Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Back on the road after a 4 yr break
I am a lone traveller (unless my dog is counted) and would like to meet other such beings. This 'solo traveller' section seems to have dried up in Oct. Have they all gone to ground or communicating some where else? It was suggested early in the thread that solo travellers could have a password to access info about solo meets. Though I apreciate the security aspect of this it appears to be a bit of a Catch 22 situation. How do I get to meet a fellow solo traveller to obtain the password after reassuring them that I don't have two heads or a psychopathic personality? I aquired my motor home in April after taking early retirement and would like to explore the UK this coming year, walking some of the old railway trails. The dog is great company but lacks conversation and sense of humor. So please can someone enlighten me.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Dreckly and welcome to the Fun (as they say around here)

You are right in so far as the Solo section has been rather quiet. I am one of them and as Jim (our Honourable Leader) (may his name be forever praised) has actually met me and has established that I am indeed a single he gave me the password. This allows acess to certain parts of the section but to be honest I haven't needed to use it. The solos soon learn who we all are and as yet, I don't think anyone has set up a solo meet.

We have been asked to be careful re who we give the password to but in fact you have been the only new "solo" I am aware of for some time.

I'm sure Jim will give you the password in due course if you ask nicely (tip. say you love rugby... it will help your cause!)

JJ

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
solo travelers

hi drecly........welcome to fun..........come in to chat one nite,most of the solo,s are in there.and we will give you the rundown on things...i,e.whats going on etc...regards smudger..........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Though I apreciate the security aspect of this it appears to be a bit of a Catch 22 situation. How do I get to meet a fellow solo traveller to obtain the password after reassuring them that I don't have two heads or a psychopathic personality?

That was what I said. The answer was to attend a "normal" meet so other Funsters get to know you first and then Jim will give you the Password.

But they don't seem to have meets in hailing distance for me, other than New Year for which I was already comitted elsewhere before I read about it, and the big RVs meet at Oswestry where I feel my little Tranny van would look a bit lost.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Getting to meets might pose a problem but the one thing I can really guarantee you is not a problem is the size and condition of your motorhome.

I have attended several meets in my old, rusty, dented, unfinished self build Iveco and have been made most welcome by everyone whether they are in monster rvs or tiny little campervans.

JJ

Canned Heat

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Lancs ( at the moment )
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
0 yet :))
Greetings. I to will be solo travelling ( just waiting for my auto-trail to be built ). It was a dream of my wife and i but sadly she died of cancer last year so i am fullfilling our dream on my own. I hope to meet up sometime in 2010 with fellow motorhomers.

steve.::bigsmile:

midlander9

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Dudley West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Five
Hi funsters all, I have also become a solo traveller for 2010, Wife passed away middle of the year, hoping the new year will bring more adventure and fun, and hopfully meet some fellow funsters on my travels.

Mike

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If its any consolation to you solo travelers,I traveled through most of Europe and North Africa alone for several years,and met many many solo travelers.
At first I can understand the trepidation of traveling alone,you always think of it as somthing that couples do.
You will find as you go along that most people are helpfull,and believe me you will never be alone,there is always someone to chew the fat with.
Most of my friends I have met whilst traveling,and I try to keep in touch with them all and see them at least once a year.
Ask yourself the question,is it better to sit at home,waiting for the ineviteble,or go out and find new friends and new things to do.:thumb:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You are not alone - there are a few of us about::bigsmile:

Going on the Italian Job next may as a solo, but driving down with other m/h (personal safety always a consideration), so if you are feeling adventureus, why not come along??

S.:thumb:

Canned Heat

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Lancs ( at the moment )
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi.
I cannot wait for my adventure to start. I will never be alone, i will have you funsters :Smile::Smile:

Happy new year to all.
steve.

OP
OP
dreckly

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, lets try to keep it going. Still trying to navigate my way around this web site, nothing wrong with the site just that I am a reformed Luddite who is willing to embrace the technology but lack the skill. The next rally appears to be mid Feb and a bit too north for me at this time of year being a southern softy. Or am I looking in the wrong place? How do these events happen and who can organise them, can we? Or do we need some special power or secret squirrel password?
The Italian job is tempting but I am not keen to commit so far ahead, maybe 'wing it' nearer the time. Looking forward to meeting fellow travellers somewhere, somehow in the not too distant future. Happy new year. Sue.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi,
I was pm'ed about 'The Loners Group' for single, widowed and divorced campers - might be of use :thumb:

S

OP
OP
dreckly

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
hi drecly........welcome to fun..........come in to chat one nite,most of the solo,s are in there.and we will give you the rundown on things...i,e.whats going on etc...regards smudger..........
Thanks Smudger, Would like to come in to chat when I work out how to!:Doh:
Regards Sue.

