Solar power and other electrical questions

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ShiftZZ, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

We have a 80w solar panel which I am assuming is only charging up the leisure battery, is there a way of having this charge up the main van battery when the leisure one is full?

Secondly, we only have the 1 leisure battery and there is no space to add another under the bonnet. Have anyone else modified an Autosleeper to add a second LB?

TIA

ShiftZZ

2. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

Vehicle battery charging

The vehicle battery on ours is hooked up to our leisure batteries via a 16 amp breaker that allows the solar panels to charge all batteries and breaks the vehicle battery from the leisure circuit when the vehicle is started. Works for me and is relatively cheap and easy to do but there are other ways. You do have to remember to switch the breaker back when parked.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Sounds easy enough, but I suspect fitting it will be a bugger...

ShiftZZ

6. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

Depends where your batteries are, mine are side by side. The breaker box is big enough to take 3 breakers but only one is currently fitted. The box is about 6x4 inches (see picture) and is fitted to the forward facing panel of the double dinnette between the driver and the driver's door above the battery box which is in the floor.

An automatic system would be nicer and could be hidden away but this works for me.

Forgot to add, this is in the Hymer not an Autosleeper.

Attached Files:

7. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

My van came fitted with a heavy cable direct from the battery via a 70 amp fuse and a heavy duty socket on the end to a position under the drivers seat,

I fitted a plug on heavy cable to the domestic battery and manually connect it when needed. It is used to charge the engine battery from the solar/domestic batteries and and revers, from the alternator to the domestic when motoring.

As to battery position there may be room under the skirt next to the chassis, my Fiat chassis is ideal for this. I have 6 X 50amp batteries in this position.

Doug...