Solo Female Travellers In Mainland Europe (1 Viewer)

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Hello ladies, I have been a member for a while but never attended a rally yet. I have booked the Stratford Motorhome Show and will be with the Motorhome Fun peeps. Are there any solo ladies also attending? Of course I am looking forward to meeting all fellow members next week.

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Hi HushSpain There are quite a few solo ladies, not sure that's the correct term, ladies I mean. some will be at Stratford and several have booked Malvern in August. So :pink:

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Hello ladies, I have been a member for a while but never attended a rally yet. I have booked the Stratford Motorhome Show and will be with the Motorhome Fun peeps. Are there any solo ladies also attending? Of course I am looking forward to meeting all fellow members next week.
welcome. im booked into the Weymouth meet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you Indy259 and camperlove for your welcome. Looking forward to meeting you both, so will have a look at when the Weymouth meet is. On another note, how do I change my Funster name? I don't know why I chose that.....duhhh......:(

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Thank you Indy259 and camperlove for your welcome. Looking forward to meeting you both, so will have a look at when the Weymouth meet is. On another note, how do I change my Funster name? I don't know why I chose that.....duhhh......:(
don't know about name change but do try to get to Weymouth meet. I know a dave something or other, and mimi are solos attending. ive only been to one small meet in detling, and it was my first. Was nervous as hell as I haven't always heard favourable reviews towards solos. Also i have a problem of being a loner. But I turned out having quite a good time, and never felt excluded. Just the opposite. I was knackered with all the talking and invites. Only 15 vans and I didn't have time to meet everyone! I think one important thing is NOT sit inside your van all the time. People will not knock on your door as that's an invasion of privacy. If you are outside your van, then people will come up and say theres tea and cake at that van, or we meeting there at 8 to go to the club etc.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
don't know about name change but do try to get to Weymouth meet. I know a dave something or other, and mimi are solos attending. ive only been to one small meet in detling, and it was my first. Was nervous as hell as I haven't always heard favourable reviews towards solos. Also i have a problem of being a loner. But I turned out having quite a good time, and never felt excluded. Just the opposite. I was knackered with all the talking and invites. Only 15 vans and I didn't have time to meet everyone! I think one important thing is NOT sit inside your van all the time. People will not knock on your door as that's an invasion of privacy. If you are outside your van, then people will come up and say theres tea and cake at that van, or we meeting there at 8 to go to the club etc.
Camper love I'm not a solo but just reading the thread. I was surprised about knocking on doors or not is that protocol? I must admit I did knock when I saw someone on the forum at our first meet didn't realise I wasn't supposed to!!:doh:

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Camper love I'm not a solo but just reading the thread. I was surprised about knocking on doors or not is that protocol? I must admit I did knock when I saw someone on the forum at our first meet didn't realise I wasn't supposed to!!:doh:
well that's what I have wrongly/rightly always believed. but as ive only every wildcamped, maybe its a wild camping thing???? Now I think about it, it probably is, as once on a field with many people, I guess one is safe. Maybe some more experienced persons can enlighten us.??

The way it was explained years ago, which made sense, if there is a van in front of you with curtains closed and door shut, it means they unavailable, bonking, sleeping, ill, or out. Don't disturb, especially if door closed. If someone available, the door will be open, and more than likely sitting outside.

As a solo traveller, I am very nervous if in my van reading, and I get a knock on my door when dark or a head through my window. Its always a man, asking some useless question, like the time, and its never a camper, but usually a cruiser.
This is a true story...last year in a truckers layby in sheerness, I was parked in front of my travel buddy who preferred that layby as he has a big van. My curtains were closed, but I left the door open because I was expecting him over to play scrabble. I heard a knock, said come in, turned around, to find a young 20yr old man sitting in the passenger seat. He was cruising for sex. I had a longish talk with him as he is the age of my son. I asked him why my door?, did he knock on my mates door, everyones door? No, he saw me arrive, and noticed I was female and alone, and perhaps was available. I hung around the streets with my mate for about 3 months, and he couldn't believe the number of men cruising around my van trying to get my attention. None were campers.
Another time I was with my mate, and a couple. I was parked in the middle of them. It was day time and I was doing my tax papers. I got a call to say don't turn around but there is a man behind your van with a balaclava on. Don't worry I am keeping my eye on. He was watched walking towards a large group of fishermen. My friend made a plan that my van (end bed) would park in front of him with a tight fit so no- one can get between us. His dog sleeps on his front seat, right behind my bed.

