Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
I know this has probs been asked a million times so Ill ask again lol

when my bus is parked up the hab batts (360ah) and engine batts (240ah)
are totally isolated (no current draw not even a clock) so they will only have natural discharge whats the smallest wattage solar panel that will keep them topped up (one for for hab and one for engine batts). like I say they are disconnected so zero current draw

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Just had an 80 watt panel fitted at Dave Newell's.
Dual charge, it tops up Hab batt then tops up engine batt.
Use to have a prob with engine batt letting me down if it was stood for a couple of weeks, prob now solved.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
With absolutely NO draw and only natural wastage a trickle charge of less than one amp would be sufficient.. ( that somehow feel uncomfortable in my head given the amount of battery storage but it is actually true )

So, a 30 - 40w panel would suffice ( given most panels are not that efficient and you must consider dark as well as sunlight periods )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
I have just had a 100w solar panel fitted with a battery master by Vanbitz (funster discount too). the beauty of this is you do not have to rely on EHU so whether you are out and about or parked up at home the leisure battery will be charged and when that is full it automatically switches over to top up vehicle battery

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I have just had a 100w solar panel fitted with a battery master by Vanbitz (funster discount too). the beauty of this is you do not have to rely on EHU so whether you are out and about or parked up at home the leisure battery will be charged and when that is full it automatically switches over to top up vehicle battery

Same here :thumb: My engine battery kept letting me down (was a faulty one but didnt know at the time) the new one is always maxed out now, its a horrible feeling when you have no confidence in a van thinking will it/wont it start when i turn the key :RollEyes: since the battery masters been fitted i would put money on it that its going to start just fine from now on:Cool:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
:thumb::thumb:for battery master here too:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
so sounds like I will get away with a fairly low wattage solar panels.

To be fair the batts are pretty much brand new and are really heathly the bus hadnt been started for 14weeks turned the isolator on and it spun the 6.7L td lump into life. eventually I would like to invest in some good sized solar panels for extended wild camping but at the mo its a couple of smalllish (read cheap) ones to protect the investment of my 5 batts, as the bus is a long term project

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back