Solar panels

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Hotelman, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Hotelman

Hotelman Funster

I knew I would get my £10 worth of value from this forum !!!
    We have preordered as extras for our new mh, an extra leisure battery, which we are told will be a 110 amp hour to match the existing. And a 85amp solar panel.

I guess this makes sense, we will only be wild camping occasionally, and never in the winter !!!!

Thanks for your replies in advance

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the forum. No answers as I cannot see a question the setup you have ordered could do you depending on your power usage and length of time off grid. It really is a question of how long is a piece of string.

3. Hotelman

Hotelman Funster

Hi, thanks, so in theory the current set up for a beginner, doesn't horrify you???, and we can always upgrade if need be to a bigger solar panel......

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I have 4 x 110 amp/hr batteries and 4 x 80W panels I never have a hookup summer or winter so who am I to advise, we do watch a lot of TV.
    Biggest saving is to convert all lights to LED's If you need more add another panel rather than a larger one presuming the regulator you have fitted will cope.

5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

From one enthusiastic amateur to another, it sounds about the same spec as we had fitted on our MH this year and it works well, usage similar to your predictions, mostly on hook up anyway, but have had three nights off power several times without issue

But it will depend on what you use, whether TV and lights are LED will make a massive difference to consumption

Just one detail, I think the solar panel will be 85 watts not amps

Have fun

David

6. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Sounds a good start, doubling battery capacity immediately doubles your available power / time off grid,, and the solar panel will help keep the batteries topped up, particularly in the summer months.

I have a similar arrangement to aht you will haveand have done 4 or 5 days in winter and well over a week in summer (both in UK) and we use a lot of juice, tv's gadgets etc, but make sure you switch all your lighting to LED.
    This will reap big dividends, our lights used to consume more than the TV....

Have Fun.....

7. rangitira

rangitira Funster

We've only got an 85 amp L/Battery, it's seen us thro 2 Fun Rallies no probs and several W/Enders with the CC&C Motor Caravan Section:Smile:

8. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I think that was the set up I had in my last van. I was at Stratford for about ten nights and because it was sunny never had a problem at all.. I did, however, always plan any tv or computer usage so that the battery never ran down... I had changed all the lights to LED too but was still very careful on switching lights off, etc... No different to what I am at home really as I conserve energy there due to cost of elec/gas.:Smile:

After having the solar panel fitted, I never once ran out of electricity. I guess you have also sorted that excess power goes to the engine battery?

9. Hotelman

Hotelman Funster

THANKYOU every one.....all your comments have reassured us that we are ok for the time being, and we then have the potential to ' upgrade' as and when.....Just wish that we were having to make make the big decisions in life..... Do we drive to Spain, or do we take the Ferry...... Maybe next year....:Cool:

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

But also doubles the time to charge.

If the ELECTRICITY IN is not greater than ELECTRICITY OUT then sooner or later your batteries go flat.

Got to see the one big picture for it to work.

11. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

For some considerable time we have only ever had one 90 amp battery and one 85 watt solar panel fitted and never once has the battery dropped to low to cause any problems. Our latest one has a single 85 amp battery coupled to a new 90 watt solar panel with a Sunworks charge controller fitted by Leisure Tech of Clitheroe. All the lights are Led, so hopefully we should be ok.

12. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Very True.....

However, if there is no ELECTRICITY IN, then at least you have twice as long before the batteries will go FLAT....:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hotelman

Hotelman Funster

THANKYOU, the great thing about this forum is that you get answers in " English" not fancy sales jargon.......:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes of course, you can charge up and go and have a full week instead of half.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Speve

Speve Funster

Enough power

We did four weeks in France this year and used Aires all the time only hooked up once because it was there our 100w panel did us proud batteries always topped up even on a dull day