Pete ,we have been out already and to uhmmm rivals up the rd :RollEyes:,and a few others,after seeing a few on Ebay Youtube,countless we pages ,decided on wanting an RV,good part is a lot of mechanical stuff i can do,if not i grab a friend who is a diesel mechanic::bigsmile: on the Plus side with the RV i also have loads of friends in the US so besides a whole Gearbox or engine i should be able to source parts,Olley if you dont mind me asking [you can pm if you like] whats your insurance bill for the Brave

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back