Some advice on battery (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi
I have posted this info request on the Tech forum but thought to ask also on Chat .

I could do with a bit of advice if any Funsters are able concerning my two leisure batteries that appear fully discharged.A bit of background may help.

The van was laid up for the last 10 weeks with the Autotrail Sargent E500 charger unit mains switch left on because the literature said with it left on the leisure,with a 100w roof solar, would supply a top up to the engine battery that supplies the alarm system.Previous years I have not left it on and the engine battery was flat on our return due to the pull from the alarm but the leisures was always ok.

I decided the engine battery must have been ruined and therefore was always pulling from the leisure eventually draining them.The engine battery has now been replaced but after 4 hrs driving and 5 days on 240v the leisures are at 9.6 v and obviously not taking a charge.

My questions come after visiting my local dealership shop sales.They have suggested I get them to do a drop test to see if they are unusable or simply not accepting a charge because no amount of driving or van charger will bring them back to about 50% where such things would start to charge them.A stand alone trickle charger will be the only thing that can do this from flat and of course they can sell me a Ctek one for £150.00 !

They are Banner 12V K5/75Ah K20/100Ah and now 3.5 years old. What are the best make if I need to replace them .They sell a make called Platinum for £140.00 each.

I will do the drop test this Thursday and then see which way to go

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just checked out a link from Enword (thanks Enword) that got me to a NCC Verified Leisure Battery Scheme and very interesting reading it makes.

I presently have 2 x Class B Banner 957 51 with 200 Life Cycles 50% DoD ? the shop seems to be selling me a Class A Platinum ( 3 models ) with 500 Life Cycles

This would appear to be a good thing as Class A are for people who do not use hook ups often ( thats us) and Class B are for more frequent 240v sites.

We could likely have reached this magical 200 cycle point and simply have run out of usable life.We should always have used Class A but the originals came with the Autotrail from new.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back