Sole male traveller – sharing expenses and exploring options open to me? Any offers?

Discussion in 'Solo travellers' started by Freespirit1, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Freespirit1

Freespirit1 Read Only Funster

Having now made the decision to retire gracefully and take to the road with you Motorhomefun members I’ve joined this site and am exploring the options that I might have.
    The problem is however – I don’t have a Motorhome and don’t have the capital to buy that quality motorhome at this time until my building plot sells and there are no signs of that these days!
    I am considering the quick and easy option of buying a cheap van and throwing a mattress in the back with the usual odds and ends to make things more comfortable. However judging by the content and quality of the members here I don’t think I would be welcome alongside your magnificent motorhomes and in any case quality and comfort is very much more my style too – lol.
    Another option has crossed my mind – and it is to you members I look to see if there is indeed this option open to me?
    Find another Sole Motorhome owner who might consider taking me along with them until I can afford my own vehicle – this way I will be able to evaluate the lifestyle without that large capital outlay and start down the road of making friends sooner rather than later and even finding that ideal partner with very similar interests and lifestyle – what better place to find her!
    The advantages to my host would be shared costs and the usual chores etc. and hopefully welcome my company on their travels?
    Admittedly this option is a “Big ask” as to whether it would be possible or not but if I don’t ask I won’t find out – and maybe there are members out there that might like to explore the possibility too. I don’t see myself sharing with another guy and so it’s an even bigger ask of a solo lady member? however there might well be a couple out there that might be interested too?
    Well at least my newbie first posting might be somewhat new and novel from the usual ones?
    Many thanks for your time and consideration, Chris.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

God my ribs are sore,good luck!

Vlad.

• Like Like x 6
  3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Hi Chris and welcome... :thumb:

The only thing I can answer is.... don't matter what you turn up in to a rally or meet... every one is made welcome, irrelevant of what you drive or sleep in.. we have caravans and members have been known to go under canvas... just come and enjoy.. :thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  4. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome Chris to the club, does not matter what vehicle you have, all are welcome on here, so get your self your van and start the journey in life, The next big meet we have is the Lincoln motorhome show from the 19th to the 23rd Nov, a great place to start meeting some of the other members, You can pay on the gate and park up in the general parking area then mossy over to see us all. Hope to see you soon Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

5. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

What a sense of humour you have certainly novel
    Come on ladies the replies should be interesting
    Welcome to fun

• Like Like x 1
  6. Freespirit1

Thanks Mo - your comments are most encouraging, Chris.

• Like Like x 1
  7. scholesman

scholesman Funster

I'm sure you can find something as a ' stop gap' until your situation changes, but one things for sure you will be made most welcome by the 'Funsters' wherever you go. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

On a more serious note Chris welcome ,and a said an old van will suffice.I get fed up of mrs Vlad at such close quarters so I hate to think how it would feel with a stranger.

Vlad.

• Like Like x 1
  9. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Welcome, Chris. As a solo traveller I don't know whether anyone will invite you to share their van until they know you as a friend. There are many friendships on MHF of both sexes, we all meet up together with the rest of the funsters and once you are known it is possible someone would be prepared to share a meet with you ... possibly sleeping in the awning once the weather improves next year.

In the meantime, why not come along in your said van with a mattress and camping stove. You would be made really welcome. Joy :thumb:

10. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi Chris, Welcome to Motorhome Fun , I have to agree best get something you can afford sorted out, come to some meets and see what happens, a big ask to travel in a small van with a lady or gentleman until you get to know them, though as you say no harm in asking :Smile::flyingwelcome:

11. Freespirit1

Thanks Joy -yes I do understand making friends first is a must - I still got to get the van first too eh! I've got a tent -lol. but getting a bit cold for that soon.

12. Freespirit1

Thanks Carol - maybe I will have to try a few meets over in Portugal & Spain with the tent in the car boot! no van yet - lol. Chris.

13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

My van is barely a step up from a matress in the back. It is a tatty old thing as well but I have been made more than welcome on rallies.

Get the van and take it from there :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. campa cola

campa cola Funster

People are very polite here.....What I can tell you is that motorhoming is a very intimate experience and probably not the kind of thing to undertake with a complete stranger....of the opposite sex .....unless you want to end up in this type of van.:Rofl1::Eeek:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. maz

maz Funster

How on earth did I manage to miss this post the first time around?! Still can't decide whether it's a wind-up ......... or, even more scarily, a serious post. :Eeek:

Why not just hire a motorhome for a few days if you want to 'evaluate the lifestyle'? :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 6
  16. pinkie

pinkie Funster

Guys,

For all the dissenters, I have met freespirit tonight for drinks in essaouira, maroc, and can vouch that his post might be a big ask, but he's a lovely guy and full of fun.

Even without a van yet, he has flown out to tour maroc and meet up with some fellow funsters, brilliant!

• Like Like x 9
  17. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Travel

Hi

Not so funny as you might think....

My friend undertook a long motorhome tour around Europe and he advertised on sites in the USA for a companion. A lady arrived and they travelled for a long time. I met her a couple of times too.

I will further add that on my own three month euro tour, the lad I travelled with was an aquaintance whom I had met just a couple of times before at social occasions. We are firm friends now.

Russell

PS how old are you etc

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

I had only known my traveling partner for a few short weeks when we decided to jack in our jobs and take my old Type 2 VW all the way from UK to Nairobi via the Sahara and rain forests of Central Africa which took 6 months and 13,000 miles to complete.

That was over 25 years ago now, and the lady in question is now my gorgeous wife. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge and hope for the best.......

Tinca

• Like Like x 8
  19. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Are you looking for a companion or a method of motorhoming? It isn't clear. An old panelvan and around £1000 of fitout will get you a motorhome with all the necessary services.

Who you are is vastly more important than what you own - unless you're a teenager of course.

• Like Like x 3
  20. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Chris, did you finally get a van? The reason I ask is that I have just booked for some more shows and it really does annoy me that as a solo I have to pay the same as a family with two children .... sharing really can seem like a good idea.

I wouldn't think you would find a female to share with: but another male of the same age and interests could possibly work, especially if they have an awning bedroom. I have been away a few times over the years with a female friend in my van it worked really well.. there is nothing wrong with sharing with a female for you even, but unfortunately there would be those who would make assumptions regardless of the situation. I will be interested to see how you go on.

Another option is that the shows start to give us solos a discount.... now wouldn't that be nice.:thumb:

• Like Like x 7