Solar panels (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I knew I would get my £10 worth of value from this forum !!!
We have preordered as extras for our new mh, an extra leisure battery, which we are told will be a 110 amp hour to match the existing. And a 85amp solar panel.

I guess this makes sense, we will only be wild camping occasionally, and never in the winter !!!!

Thanks for your replies in advance

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum. No answers as I cannot see a question the setup you have ordered could do you depending on your power usage and length of time off grid. It really is a question of how long is a piece of string.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hotelman
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, thanks, so in theory the current set up for a beginner, doesn't horrify you???, and we can always upgrade if need be to a bigger solar panel......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have 4 x 110 amp/hr batteries and 4 x 80W panels I never have a hookup summer or winter so who am I to advise, we do watch a lot of TV.
Biggest saving is to convert all lights to LED's If you need more add another panel rather than a larger one presuming the regulator you have fitted will cope.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi, thanks, so in theory the current set up for a beginner, doesn't horrify you???, and we can always upgrade if need be to a bigger solar panel......

From one enthusiastic amateur to another, it sounds about the same spec as we had fitted on our MH this year and it works well, usage similar to your predictions, mostly on hook up anyway, but have had three nights off power several times without issue

But it will depend on what you use, whether TV and lights are LED will make a massive difference to consumption

Just one detail, I think the solar panel will be 85 watts not amps

Have fun

David

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

Sounds a good start, doubling battery capacity immediately doubles your available power / time off grid,, and the solar panel will help keep the batteries topped up, particularly in the summer months.

I have a similar arrangement to aht you will haveand have done 4 or 5 days in winter and well over a week in summer (both in UK) and we use a lot of juice, tv's gadgets etc, but make sure you switch all your lighting to LED.
This will reap big dividends, our lights used to consume more than the TV....

Have Fun.....

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time

We've only got an 85 amp L/Battery, it's seen us thro 2 Fun Rallies no probs and several W/Enders with the CC&C Motor Caravan Section:Smile:

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I think that was the set up I had in my last van. I was at Stratford for about ten nights and because it was sunny never had a problem at all.. I did, however, always plan any tv or computer usage so that the battery never ran down... I had changed all the lights to LED too but was still very careful on switching lights off, etc... No different to what I am at home really as I conserve energy there due to cost of elec/gas.:Smile:

After having the solar panel fitted, I never once ran out of electricity. I guess you have also sorted that excess power goes to the engine battery?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hotelman
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
THANKYOU every one.....all your comments have reassured us that we are ok for the time being, and we then have the potential to ' upgrade' as and when.....Just wish that we were having to make make the big decisions in life..... Do we drive to Spain, or do we take the Ferry...... Maybe next year....:Cool:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Sounds a good start, doubling battery capacity immediately doubles your available power / time off grid.

But also doubles the time to charge.

If the ELECTRICITY IN is not greater than ELECTRICITY OUT then sooner or later your batteries go flat.

Got to see the one big picture for it to work.

Upvote 0

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
For some considerable time we have only ever had one 90 amp battery and one 85 watt solar panel fitted and never once has the battery dropped to low to cause any problems. Our latest one has a single 85 amp battery coupled to a new 90 watt solar panel with a Sunworks charge controller fitted by Leisure Tech of Clitheroe. All the lights are Led, so hopefully we should be ok.

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
But also doubles the time to charge.

If the ELECTRICITY IN is not greater than ELECTRICITY OUT then sooner or later your batteries go flat.

Got to see the one big picture for it to work.

Very True.....

However, if there is no ELECTRICITY IN, then at least you have twice as long before the batteries will go FLAT....:roflmto:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hotelman
Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
THANKYOU, the great thing about this forum is that you get answers in " English" not fancy sales jargon.......::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Enough power

We did four weeks in France this year and used Aires all the time only hooked up once because it was there our 100w panel did us proud batteries always topped up even on a dull day

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back