SOLO FRANCE FOR THE FIRST TIME (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I'm now committed to the Plymouth - Roscoff ferry after lots of dithering and now it's dither time again over whether to tow my little Honda behind, and then where to go, and will my extremely rusty schoolboy French be adequate and, and...... Oh heck, another wave of apprehension. Pack the credit card and passport, don't forget the vehicle documents and travel and breakdown insurance and maps and....
Pardon me folks, just a crisis of confidence!

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
If, by any chance, you are on the afternoon ferry on 19 May I will see you aboard :hi:

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Don't forget to read up on Gassing, A Frames, Emptying you Grey Waste, Tolls & Maximum Weights :eek:
Have a good trip!:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Not to worry ! We'll all be there, waiting for the news you'll be wishing to give us (Mac Donald WIFI) !

Any problem with the language, give a shout on here using this @yodeli

Otherwise, it's the right moment to use the French roads, holidays are over till July now. May be a bit of a crowed time next weekend as it's bank holiday here. Monday the 16th most places will be shut. Bakeries should be open.
Nuff said , off you go... you're a big Teddy !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You'll be fine. If I can drive a motorhome around France on my own, you can do it.
Roads are far less crowded than here and if you make an effort with the language, that's good enough.
Tourist information offices are always helpful and it would be unusual to find one where at least one staff member doesn't speak some English.
Always smile, always say merci and you'll be fine.

Enjoy it--- far more pleasurable than driving in the UK.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
I really hope you have a good time John, where are you heading to? The roads are much much more pleasant over there, just find somewhere sunny and chat to anyone who seems friendly.
It is a shame that there isnt an annual singles trip that folks on there own could just sign up for and then all mosey off together on. I know lots of people who are on their own and it seems that they really do miss out through lack of companionship. My brother having been married and fleeced twice wont marry again or really even dip his toes in the water. He was coming with us to Italy for a couple of weeks but now he cant get the time off work, he might come in September, meanwhile he is a great house sitter for us but It is a bit of a lonely life for him.
Anyway good for you, Bon Voyage and post some pictures please, I love to see where everyone goes.
You could always write a fictional blog and spice it all up a bit for the Nosey Mares club! We like a good Tail /Tale!

Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
it is all so easy. understand your apprehension but there are aires to stay at in so many towns and villages(download campercontact for your convenience works off line as well) roads are a joy to travel on, a bit like driving was in England in the 1960's. be aware as I am sure you have already seen you should carry a red triangle for the road and a green hiviz jacket. Go and enjoy it is absolutley fantastic. any questions you have please do not hesitate to ask. cheers

OP
OP
DiggerJon
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Well folks, I'm here! The ferry crossing was like a mill pond and we docked in Roscoff in thick fog - I couldn't even see the sea from deck 6 so thank heavens for radar! Good old ACSI card worked a treat and I'm snugged in on a campsite near Vannes, vast pitches and absolutely peaceful - just what the doctor ordered. Now to get that scooter off for some touring around tomorrow to see if it's worth staying longer!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well folks, I'm here! The ferry crossing was like a mill pond and we docked in Roscoff in thick fog - I couldn't even see the sea from deck 6 so thank heavens for radar! Good old ACSI card worked a treat and I'm snugged in on a campsite near Vannes, vast pitches and absolutely peaceful - just what the doctor ordered. Now to get that scooter off for some touring around tomorrow to see if it's worth staying longer!
So glad you've arrived safely and enjoying the peace and quiet after the crossing. Enjoy and post photos if you can.
Keep in touch and enjoy the French cheese ,bread and wine!!(y)

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
So pleased you've made it, you've done the hardest part, taken the 1st step the rest will be easy.

Enjoy yourself and keep us posted on your adventure.

Liz

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Echoing others comments really - pleased for you to have made the big step
Have a safe & enjoyable trip
Debs NMC (Hons.) :D

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Whats for tea John, now you are in the sights of the NMC you will have to tell us every little detail:winky:. Is it still foggy:france:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just caught up with the thread and you are already there, sounds as if you have made a good start, now you know we are following you to see how your getting on, so any photo's and updates great, the main thing is to enjoy it. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back