Solar verses batteries

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by scotty1, Mar 14, 2015.

1. scotty1

scotty1 Funster

went to our local motorhome dealerto ask how much to have a solar panel fitted to our warwick duo ended up coming out having ordered 2x110 amp batts fitted instead.they have had to order low profile batts to fit under seats ( passenger one swivels) .Their advice because ileave it on hookup when in storage at home.when we are away we only do two or three nights wild then find site with hook up to recharge.est £450 inc parts and labour ?

2. Xabia

Xabia Funster

:)I have 2 x 110 amp batteries and since fitting a 100 watt solar panel in 2013 have never been on hook up. The panel keeps the batteries fully charged, even during the winter.

• Like Like x 3
  3. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster Life Member

We have 2 x 90 amp batteries and 260 watts of solar , in the last year (265 sleeps in the van ) plus been away since Dec , we only used hook up about for 7 days last september cos it was included free at a THS in Newquay ,

your van alternater will top up your leisure batteries if you run your engine for 5 mins a day , (a lot less time and noise than a generator ),

solar is the way to go ...

4. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We've solar and 2 trojan batteries in our Mizzi.
    When Ralphs finished our "Pug" were going Victron blue solar and Victron AGM leisure Batteries.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We've got 2x110ah batteries and 200W of solar and can go indefinitely without hookup. We've been away through the winter with no problems at all.

6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Good choice always increase the battery bank first, then when you add solar you should have enough capacity for coping with dull rainy days.

We have 2 x 95 a/h AGM batteries & 2 x 100 w solar panels never been on a EHU.

7. scotty1

scotty1 Funster

Fitter told us that if we fit 100 watt solar that we might pump in 3 or 4 amps oof charge( i think thats what he said). I am a total numpty when it comes to electric. So i am taking his advice.also i totaly respect you guys on here thatare always ready to help.

8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

£450 for 2 batteries???? :eek:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jimbohorlicks

Jimbohorlicks Funster

10. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

£250 to fit 2 batteries doesnt sound bad to me

• Like Like x 1
  11. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I'm in the wrong job...

• Like Like x 3
  12. kglblue

kglblue Funster

We have a Swift Escape 622, the van only has 12v lighting, LED Lighting which uses hardly any battery power. We have a 100w solar panel on the roof which charges the leisure and the vehicle battery. We've stopped using electric hook ups, we don't need them. When we tour Europe, usually for 6 weeks, we stay on Aires or municipal campsites, without electric hook up, it's very cheap about 5 or 6 Euros a night.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kglblue

kglblue Funster

I should add re the above, when we first started motor homing, we toured the UK, staying on caravan club or camping and caravan club sites, we were members of both. Nowadays we are members of neither, it was expensive to pay the membership fees, then to use their sites it was about £25 a night. Touring France, Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany using an ACSI card we pay 13 Euros a night sometimes less. I don't know why is so expensive in the UK, we have stayed on French municipal sites for 5 Euros a night with hook ups. The sites aren't luxurious, no swimming pools or bars etc. but basic is ok the facilities are clean and you get a warm welcome, and in my experience you get free wifi that you can actually use. I've met Brits on these sites who think the caravan club and the camping & caravan club have priced themselves out of the game, a view I now share. And the wifi you have to pay for on UK sites never works.

• Like Like x 4
  14. scotty1

scotty1 Funster

Should i still have panel fitted??

15. scotty1

scotty1 Funster

The 2 low profile 100 amp hr were £250 then there was cable and fittings rest was labour2-3hrs!!!

16. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I would say try and get the largest you can, or 2 smaller ones. It will free you up to wildcard for longer.
    Sometimes it's more about where you can camp in some beautiful places.
    It did seem a tad expensive for batteries, but then they are quite large.

17. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

I personally would! When we bought our first van that was the first thing we asked for but as you've said in your first post that you do a few nights wilding, have you worried about how much power you had left? What about now that you've got the new batteries! Maybe you should see how you get on with them and you've always got the option to fit a solar panel at a later date or if you decide that your going to stay off the grid as much as possible ;)

18. Terry

Terry Funster

Just for info -you can buy a solar panel kit (100w) for around £150 ish -fitting time for a basic job around an hour inc coffee break :DNever recommended fitting solar as a first choice but since you now have the extra battery @150 quid they are now dirt cheap
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  19. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Depends how you intend to use your motorhome. Two decent batteries will give you 3 or 4 days between charges in the summer, i.e. without any blown air or pumped water heating on, as long as you use LED lighting and a reasonably efficient 12V TV. If that is how you want to use your motorhome then you do not need anything more.

However if you want to spend longer periods wild camping or using Aires then you are going to need either solar or a generator. For us the solar wins hands down. We have 2 x 110Ahr batteries and 2 x 100W solar panels and we don't need to use a hook up at all, except in the winter in the UK. Mind you I fitted them all myself, and the lot probably didn't cost a lot more than what you are paying for the two batteries. It was very easy with all of the help available on this forum.

BTW the idea in the post above that your engine alternator will be able to charge up your batteries in "5 minutes" is incorrect. 5 hours more like, unless you have some pretty expensive B2B kit fitted, and even then it will be a lot more than 5 minutes.

• Like Like x 2
  20. scotty1

scotty1 Funster

I am going to france about 8 hrs down but will do it in a couple of stops dont know if there will be hup ,iknow that where we are staying there is no electric we will be there for 3 nightsthen we will slowly make our way back on a different route prob on hup the 1st night.also hoping that the 3-4 hrs driving will help to charge in between??