Solar power and other electrical questions (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have a 80w solar panel which I am assuming is only charging up the leisure battery, is there a way of having this charge up the main van battery when the leisure one is full?

Secondly, we only have the 1 leisure battery and there is no space to add another under the bonnet. Have anyone else modified an Autosleeper to add a second LB?

TIA

ShiftZZ

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
you can fit a battery master which allows the leisure battery to charge the cab battery , cak tanks do them for about ÂŁ25 i think
you could also change the solar regulator to one that allows the charging of 2 batteries
one here
Link Removed

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
can't help with battery space but the relay below should work for you.
To charge ANY extra battery even the engine battery.
Link Removed

I am about to fit one myself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Vehicle battery charging

The vehicle battery on ours is hooked up to our leisure batteries via a 16 amp breaker that allows the solar panels to charge all batteries and breaks the vehicle battery from the leisure circuit when the vehicle is started. Works for me and is relatively cheap and easy to do but there are other ways. You do have to remember to switch the breaker back when parked.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Depends where your batteries are, mine are side by side. The breaker box is big enough to take 3 breakers but only one is currently fitted. The box is about 6x4 inches (see picture) and is fitted to the forward facing panel of the double dinnette between the driver and the driver's door above the battery box which is in the floor.

An automatic system would be nicer and could be hidden away but this works for me.

Forgot to add, this is in the Hymer not an Autosleeper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• DSCN0794.jpg
    DSCN0794.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 20

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
My van came fitted with a heavy cable direct from the battery via a 70 amp fuse and a heavy duty socket on the end to a position under the drivers seat,

I fitted a plug on heavy cable to the domestic battery and manually connect it when needed. It is used to charge the engine battery from the solar/domestic batteries and and revers, from the alternator to the domestic when motoring.

As to battery position there may be room under the skirt next to the chassis, my Fiat chassis is ideal for this. I have 6 X 50amp batteries in this position.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back