Solar regulator load connection

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by Bryan, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

Hi all,

I recently had a chat with a fine gentleman of this parish who rasied the question of connecting the load connection on his solar regulator (or charge controller if you like) to his second battery (engine battery).

The converstation included claims of "You can't do that because the load connection is unregulated" and "It'll be fine, 'cos the voltage will drop when it sees the battery as the high voltage at the panel is an open circuit rating."

The idea was to use this connection to basically impersonate a dual battery charging regulator/controller.

I'm interested to see what your thoughts are on this?

Bryan

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

My take on that subject is
    Most of the regulaters ive used are clearly marked as suitable for low power lights etc from tha load terminals
    There are as you know duel battery controlers out there, Why??
    You have some panels and a standard controler,and you know what im going to say next :RollEyes:
    Let us know if they survive:Wink:
    Geo

3. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

Not a chance I'm gonna try it :Rofl1::Rofl1:

My personal opinion is the same as yours, Geo.

If they could be used as dual chargers (albeit simple ones) then they'd be marketed as such.

Just curious to see what other funsters think and indeed, see if anyone has actually done it.

Bryan

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as posted in another thread Bryan, ideal for connecting a lamp to aid viewing if your panel is in a dark locker/corner and doesnt get much natural light.

thats all i'd use it for.

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

But would it not do to just trickle charge an engine battery that was normaly fully charged anyway.
    Its only a dump to release any excess charge that the solar panels produce.....Isnt it??