Solar - Sorted! And I never moved from the armchair! (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
SOLAR-SORTED! And I never moved from the armchair!

Some swear by solar; others say get a genny, others link-up half a ton of batteries, whilst some say don't bother! So whilst I was at Detling, I took the opportunity to suck the brains of Eddievanbitz on the subject.

Although I'd never met Ed' before, he spent time chatting about various power and solar options - costs, fitting, merits and de-merits. I came away a little more enlightened. For a start, I learned that a 'Gland' has nothing to do with a sore throat and that MPPT bears no relationship to an angry woman!

So, I decide to go solar. Not because I've suddenly turned eco-warrior, but because it suited my needs. (Gonna spend a bit of time off hook-up on next Hol). Next decision? Who will fit it and how much do I want to pay. I learned in life that the price is what you pay, the value is what you get! Quality is remembered a long time after price is forgotten. As my van' is only 6 months old, the last thing I wanted was an economy job. I've heard horror stories of cheap Chinese panels glued directly to the roof, 'thin'and lossy wiring, controllers that aren't up to the task and installers that are here today - gone tomorrow.

Apart from the above and the company reputation, other factors swung me Vanbitz's way. (I have no connection with them BTW).

Firstly a really generous Funster discount, plus a new mobile service called 'Vanbitz Lite'. Even if I stayed on the campsite offered by Vanbitz, Essex to Somerset is a schlep when busy doing other things, so the mobile service was well worth it (in my case, 30p/mile and return journey from Brighton).

So; their technician turns up in a van you could eat your dinner off, I was told to put my feet up and a few hours later..... all done! A quality panel, a controller that harvests more from the sun in dull conditions, neat cabling and little lights blinking away to announce that all was well. Also included with the deal came a small battery master unit that in addition to the leisure battery, keeps the vehicle batt' topped- up too. James (the mobile technician) even hoovered the MH after him!

As the yanks would say, "Great job!"

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Wingman

Thank you for your kind comments, and I am pleased that your happy with our mobile service

I will ensure that James reads your post, I know that he is a member, but we keep him too busy to spend much time on the internet ::bigsmile:

It was also great to meet you at the Detling show, it's nice at some of the smaller shows to have chance to meet people properly

Eddie

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Dare I ask the approx cost of fitting a 100w solar system?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Would also be interested in the price to supply & fit a 100W solar system.
In Essex so a bit too far to got to Somerset

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
I had a Solar panel ect fitted to my MH by Vanbitz about 2 weeks ago . Have just spent 8 days with fun at the Dorset Fun Rally with no EHU . Am over the moon with the system both batteries have stayed in the high 12v and never dropped below 12.6. Also the lads who fitted the system have been very neat and tidy they are a credit to you Eddie. Many thanks :thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I had a Solar panel ect fitted to my MH by Vanbitz about 2 weeks ago . Have just spent 8 days with fun at the Dorset Fun Rally with no EHU . Am over the moon with the system both batteries have stayed in the high 12v and never dropped below 12.6. Also the lads who fitted the system have been very neat and tidy they are a credit to you Eddie. Many thanks :thumb:

I am really glad that you've had chance to try the system in "anger" so as to speak, as it has literally started to tip down with rain now, thunder and lightening forecast and it looks like it's in for a few days:cry:

Thank you for your kind comments :Blush:

To keep with in the spirit of the forum rules regarding traders, I'll happy discuss price and spec on PM's should anyone be interested :Smile:

Eddie

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
To keep with in the spirit of the forum rules regarding traders, I'll happy discuss price and spec on PM's should anyone be interested :Smile:

Eddie
Cheers. If you could provide some basic figures, that would be great. I have no idea of prices but am very interested.

please send via PM :Smile:

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Gizmouk. I have sent you a PM with the details.

Yorick, got your reply to my PM - thanks.

Reg's
James

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Would also be interested in the price to supply & fit a 100W solar system.
In Essex so a bit too far to got to Somerset

Do what I did and make it part of a trip away. I travelled down to Eddies from Durham stayed a few days on his excellent site (Cornish Farm) excellent workmanship and service

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hi I'm aiso interested in solar having had a growler alarm fitted by Eddie so I no the quality of his workmanship .

Aug 19, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Concord
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All and Eddie

I am in Herts with little time at present to go to "Home Base" and am interested in a 1 panel 100w installation ... Eddie can we maybe do a group deal ? Cheers Rob

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm off to see Eddie next week for several bits and pieces and I like what I'm reading on this thread :thumb:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Dare I ask the approx cost of fitting a 100w solar system?

I was curious too, sot got quote from Vanbitz as I'd like a solar system too.

Prices follows

1 qty 100W solar panel c/w MPPT regulator, Battery Master and including installation @ £494.10
Dometic CombiPower Inverter/Charger (2000W inverter & 100A charger) @ £1,349.10
Installation of inverter/charger (capped 2 hours) @ £120.00
Parts and consumables for above upto £135.00
Sterling 50A Battery to Battery Charger @ £305.91
Installation of battery to battery charger (4 hours) @ £240.00
Parts and consumables for above up to £135.00
Total £2,779.11 (including 10% Funster discount)

Hope this helps

Regards
Robert

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
like a few other Funsters here, I'm also looking at going solar on the Hymer, and having already had a peek at Eddie's Vanbitz site, the main thing stopping me booking in was the time element;
I know I could stop on the attached site overnight, but don't have much holiday left so a day off during week 's not am option,.....................then I noticed he's got a mobile service in this area..................will be making the call very soon. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back