Solar Panles and Sargent Power Supply Unit (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Advice needed.
I got one Solar panel 70-80W connected to the Sargent PSU. Acourding to the Sargent information sheets, max it can handle 120w.
Solar panel fitter offering to add one 80W panel and connect it to the cable from exsisting panel to the Sargent. Although 160W, is explanation is that each of the 80w panels realistic only provide 53.5W so total of 107W (under 120 limit) and both together will be less then 10A (I hope I am using the right A, V, W lol).
What you Solar experts think about this explanation and shall I go with it? (Don't want to risk any damage to the Sargent PSU)
Many Thanks

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
In theory yes... The panels never produce the full amount, it would be very rare if they did...
You would need to be somewhere with lots of sunshine / good weather to be near the max.
Mine used to have just an 80w panel and into Sargent EC500 which states 120w max.. BUT I have chosen to stay on the cautious side, removed the 80w and fitted a single 120w. They are cheap enough on ebay / online and i sold the 80w easily.
So maybe that's an option...

http://www.friendlygreengiant.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25&product_id=34

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Although most of the time in the U.K. The output will be similar to the fitters figures, there will be times that the panels can give more and especially in Southern Europe will produce more than the Sargent panel can handle without risking it failing.
A new Sargent panel will be a lot more than either a 120w panel or the cost to bypass the Sargent and use a charge controller.
I had exactly the same dilemma when adding a second 100w panel so I wired it directly (the solar controller) to the habitation batteries and fitted a battery to battery trickle charger from Cak Tanks to look after the cab battery. Total cost of b to b and wiring plugs was £30 and an hours work as I moved the Sargent unit to access the battery cables for both the hab and cab. Your fitter should only need about an hours extra labour to do the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back