Solar Panels

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jhorsf, Feb 21, 2012.

1. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Well I just got a newsletter from another forum telling me how cheap his solar panels are in a link so I had a look 80watt panel £300 :Eeek: good luck with selling them:Rofl1:

heres a clue zxxx.jpg

do Solar Panels work on the D side?

• Like Like x 1
  2. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

They won't work on the dark side...

The clue is in.......................................dark

• Like Like x 1
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Good god, I just looked.

80W Ultimate kit £638 discounted to £580.

He'll sell you an 80W panel for only £409.

This man is so good to the MHers of this world he should be knighted.

If he sells one it's a sign just how bad our education system is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JJ

JJ Funster

Slightly, but only slightly, off topic...

What should a decent Funster do if he is there at a show and some slick salesman is spinning a load of deceitful spiel to an obvious newby couple about what the solar panels will do and how cheap his are etc etc...?

Should you mind your own business... dispute his "facts" there and then for the benefit of onlookers or wait until the conversation is over and take the couple to one side and tell them your thoughts?

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I would like to think I would discreetly inform them of the true facts, though in the past I have discussed it in a loudish voice with the salesman. I think it's allowable for a salesman to show his products in a good light, however if he's telling enormous porkies then I think thats a bit out of order.:Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

On second thoughts perhaps I should have sold the 3 I recently bought. If I got his prices I could have bought 12. Anyone do a roof extension? :Laughing:

7. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Depends on how big he is :boxing:

• Like Like x 1
  8. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

someone was selling 80 watt solar panel's on ebay for £23.49:whistle:

• Like Like x 4
  9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ah but at least my £100 panels actually existed, and are now on my van.

• Like Like x 1
  10. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

You are always well within your rights to protect others, whether its a solar panel that won't even charge your watch battery up, or a "plug in" engine destroyer,......would YOU want to be sold one?. You never know, one day......slippery con men may start packing their crap away as soon as they see someone wearing a MHF badge:Rofl1:

11. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

stand at the side and keep saying....

Stand at the side and keep saying Bullsh*t... Bullsh*t ...Bullsh*t .. he will soon get the message. I did that once at Newbury when a certain dealer was telling a couple that the RV he was trying to sell could do this silly mpg... he soon had a red face.. the couple then asked me why I had said that... simple I own one and have for the better part of 25 years and no way will it do 25 mile to the gallon.. on any type of fuel..even hot air.. which the salesman was full of...

bob:Sad:

• Like Like x 2
  12. slobadoberbob

they all want a bargain

they all want a bargain Chris.. all they see is £ note signs and forget it is a rip off.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

Butt in, apologising as you do, and ask him leading questions that he will find hard to spin :Wink:

(If it is so much more efficient to have it tracking the sun, why do 99% of solar installations on motorhomes have them installed flat to the roof?)

That sort of thing

• Like Like x 1
  14. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

I always politely butt in, Id tell em to go to the funsters site spend a tenner and speak to experts not salesmen. People who have tried and tested like u JJ.
    My pet hate is very young salesmen and whilst I show compassion as they are feeling their feet in life with a job, it ticks me off when they advise you, believe they are right and yet have no experience at all.
    Vodaphone operate a very effective blocking system. None of their managers in a shop have the autonomy to re-emburse or exchange a phone after 7 days and it tickles me when they make out it is their decision not to replace or refund. The decision was made by their superiors.

With Vodaphone you have to ring 191 to make a complaint and you have the old press button 1 2 or 3 selection. None of the selections refer to complaints at all. Eventually if you answer the Im leaving vodaphone you get put through to a nice chappy in Eygpt. Whatever happened to customer service..selling the right thing so the customers return......

There are some brilliant retailers, usually small businesses who are concerned about repeat business...but the big ones leave alot to be desired.

Right..moan over....on with the fun....

15. slobadoberbob

as Harry says

As Harry says.... it is best to do your own research and not rely on people that make a wage from the sale (at any cost) ... I do not understand some people when they attend shows spending big bucks and do not take the time to know what they are looking for, or do not compare the spec v price v the people selling it... they will trust anything some sales men will say... just because he says so does not make it so.

I want to know more about an item so any sales man I deal with cannot back foot me.

Had this at the Apple store a couple weeks ago when I wanted to buy a 2 tb back up drive... he started off on a subject that he wished he had not.. soon made an excuse to get away from me... Plus by checking out the Apple site before I went I knew the store price was wrong.. that saved me £21.00 ... research and research.

Bob

16. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Or why not just tell people that solar panels are a waste of money full stop!

Excellent in the summer when you use no power whatsoever.

Marginally useful in the Autumn and the Spring

Useless in the Winter in the UK and most of Northern Europe

When I say this I do mean in real terms not this few watts nonsense!

Most people should just buy an additional battery and arrive with enough power for the duration of their stay, not hope to be able to make a little more once there!

I have the Alden Phenix self tracking system on my van that is on average FIVE times more efficient than a conventional flat panel as it is perpendicular to the sun five times longer. I guarantee that if I spent next weekend wild camping that I wouldn't be able to replicate the power benefit I will get from additional batteries!

Just a thought! As told to many over the last twenty odd years, when they are trying to buy a panel!

Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Eddie, Just a quick question. How does an 80 watt tracker compare to 3 flat mounted 80 watt panels over the normal camper season of March-Oct?

JJ and me are of a view that not only is it better value but you get more power overall. Can you confirm/refute this due to an actual side by side test?

I realise I am asking a salesman :Doh::Rofl1::Wink: but we can trust you :thumb:

18. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

From the blurb provided by the makers of Alden Phoenix it will give up to four times as much as a flat panel in the early/late day but only twice as much in the middle of the day (as the flat panel is more effective as the sun is higher.

Note that you could buy 25 flat 80w panels for the price of one Alden Phoenix, so pound for pound the flat panels produce more power (if you've got room for 4-5 panels which would cost a fraction of the tracker cost you would be ahead on power produced.

That said Eddie has a point that in winter when you need the power most they are not really up to it, however if you only need EHU/genny for 3months of the year it must be better than needing it all year.

19. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I know about the blurb. There have been debates on this subject going back years. Would be nice to have some real answers from someone who has actually run tests....

I have 3 x 80Watt flat panels which cost me £550 inc mppt regulator and all materials to fit them. I have been told on a number of occasions that a tracker would give me more power over a day.....

20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you may mock Chris.......

mine came this morning :thumb: