Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
RV hopefully
Exp
Hi
We recently bought our first RV & plan to leave the UK in February by ferry to Northern Spain, our thoughts were then to turn west & follow the coast of Spain & eventually down the Portuguese coast to the Med & back into Spain & eventually to France. The RV is 35' approx., will we need to book each stopover in advance or is it feasible to plan something less organised? Is there an organisation who could help to route plan such a trip & advise on stops. Any advice gratefully received!

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You should have little problem on going as you please and planning one or two days ahead. Take a look at Vicarious books website and get some their books of Aires - enjoy your trip

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just plan your first nights stop, campsite or camperstop media will help, and plan as you go along........the Spanish North coast will be quiet as will Portugal up to arriving on the Algarve....then you need to decide where to stay, same applies on the popular parts of the Spanish Costas...arrive early. One point is, as always, Easter....gets busy then, very busy indeed. Enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and welcome to the fun forum. Great advice from Martin, you'll be fine. Enjoy.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to Fun, I would say read as much as you can on the forum, put various relevant questions into the search at the top you will be amazed at the information there, have a look at people's signatures some have links on aires routes etc a mine of information.
:welcomesign:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
In February I think you might find a fair few sites closed in northern Spain. The weather can be a bit indifferent especially in the mountains.

But there are quiet a few publications available listing camper stops and sites.

Acsi is a low season discount card which is available from vicarious books. It comes with a book listing all their partner sites which gives their opening dates.

But as previously advised post some questions on the forum.

OP
OP
T

townhouse104

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
RV hopefully
Exp
Thanks so much to everyone for your time & advice, it is all a bit daunting but I am sure we will be fine once we are off !!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
When I had the R-V. I used the Caravan club Europe book, the Michelin Aires de France. (English translation), I used (still do) "Autoroute" for Planning, although it is now no longer updated. And a decent Sat Nav!, my Garmin has full European ASCI sites loaded. Word of warning, I found that even the "truck" setting will put you wrong occasionally!. I double check with a Truckers Atlas!. A lot of people stick to toll roads, but I found that you can get just as far almost as quick on N roads, without cost.

OP
OP
T

townhouse104

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
RV hopefully
Exp
Thanks Pete, I am just having a new sat nav fitted but will take your advice & double check everything on a truckers road atlas.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i just used all the aires books. we didnt have any problems on where to park as long as you make sure its the right ones.
in the book they have pictures of a coach. we used them.
good luck on your trip ,may see you down there in march .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back