Some advice please for September trip

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Moragm, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Moragm

Moragm Read Only Funster

As we only have 2weeks holiday and live near Aberdeen we are taking the Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry the last week of September. We would be grateful for any advice on routes/ places to visit etc. Would it be too far to travel to Czech Republic? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

2. bluemog

bluemog Funster

We live in Peterhead and have also used the Newcastle ferry. We go away for 8/9months at a time now and trundle down to Portugal for the winter but when we used to just have 2 weeks holiday we would go to Germany and take our time travelling the Mosel and Rhine or the Hartz Mountains .....all gorgeous! I would find going to the Czech Republic in 2 weeks a bit of a rush (but certainly could be done) and you'd miss out on such a lot and feel the need for a holiday when you got home.

• Like Like x 3
  3. lorger

lorger Funster

We will be on the Newcastle Ferry on the 21st of September, heading to Berlin for the week which is a lovely city if you haven't visited.

• Like Like x 1
  4. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Depends on how far you're prepared to drive in a day. German autobahns are of a similar quality to our motorways, and not being toll roads they're about as busy. Assume an average speed of 50mph and you wouldn't be far wrong. I'd be thinking in terms of 3 overnight stops after leaving the ferry before getting to somewhere like Prague, and most of the days would be spent driving.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

We hope to be on the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry early September. We should be going on a climbing/trekking trip in Poland but due to an injured husband we had to cancel. Instead we may spend time in Holland, Germany, etc. I'll post on here if we find things of interest. Something may be of use to you!

What sort of things interest you?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tony Roberts

Tony Roberts

If you go to the Czech Republic we very much enjoyed theeastern part of Germany know as "Saxon Switzerland'. Stayed at a cracking stellplatz in Struppen. Lots to see including Kongstein fortress and excellent cycling around the Elbe river.

Regards
    tony

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tony Roberts

Tony Roberts

Forgot to sat how much we enjoyed the Czech Republic. Again lots to see and prices very reasonable. If you go to Prague there is a great campsite at Vrane - 30 minutes by train from central Prague and train tickets only 2 euro.

Regards
    tony

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Moragm

Moragm Read Only Funster

Thank you all for your replies. On reflection I think we will most likely travel around Holland/Germany to make the most of our holiday

• Like Like x 1
  9. roamingman

roamingman Funster

A must do is the bulb field's take the coast road to the hook-of-holland and see the muirdem modle village, then on the way to Roterdam delft china, or go north for edam chease, I would find somewhere to park near Amsterdam and take a ride on the cannal, quite a lot to see there.
    Then on to Germany lots of lovely places to see on the river rine not sure I spelled that right.

• Like Like x 1