Solar power questions (some are silly!) (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I will have to get the stop watch out and time her hair dryer use indoors first as have no idea what length of time women use a hair dryer for. I know it warms the bedroom up after its been used. If I set a limit of 10 minutes maximum I should be safe then . Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I will have to get the stop watch out and time her hair dryer use indoors first as have no idea what length of time women use a hair dryer for. I know it warms the bedroom up after its been used. If I set a limit of 10 minutes maximum I should be safe then . Cheers
A stopwatch is not what you need. You need to be able to watch the voltage drop across your batteries....... if it drops below 12.4volts your are killing them...... do this to many times and they will be stuffed.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Then you need to put 30 ah back in, if you are not driving that day you need some decent solar.

Martin

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Martin even a good run out on MH would mean at least 3/4 hours as the alternator will regulate the amps down to 3/4/5 amps per hour when it gets a voltage back from system. This is why I recommend people understand how their charging system works. Fitting a B2B changes this as the B2B pumps 40 amps and only drops this (amps) when the battery returns reading ( no alternator will do this ) so can drive for 30/40 minutes not 3/4 or more hours, but I know that you know this(y)

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
I have 3 x 110 batteries, 200watts of solar, 1800w pure sine wave ( you will need this for coffee maker ) and a B2B charger. I can go for weeks/months without EHU, but do use EHU when it's in the price of a site.
I draw on average per day 25amps and 95% of my time is off EHU. In Spain on a good day I can have fully charged batteries by 14:00hrs using a good MPPT solar controller. In France and UK I cannot replace the amps taken out via solar because of the lack of full sun. This is were the B2B comes into use. I can have fully charged batteries after 30/40 minutes of engine running. Now the coffee maker will draw loads of amps from your batteries and the hair dryer will be the same. I can use a coffee maker, but chose to use a simple cafetiere, which works for us.
You are going to the best man to advise and I'm sure Eddie will sort out your requirements.

Nice to see this stated, always makes me smile when folks say "with my 100w solar panel my batteries are back to full @ 8:30am"

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have 330Ah of battery power and a 2kw inverter. Initially it was 1600w but that blew up due to damp from ice forming inside it, back in winter 2010 on a trip to Italy, not overload.

We had a Dolce Gusto machine and it struggled on the 1600w inverter. To make coffee when we stopped we had to keep the engine running on a fast tick-over otherwise the output was only warm. It only took about a minute to heat up but the machine wasn't happy on the inverter.

We had a George Forman Grill that also wasn't happy and a Slow cooker that we could only use while we were driving. These have been replaced by a Double Skillet and a Pressure Cooker.

We ditched what we could that ran on mains and use gas or 12v. Now we only have Joan's Hair drier and a food chopper/blender that needs mains voltage. Joan loves coffee and bought a percolator that sits on a gas ring.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How much time could a Nicky Clarke 2000 watt hair dryer run on a 2000 watt pure sine inverter with 2x110 amp batteries please. Cheers
I think you are asking the wrong question. I suggest a trial to find out how long the hair drier is going to be used at a time, five or ten minutes? There are many variables of course, including amount of hair and the ambient temperature but from this it should be possible to estimate how much the batteries are going to be depleted and then whether your solar installation is big enough to replenish the batteries before the next time it is needed. Taking into account other loads as well of course.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back