Solar regulator load connection (1 Viewer)

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi all,

I recently had a chat with a fine gentleman of this parish who rasied the question of connecting the load connection on his solar regulator (or charge controller if you like) to his second battery (engine battery).

The converstation included claims of "You can't do that because the load connection is unregulated" and "It'll be fine, 'cos the voltage will drop when it sees the battery as the high voltage at the panel is an open circuit rating."

The idea was to use this connection to basically impersonate a dual battery charging regulator/controller.

I'm interested to see what your thoughts are on this?

Bryan

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My take on that subject is
Most of the regulaters ive used are clearly marked as suitable for low power lights etc from tha load terminals
There are as you know duel battery controlers out there, Why??
You have some panels and a standard controler,and you know what im going to say next :RollEyes:
Let us know if they survive:winky:
Geo

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Not a chance I'm gonna try it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My personal opinion is the same as yours, Geo.

If they could be used as dual chargers (albeit simple ones) then they'd be marketed as such.

Just curious to see what other funsters think and indeed, see if anyone has actually done it.

Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as posted in another thread Bryan, ideal for connecting a lamp to aid viewing if your panel is in a dark locker/corner and doesnt get much natural light.

thats all i'd use it for.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
But would it not do to just trickle charge an engine battery that was normaly fully charged anyway.
Its only a dump to release any excess charge that the solar panels produce.....Isnt it??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back