Solar question for you techies (1 Viewer)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Well i have fitted my x2 panels along with the solar charger and all is working fine, i have wired it up as you would expect, + & - leads from the panels to the + & - terminals to the solar charger, then + & - from leisure battery to the + & - on the solar charger, now as you know most if not all solar chargers have another connection for "Load" again + & - connections, i have no reason to connect anything to these ,However (please try to keep up) on the system that was fitted by Spinney Motorhomes on our previous van it had all the same connections ( Solar Battery Load ) the Solar + & - went to the appropriate connections on the controller but the leisure battery connections were different, the positive battery was connected to the positive of the Load and the negative battery connection was connected to the negative battery, even though it worked fine and we never had any problems with it i only noticed it was connected this way when we were about to sell it, i actually took a couple of pictures of it as i found it to be a strange connection.... why would it be connected up like this ? or is this normal ?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You're way is correct. The load terminals are used if the panel & battery are used to power a simple load - for example a shed light or a road sign. There's no point in using them for a MH because the electrical system is more complex with more than one source of charging current for the leisure battery and a distribution system that couldn't easily be fed entirely from the load terminals. You can use them if they're in a convenient location when installing a socket or light that needs 12v power but whatever you connect won't show as a discharge on the MH panel.

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Found the pic of the connections
20151214_194120_LLS.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
That regulator was fitted to our van when collected. The load terminals on ours was used to feed the cab battery, with the others used for the leisure batteries. Neg is common for both outputs I guess so that's why it appears to work. Would have thought that's bad practice though. I've since replaced ours with the schaudt mppt regulator.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back