Sole male traveller – sharing expenses and exploring options open to me? Any offers? (1 Viewer)

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Having now made the decision to retire gracefully and take to the road with you Motorhomefun members I’ve joined this site and am exploring the options that I might have.
The problem is however – I don’t have a Motorhome and don’t have the capital to buy that quality motorhome at this time until my building plot sells and there are no signs of that these days!
I am considering the quick and easy option of buying a cheap van and throwing a mattress in the back with the usual odds and ends to make things more comfortable. However judging by the content and quality of the members here I don’t think I would be welcome alongside your magnificent motorhomes and in any case quality and comfort is very much more my style too – lol.
Another option has crossed my mind – and it is to you members I look to see if there is indeed this option open to me?
Find another Sole Motorhome owner who might consider taking me along with them until I can afford my own vehicle – this way I will be able to evaluate the lifestyle without that large capital outlay and start down the road of making friends sooner rather than later and even finding that ideal partner with very similar interests and lifestyle – what better place to find her!
The advantages to my host would be shared costs and the usual chores etc. and hopefully welcome my company on their travels?
Admittedly this option is a “Big ask” as to whether it would be possible or not but if I don’t ask I won’t find out – and maybe there are members out there that might like to explore the possibility too. I don’t see myself sharing with another guy and so it’s an even bigger ask of a solo lady member? however there might well be a couple out there that might be interested too?
Well at least my newbie first posting might be somewhat new and novel from the usual ones?
Many thanks for your time and consideration, Chris.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi Chris and welcome... :thumb:

The only thing I can answer is.... don't matter what you turn up in to a rally or meet... every one is made welcome, irrelevant of what you drive or sleep in.. we have caravans and members have been known to go under canvas... just come and enjoy.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi and welcome Chris to the club, does not matter what vehicle you have, all are welcome on here, so get your self your van and start the journey in life, The next big meet we have is the Lincoln motorhome show from the 19th to the 23rd Nov, a great place to start meeting some of the other members, You can pay on the gate and park up in the general parking area then mossy over to see us all. Hope to see you soon Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks Mo - your comments are most encouraging, Chris.

Aug 30, 2010
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 772f Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
I'm sure you can find something as a ' stop gap' until your situation changes, but one things for sure you will be made most welcome by the 'Funsters' wherever you go. :thumb:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
On a more serious note Chris welcome ,and a said an old van will suffice.I get fed up of mrs Vlad at such close quarters so I hate to think how it would feel with a stranger.

Vlad.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome, Chris. As a solo traveller I don't know whether anyone will invite you to share their van until they know you as a friend. There are many friendships on MHF of both sexes, we all meet up together with the rest of the funsters and once you are known it is possible someone would be prepared to share a meet with you ... possibly sleeping in the awning once the weather improves next year.

In the meantime, why not come along in your said van with a mattress and camping stove. You would be made really welcome. Joy :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Chris, Welcome to Motorhome Fun , I have to agree best get something you can afford sorted out, come to some meets and see what happens, a big ask to travel in a small van with a lady or gentleman until you get to know them, though as you say no harm in asking :Smile::flyingwelcome:

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Welcome, Chris. As a solo traveller I don't know whether anyone will invite you to share their van until they know you as a friend. There are many friendships on MHF of both sexes, we all meet up together with the rest of the funsters and once you are known it is possible someone would be prepared to share a meet with you ... possibly sleeping in the awning once the weather improves next year.

In the meantime, why not come along in your said van with a mattress and camping stove. You would be made really welcome. Joy :thumb:

Thanks Joy -yes I do understand making friends first is a must - I still got to get the van first too eh! I've got a tent -lol. but getting a bit cold for that soon.

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Chris, Welcome to Motorhome Fun , I have to agree best get something you can afford sorted out, come to some meets and see what happens, a big ask to travel in a small van with a lady or gentleman until you get to know them, though as you say no harm in asking :Smile::flyingwelcome:

Thanks Carol - maybe I will have to try a few meets over in Portugal & Spain with the tent in the car boot! no van yet - lol. Chris.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My van is barely a step up from a matress in the back. It is a tatty old thing as well but I have been made more than welcome on rallies.

Get the van and take it from there :thumb:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
People are very polite here.....What I can tell you is that motorhoming is a very intimate experience and probably not the kind of thing to undertake with a complete stranger....of the opposite sex .....unless you want to end up in this type of van.:ROFLMAO::Eeek:

Broken Link Removed

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Find another Sole Motorhome owner who might consider taking me along with them until I can afford my own vehicle – this way I will be able to evaluate the lifestyle without that large capital outlay and start down the road of making friends sooner rather than later and even finding that ideal partner with very similar interests and lifestyle – what better place to find her!
The advantages to my host would be shared costs and the usual chores etc. and hopefully welcome my company on their travels?
Admittedly this option is a “Big ask” as to whether it would be possible or not but if I don’t ask I won’t find out – and maybe there are members out there that might like to explore the possibility too. I don’t see myself sharing with another guy and so it’s an even bigger ask of a solo lady member? however there might well be a couple out there that might be interested too?

