solar reg u/s

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by brightsparkretired, Jul 19, 2014.

1. brightsparkretired

brightsparkretired

I need a replacement reg for a 80w panel. Originally it was free standing & I have fixed it on the roof installing the same controller, which might explain why its failed. As usual u have a vast selection of replacements & prices to choose from. Advice on a replacement would be a big help & another query concerning the mains charging unit which has 2 unused wires hanging out of it marked "solar" are they to do with the charge controller?
    Lifes never simple
    Tel

2. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

What sort of mains charging unit?

When installing a solar controller always connect it to the vehicle before connecting the panel. Most don't much like the other option.

• Like Like x 1
  3. brightsparkretired

brightsparkretired

Hi T Did make sure that battery was connected & the very last thing I did was to connect the S panel on the roof having made sure the polarity was correct. There must be a short in the cont. because the panel volts go from 23 to 0 when connected. I will check the charger details tomorrow & PM u.
    Tel

4. brightsparkretired

brightsparkretired

Battery charger details Nordel Electronics model num.? N54 548 sorry I am unable to add anything more. Under a lot of pressure & need to have this sorted for the weekend.
    Thanks
    Tel
    Still haven't found out how to PM!

5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Tel

I'm not going to be much help I'm afraid - I can't find any info on your charger at all. I did, however, find a link to a company that might have the information:

http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/chargers.htm

As far as solar controllers go there are two common types. Most are PWM and are pretty cheap (and normally very reliable). Better are the MPPT types. They're more expensive but charge at a higher rate than PWM under cloudy bright conditions. The one I bought last year was the Tracer from Bimble Solar.

Hope this helps.

Where are you in Cumbria?

• Like Like x 1
  6. brightsparkretired

brightsparkretired

Hi T thanks for your reply. Typical Mon BB keeps crashing:devil: were just outside Longtown. Made a note of the sites & hopefully will get sorted. I spoke to a tech guy at Sargents --don,t use Nordel any more, Italian company, he said try & get something with an internal loss of about 5% but its finding 1 that provides that info, will soon find out!
    Tel

7. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

• Like Like x 1
  8. brightsparkretired

brightsparkretired

On it now
    Thanks