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Hi Sue (dreckly)

Thanks for injecting some life into this section.... it was in dire need:winky:

looking forward to a more positive 2010... and maybe a meet or three:thumb:

I'll be looking towards France/Germany anytime around April ... weather dependent:Cool: plus Scotland around Easter/ June / July
....any time, any excuse will do ::bigsmile:

Dog friendly (that means no extra exorbitant fee!!!) sites only :thumb:

Whilst we're on the subject... forget any site that charges for couples and won't give a 'single' discount!!

________
Graham

Last edited by a moderator:

Crafty-Camper

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
North West ( Lancashire)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
1st Year
Another kind of single one here to, I have children, but they are growing up & often do their own thing, but no partner. Joined a local camping group last year & was made very welcome. Hope to camp more this year though as have only just bought a proper camper, so should make things much easier for me.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, lets try to keep it going. Still trying to navigate my way around this web site, nothing wrong with the site just that I am a reformed Luddite who is willing to embrace the technology but lack the skill. The next rally appears to be mid Feb and a bit too north for me at this time of year being a southern softy. Or am I looking in the wrong place? How do these events happen and who can organise them, can we? Or do we need some special power or secret squirrel password?
The Italian job is tempting but I am not keen to commit so far ahead, maybe 'wing it' nearer the time. Looking forward to meeting fellow travellers somewhere, somehow in the not too distant future. Happy new year. Sue.

:Smile: Hi Sue, glad to see you are still around, when we took you under our wing and got you to sign the fun pledge ::bigsmile: we should have got on the internet and we could have given a demonstration.:winky::Smile:
We knew you did not take it in, after a bottle of wine.:wine::wine::wine:

Catch up again soon.:thumb: Bob and Jane. :Smile:

OP
OP
dreckly

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
:Smile: Hi Sue, glad to see you are still around, when we took you under our wing and got you to sign the fun pledge ::bigsmile: we should have got on the internet and we could have given a demonstration.:winky::Smile:
We knew you did not take it in, after a bottle of wine.:wine::wine::wine:

Catch up again soon.:thumb: Bob and Jane. :Smile:
Well Bob and Jane how eagle eyed of you to spot my dalliance into the forum, you did indeed teach me all I know, sadly this did not include the internet stuff. I am about to buy myself a laptop so it will be another baptism of fire and steep learning curve. Getting on great with the van, clocked up 8.000+ miles since April, almost as many as it did in it's first three years. Peggys ability to navigate has not improved and she doesn't appreciate my sparkling banter, she makes me smile though. It would be great to meet up with you both again so do let me know if you are attending any events where I could come along. Apparently I need to prove that I am genuinely a solo person and presumably not compleatly bonkers or a threat to national security to someone called Jim who likes rugby. So maybe two birds with one stone, I hope he will at least make himself known by wearing the ubiquitous carnation, what a lark.
Happy new year
Sue.

Canned Heat

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Lancs ( at the moment )
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi all.
How widespread a problem is sites charging "singles" the couples rate ?. Thats something i hadn't thought of, do the caravan & camping club and caravan club sites offer "singles" single rate ?.

All the best for 2010.

steve.

OP
OP
dreckly

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all.
How widespread a problem is sites charging "singles" the couples rate ?. Thats something i hadn't thought of, do the caravan & camping club and caravan club sites offer "singles" single rate ?.

All the best for 2010.

steve.
The CC club charges a pitch fee and a per person fee, so no problem there. I don't know the charging structure for the C and C club.
Hope this helps.

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
As far as I'm aware Steve, both clubs charge per adult...

Canned Heat

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Lancs ( at the moment )
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Cheers for the help guys/gals.
Ringing the sites up and asking is probably the best bet. Any good sites in west Cornwall, heading down there on my first trip in 2010.

steve.

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Bliadhna Mhath Ùr duibh!

to all solo travellers :winky:

::bigsmile::thumb: go 2010

(that's twenty ten, or ten past eight for those on 24h :Smile:)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Happy New Year.

I hope to start making more journeys in my camper this year (two,zero, one,zero :roflmto:) and I hope to meet some of the solo travellers on my way. :thumb:

All the best for 2010!

Regards
Phil

OP
OP
dreckly

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Cheers for the help guys/gals.
Ringing the sites up and asking is probably the best bet. Any good sites in west Cornwall, heading down there on my first trip in 2010.

steve.
Hi Steve,
If you are a member the Caravan club site at Godrevy is at a great location. Or there are a couple near Portscatho though I don't recall their names. Depends what you are looking for really, most of the coastal areas are outstandingly beautiful but can be crowded in mid summer so avoid places like Newquay during the school holidays unless you like to go clubbing and are happy to put up partying neighbours.
Cheers
Sue

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
vwt4 trident 1995 hightop
Exp
5 years
@dreckly hi, i am from penzance, will be at st.just rugby club campsite from may12 to june 6, why not come on over and meet up theres a good club house there, pip

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
..am I going bonkers or is this from 2010? o_O

.. or maybe both.