How on earth did I manage to miss this post the first time around?! Still can't decide whether it's a wind-up ......... or, even more scarily, a serious post. :Eeek:

Why not just hire a motorhome for a few days if you want to 'evaluate the lifestyle'? :RollEyes:

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Guys,

For all the dissenters, I have met freespirit tonight for drinks in essaouira, maroc, and can vouch that his post might be a big ask, but he's a lovely guy and full of fun.

Even without a van yet, he has flown out to tour maroc and meet up with some fellow funsters, brilliant!

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Travel

Hi

Not so funny as you might think....

My friend undertook a long motorhome tour around Europe and he advertised on sites in the USA for a companion. A lady arrived and they travelled for a long time. I met her a couple of times too.

I will further add that on my own three month euro tour, the lad I travelled with was an aquaintance whom I had met just a couple of times before at social occasions. We are firm friends now.

Russell

PS how old are you etc

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
I had only known my traveling partner for a few short weeks when we decided to jack in our jobs and take my old Type 2 VW all the way from UK to Nairobi via the Sahara and rain forests of Central Africa which took 6 months and 13,000 miles to complete.

That was over 25 years ago now, and the lady in question is now my gorgeous wife. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge and hope for the best.......

Tinca

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Are you looking for a companion or a method of motorhoming? It isn't clear. An old panelvan and around £1000 of fitout will get you a motorhome with all the necessary services.

Who you are is vastly more important than what you own - unless you're a teenager of course.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Chris, did you finally get a van? The reason I ask is that I have just booked for some more shows and it really does annoy me that as a solo I have to pay the same as a family with two children .... sharing really can seem like a good idea.

I wouldn't think you would find a female to share with: but another male of the same age and interests could possibly work, especially if they have an awning bedroom. I have been away a few times over the years with a female friend in my van it worked really well.. there is nothing wrong with sharing with a female for you even, but unfortunately there would be those who would make assumptions regardless of the situation. I will be interested to see how you go on.

Another option is that the shows start to give us solos a discount.... now wouldn't that be nice.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't think there would be much in it for the show organisers to give a discount for solo motorhomers.
Their MH takes up a pitch the same as a couple with children, and a solo motorhomer is likely to spend less at the show than a family.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I don't think there would be much in it for the show organisers to give a discount for solo motorhomers.
Their MH takes up a pitch the same as a couple with children, and a solo motorhomer is likely to spend less at the show than a family.

Ah, but I'm poor and only have one income to fund my motorhome ...:winky::winky:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Yep. Cos we use less drinking/tank water, don't fill the Elsan up for them every day, etc etc.... :oops:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
it’s an even bigger ask of a solo lady member? however there might well be a couple out there that might be interested too?
Mines the blonde.....Yours is the one with the hat on. (y)

pughed2

Free Member
Nov 22, 2014
bristol
Funster No
MH
trigano tribute
Exp
2 years
hello chris......this is steve bristol.......travel plans are france, the rhine, swiss, riviera, pyrenees and return from feb 22 2015..for up to 5 months....a repeat of last years fabulous holiday, van is trigano tribute.....I might take a travel companion who is prepared to share fuel costs ........needs to meet bristol or south coast to set off.........anyone welcome to e mail me pughed2@yahoo.co.uk

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Admittedly this option is a “Big ask” as to whether it would be possible or not but if I don’t ask I won’t find out – and maybe there are members out there that might like to explore the possibility too. I don’t see myself sharing with another guy and so it’s an even bigger ask of a solo lady member?

You might have a more positive response if you replace the blank avatar image with a photo of your wallet?

Good luck with your quest all the same - I admire your nerve. If you want to see the reality of the Motorhome life, watch a few episodes of 'Das Boot' ("I need more power from der batteries Johann, schnell! schnell!")

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Steve Bristol, AS MagicSB says, you might be better to give a few more bits of info on yourself... it is asking people to take a risk on going with a stranger and this is such a strange world these days... What age are you? What are you hoping to get out of the holiday and your companion? Will they be able to do their own thing when they get there? It is very unlikely, I think, that anyone will just join you like that. Why not join the solo section and get to know us all there and come to some of the meets and mix with us solos ... and make friends (many of).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back