Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all
Just wondered if you're able to give me some advice regarding my solar panel and battery set up. I currently have 2 x 100 ah leisure batteries and a 140watt solar panel on my van with a controller like this.
IMG_0103.PNG

The problem I'm having is I'm constantly worrying about power, I have no clear indication of what solar power I have left and we'd like to be able to watch tv, have all the lights on, use the radio and er indoors also uses a 12 volt hairdryer. I guess what I need to know is;
Is my set up adaequte for a few days at a time without ehu or should I get another panel fitted, if so what size.
Is there a way of monitoring what power I have left/ have used, I have read about mppt controllers, would it be beneficial to get one of these to replace the current one.
Any advice appreciated (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Evening Dave

Firstly you do not need to know how much solar power you have left, look to the sky for that :):)

I presume you mean how much battery power you have, we need to know what controller you have on the main habitation set up, mine shows volts for hab and cab batts and amps being taken from hab side

Do you have any display that shows your habitation battery voltage?

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Evening Dave

Firstly you do not need to know how much solar power you have left, look to the sky for that :):)

I presume you mean how much battery power you have, we need to know what controller you have on the main habitation set up, mine shows volts for hab and cab batts and amps being taken from hab side

Do you have any display that shows your habitation battery voltage?

Evening Mr G
I do have an instrument panel inside the hab door which shows the state of both batteries but I've always wondered whether this is showing me the state of one of the leisure batteries or both?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Mr G ?? so formal and I have shared intimate Scottish locations with you both :):)

so Mr K (y), see what I did there

having consumed my limit of Tanqueray tonight I will absolve myself from further technical input until daylight (at least) :)

other than to say it hopefully shows both independently (y)

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Mr G ?? so formal and I have shared intimate Scottish locations with you both :):)

so Mr K (y), see what I did there

having consumed my limit of Tanqueray tonight I will absolve myself from further technical input until daylight (at least) :)

other than to say it hopefully shows both independently (y)

:D2 I always respect my elders :D
It's more likely me than you to be fair, on my instrument panel it just shows the voltage of the leisure battery and the vehicle battery with various coloured lights, now I know why Tanqueray is definitely more appealing :)

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Can anyone recommend an mppt controller, reasonably priced that will do the job?
I think I'll start there first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back