Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Hi all
I recently bought a new (to us) mh. This is our second one so I know a little bit about them, but not a great deal. The MH is a Rimor Sailer 645TC. 2004 flavour. I want to put solar panels on the roof and this would be my preferred set up.
I have several questions, some of which may have been asked before but I notice some of the previous answers are a little dated and technology/opinions change, so here goes!!
  • I want to connect the 2 leisure bats and the cab bat to the panels, I know you can get 2 battery MPPTs, can you get 3 way or can I connect the 2 leisure batteries together.
  • It`s important to connect all bats to the panels as this time of year we might not go out for 3 or 4 weeks, and I want to keep all bats topped up
  • Would it be best to put the panels across the roof or sideways, I think I have room for both options
  • I havent got room for 2 bats in the existing external cupboard, I want to put 1 in a cupboard next to it, but I read somewhere that it is illegal to have bats inside, is this true?
  • I have a garage, the 2nd bat could go in there but would be a distance from the other and I believe they should be as close as poss, is this doable
  • I am thinking of 2 Biard 100 watt, but not sure about the controller, any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated
i am looking to do everything myself so would welcome any and all tips/advice, I am a competent diyer so should be capable. I thank you in advance for reading my ramblings and look forward to any answers
Gary

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
  • I want to connect the 2 leisure bats and the cab bat to the panels, I know you can get 2 battery MPPTs, can you get 3 way or can I connect the 2 leisure batteries together.
Connect the two leisure batteries together in parallel.

• It`s important to connect all bats to the panels as this time of year we might not go out for 3 or 4 weeks, and I want to keep all bats topped up.
Agreed.
  • Would it be best to put the panels across the roof or sideways, I think I have room for both options.
I don't think it matters.
  • I havent got room for 2 bats in the existing external cupboard, I want to put 1 in a cupboard next to it, but I read somewhere that it is illegal to have bats inside, is this true?
It's not illegal, but how you do in depends on the battery type. Gel batteries can be put anywhere. You may get differing opinions on AGM batteries, but they are generally ok inside, but if fitted with vent tubes, these must be led to the outside. Sealed or maintenance-free 'wet' batteries will all have vent tubes which must be led outside. Wet cell batteries that you can top up by opening the tops should ideally be in a separate compartment of their own with ventilation to the outside at both top & bottom.
  • I have a garage, the 2nd bat could go in there but would be a distance from the other and I believe they should be as close as poss, is this doable'
There are better as close as possible. Putting one in the cupboard should be ok if it is of the sealed type. Could you move both to the garage?
  • I am thinking of 2 Biard 100 watt, but not sure about the controller, any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.
Victron & Votronic both make good controllers. @Techno identified a good Chinese import. You can use a dual output controller to keep the engine battery topped up, or use something like a Battery Master (available from Jim's shop or from VanBitz) to transfer charge from the leisure batteries to the engine battery.

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Thanks for those answers, very helpful. Batteries in the garage sounds like a good idea, as the alloted cupboard it's tiny and very fiddly just to place a battery in. Problem is the power pack ins in there as well as the charger. (more questions). Would I be able to just connect the power unit and charger with much longer cables to the batteries (in the garage) or would they need to be moved close to the batteries. If this was the case it would involve a lot of rewiring? Batteries in the garage would make it simpler connecting to the solar panels too, great idea!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ive been thinking of fitting a Votronic MPPT regulator, they will charge hab and cab batteries and will do all types of battery i.e AGM etc.
Does anyone else have experience of this regulator?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi.. your initial questions have been covered... only other thing I would say was to fit the most solar you can while you're on with it.. may be more than you need in the sunshine but it all helps in winter if you use your van throughout year or it's stored outdoors..
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back