solo motorhome travel

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by paulharrison, May 4, 2009.

1. paulharrison

paulharrison Read Only Funster

I find myself at a very strange time just lost my wife and very diffecult to go away in the Rv as every thing is couples which is great and l have enjoyed that for the last 20 years, but now l feel like a spare p*** at a wedding, l am not anti sosuable and can mix, carnt spell, anybody been there any tips. Paul

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Paul sorry to hear about yor loss. Just attend meets as per normal you can still enjoy them, there are plenty of other singles out there. no need to hold back you will always be made welcome at "Fun" meets so get booking Now.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
    Come and meet people in chat, we don't bite, unless you are female and ask nicely.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Paul, I can only guess but it must be difficult to do things on your own that you once did together with your wife. However, its rare on Fun meets not to have singles attend so at least there you won't suffer from that Gooseberry feeling.

I have been asked if I should set up a solo motorhomers section here before, not given it much thought since then, maybe we should.

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Hi Paul
    I can only echo Wildmans comments, I can think of a couple of chaps in your position and a few ladies too, who regularly attend the fun meets, get in the coach and come join us, any time any meet you will be more than made welcome, as for the spelling welcome to the club:Doh:
    Geo

5. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

That is a definite YES !!! A friend of ours "gizmo" on the site but too shy to post, is a lone female now after her husband died and has joined a couple of singles groups that she found in the MMM.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

6. daveyboy

daveyboy Read Only Funster

firstly, sorry about your loss.

now you quite simply have to get out and about.
    if you fancy something slightly different to normal camping then get youself off to yanks weekend at shakespear county raceway at stratford on avon at the end of the month, see a whole line up of yank cars racing down the strip. plenty of rv,s there.

i believe there are a few people attending this event and then attending the caravan and camping show at stratford racecourse. you could turn the two into a nice weeklong holiday.

7. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

SNAP!!! albeit 6 years ago(still feels like yesterday). I go to most of the shows and park up with the mob. My problem is going away touring, all seems so pointless. but I did force my self last year, 3 weeks through France and Spain. Lonely or what! but managed to enjoy myself. The only advice I can give, is push and enjoy.

Don

8. paulharrison

However, its rare on Fun meets not to have singles attend so at least there you won't suffer from that Gooseberry feeling.

Hi Jim no problem on Fun meets, met some great people at Newark its the bigger pitcure like traveling abroad, l have done it and phoned the kids every day but you feel very vonrable if you had a medicle problem, a solo travel forum may be a idea as l think theres a lot of people like me and it can happen to us all, and anythink helps. Paul

9. paulharrison

I go there a lot and will be at the Yanks weekend Paul

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Read Only Funster

thats great news paul. attending myself so hope you dont mind if i pop over and say hello.:Cool:

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

sorry for your sad loss paul.

dont worry about being a lone motorhomer.

i usualy end up going to the meets/shows on my own so no big deal really.

12. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Hi Paul
    We met at Newark in the pavilion.
    Are you coming to the bring and buy meet with Haganap in June at Cheshire or the show at Stratford?
    Love to see you there and catch up.:Smile::Smile:
    Lucille

13. paulharrison

Hi Jim a solo travel section would be a good idea for funsters who want to go abroad and keep in touch Paul

14. johng

johng Read Only Funster

Hi Paul, my sympathies..

Try something like

companions to travel .com (C2T.com possibly) it costs a couple of quid, and I am not sure how many users are still active...

Quite a few folks on there may be in a similar position.. I sometimes post, to see if anyone wants the odd week away.. got some interest although the van is undergoing surgery at moment...

John

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  15. upmarkethippy

upmarkethippy Read Only Funster

Hi Paul,
    I am off to Croatia at the end of July, If you fancy a trip in that direction. Only a two week trip is planned but I will be popping off across to Parc Verger on the way back so you could join me there too. You will always be made welcome at the meets as i have been. ( Single Bloke with two dogs).
    Happy travels,
    Cheyne

16. RuthRv

RuthRv Read Only Funster

Hi Paul,
    so sorry to hear your sad news, but please don't hide away, i get what you are saying that meets are not such a problem, its when you go touring that you feel it the most, but I am sure that the tips that you have been given on this site will help, good luck for the future and keep your chin up.:thumb:

17. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

Paul, firstly sincere condolances on your loss, it must be hard.

However, Jim is right, I was recently at two Fun meet ups on my own and het a lot of people and didn't get the 'gooseberry' feeling at all.

My future MHing in Uk will predominantly be on my own with only the one annual trip with all the pack so I'll buy you a beer if we bump into each other in the future (That's a promise)

18. pudseykeith

pudseykeith Read Only Funster

Hi Paul
    So sorry to hear of your great loss. Its a an event that all couples dread. you must stick to your friends tho and continue to do the things you enjoy doing. Stick with the Fun, a friendlier bunch of people is hard to find.
    Best wishes,
    Rosalie and pudseykeith.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  19. paulharrison

Thanks to everybody got some possitve tips now see you at stratford Lucille
    and any solo travel out there thinking of going to the Munich beer fest in sept get in touch
    Paul

20. johng

johng Read Only Funster

Munich beer fest.... now that would be good..