solution hopefully found for wearing tyres (1 Viewer)

nannyjan

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Thank you all for your help and advice. I went to a weighbridge today and found that my front axle weight was 1480 kgs and back axle weight was 1680 kgs and the gross weight was 3140kgs. The Maximum permissible weight is 3300 kgs so I was well below this maximum and I think I have very little extra belongings to put in when I go on my travels.
As advised I telephoned Continental tyres and they were extremely helpful and informed me on those weights my front tyres should be 55 and the rear tyres should be 66. The van was delivered with 69 in each tyre and that was with it unladen so where do they get these pressures from?
Pappajohn with the weighbridge details do you think the 55 and 66 tyre pressures are correct? It just seems rather low but the manufacturer double checked and assured me all is okay. Your opinion on this and others would be appreciated.
So the Elddis advice of 60 front and 65 back is not far out however their data does not say whether that is laden or unladen.
I have been in a horrific car accident through a tyre blow out and it is so important to get the tyre pressures correct so thank you for suggesting the weighbridge avenue as unless you know the weight of your motorhome you cannot know the correct tyre pressure. It is well worth the little effort involved to weigh your motorhome so that you keep safe and within the legal weight boundaries. Obviously it does no harm just to make future visits weighbridge regularly as we all add items to our motorhomes, I was very lucky and they didnt even charge me.
What I am confused about is that some of you and the tyre manufacturer informed me that when all four tyres wear inside and out it is normally due to underinflation however this was not the case for me as I am extremely overinflated which should result in wear in the middle of the tyre.
Continental tyres have offered to send a field manager out to see my tyres if the wearing persists after altering to the correct tyre pressure so that the problem can finally be resolved. Fantastic service!!!!!!

Please all keep safe and make sure you have correct tyre pressure and apparantely it also helps the old fuel go a little further.

Thanks again to you all I feel much happier and safer now.Kind Regards and Keep Smiling ::bigsmile:Nannyjan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What I am confused about is that some of you and the tyre manufacturer informed me that when all four tyres wear inside and out it is normally due to underinflation however this was not the case for me as I am extremely overinflated which should result in wear in the middle of the tyre.
Continental tyres have offered to send a field manager out to see my tyres if the wearing persists after altering to the correct tyre pressure so that the problem can finally be resolved.

Yes, that is very strange.. frankly it doesn't make sense ..

look forward to reading the field managers report .. thanks for update

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Jan,

unfortunately without your tyre size and load index i cant work it out but the tyre manufacturers will know better than anything i can calculate so stick with their recommendations.

at first glance it would appear, using the chart in downloads section, your rears should be 62psi and the fronts 50psi.

as i said, without the size and load index its not possible to calculate.
also whether they are light commercial tyres (doubtful on a new van) or proper camping tyres.

john.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
HI nANnyjan, As you know I have an Eldiss too and I have been really confused because when I put the suggested pressures in (again they don't say whether they mean loaded or unloaded), then my tyres LOOK as though they need air in.

I took them where I get my MOT and they too said they felt that I needed more than the book recommended..... so I watch with interest what your man says.:Smile:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
nannyjan,

Download and have a look at the tyre sheet John put on the site here, it may help you.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back