I suppose this wouldn't happen on a rally, but still I wouldn't go up to a van if the door was shut, without an invite.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
well that's what I have wrongly/rightly always believed. but as ive only every wildcamped, maybe its a wild camping thing???? Now I think about it, it probably is, as once on a field with many people, I guess one is safe. Maybe some more experienced persons can enlighten us.??

The way it was explained years ago, which made sense, if there is a van in front of you with curtains closed and door shut, it means they unavailable, bonking, sleeping, ill, or out. Don't disturb, especially if door closed. If someone available, the door will be open, and more than likely sitting outside.

As a solo traveller, I am very nervous if in my van reading, and I get a knock on my door when dark or a head through my window. Its always a man, asking some useless question, like the time, and its never a camper, but usually a cruiser.
This is a true story...last year in a truckers layby in sheerness, I was parked in front of my travel buddy who preferred that layby as he has a big van. My curtains were closed, but I left the door open because I was expecting him over to play scrabble. I heard a knock, said come in, turned around, to find a young 20yr old man sitting in the passenger seat. He was cruising for sex. I had a longish talk with him as he is the age of my son. I asked him why my door?, did he knock on my mates door, everyones door? No, he saw me arrive, and noticed I was female and alone, and perhaps was available. I hung around the streets with my mate for about 3 months, and he couldn't believe the number of men cruising around my van trying to get my attention. None were campers.
Another time I was with my mate, and a couple. I was parked in the middle of them. It was day time and I was doing my tax papers. I got a call to say don't turn around but there is a man behind your van with a balaclava on. Don't worry I am keeping my eye on. He was watched walking towards a large group of fishermen. My friend made a plan that my van (end bed) would park in front of him with a tight fit so no- one can get between us. His dog sleeps on his front seat, right behind my bed.

I suppose this wouldn't happen on a rally, but still I wouldn't go up to a van if the door was shut, without an invite.
Wow how frightening is that for you.rallies are different I think as most people have paid to attend and of course I wouldn't knock on anyone's door if I thought they were asleep or 'busy'!!!
I hope you have safe travels from now on but you sound like you are very safe savvy! Good luck and may meet on a rally sometime!
I have seen the sign 'Don't come knocking when the vans a rocking' ! So will take heed!!(y)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Camperlove. Gosh, I had no idea that there are actually men out there just cruising in the hope of a quick 'pick up'. I, like you, have wild camped a few times, which is something I prefer to do, however, I am also conscious that in a lot of places it is not safe, and I don't actually relax so well, which kind of defeats the object. I am grateful that you have spoken about your experiences as it will definitely make me more vigilant. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to Weymouth as I have commitments which stop me being away as often as I would like. I hope we can meet up one day though......lets stay in touch.
Wishing you happy travels x

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Hi Camperlove. Gosh, I had no idea that there are actually men out there just cruising in the hope of a quick 'pick up'. I, like you, have wild camped a few times, which is something I prefer to do, however, I am also conscious that in a lot of places it is not safe, and I don't actually relax so well, which kind of defeats the object. I am grateful that you have spoken about your experiences as it will definitely make me more vigilant. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to Weymouth as I have commitments which stop me being away as often as I would like. I hope we can meet up one day though......lets stay in touch.
Wishing you happy travels x
you might be interested in something someone is researching for me which might make you more relaxed. Im very interested in it because once my curtains are closed I don't know whats going on outside, also in general im not very aware of whats going on around me. its lights which are solar powered, and when someone comes near your van your phone rings. will keep you posted. I might add ive never had any problems overseas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back