Solar panels (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have been trying to find out what size panel I have on my van. I have nothing in any of the documentation.
Can anyone give me an educated guess what size this might be. I'm guessing it might be a 80W
Or is there anyway I can check it out.
Solar panel 005.JPG

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
HI... Check the dimensions ..then have a look at the panels available on line and their ratings... they all seem to be much of a muchness, with back mount panels been slightly smaller than the standard, but they appear to be a rare beast...
Andy..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Measure it as output is relative to size, looking at the cells on it I would say it is a monocrystalline panel. 80w approx 900 x 450mm, 100w 1200 x 450 only approx sizes as they vary from different manufacturers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
No help to you but I recently changed my solar panel for 2x 100watt ones and when I removed the old one was surprised it was only 65watts but the same physical size as the 100 watt ones.
Maybe you could see the label using a mirror.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No help to you but I recently changed my solar panel for 2x 100watt ones and when I removed the old one was surprised it was only 65watts but the same physical size as the 100 watt ones.
It would have been a monocrystalline panel they are less efficient are larger than monocrystalline panels you will also notice it has a different cell structure.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It would have been a monocrystalline panel they are less efficient are larger than monocrystalline panels you will also notice it has a different cell structure.
That will be polycrystalline. I'll bet it's that predictive text lol..
Lead to believe there's not much in the monocrystalline versus polycrystalline debate any more because of better manufacturing techniques. .
Andy

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
easier to slide a phone under and video the underside

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Its a 100w panel.......first image on ebay

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User

Just as a matter of interest why did you change yours to 2 X 100W panels? What battery set up do you run with.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
For my needs so far a 110amp battery seems to work fine for me. Only once was I caught out and that was on a recent trip to Cologne where it was down to -7C. The batteries were well down in the morning and couldn't run the heating system fan. However once the sun came up I had full power back again. I have since changed the battery to a GEL type. I also had to change both the battery charger and solar controller as neither of them had GEL settings.
I have been looking at the attached chart which seems to indicate that there isn't a lot of advantages between a 110AMP and 200AMP system:
http://www.selectsolar.co.uk/cat/167/ready-reckoner-for-solar-kits

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just as a matter of interest why did you change yours to 2 X 100W panels? What battery set up do you run with.

We have 2x 110amp batteries and we didn't know how old or what wattage the original panel was, we thought we would up grade to 2 panel and some bloke on here,"Techno":) had a pair for sale.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Both new and old panels look the same type so maybe more modern panels are more efficient.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Errrrrr Why? what will you do when you know? ;)

Size by the way wont help. We keep 100w panels for example in different physical sizes to allow us to install on almost any motorhome

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Errrrrr Why? what will you do when you know? ;)

Size by the way wont help. We keep 100w panels for example in different physical sizes to allow us to install on almost any motorhome

If you are considering adding panels it would be good to know what you had...it might help you decide what to add..
Its a While since I looked but without splitting hairs size was a resoable guide as to wattage... I was looking for as small 100w panel as I could find, and sizes were all fairly standard.. other than a back mount... and even that didn't vary greatly.. a cm or so smaller than the standard..
Andy

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you are considering adding panels it would be good to know what you had...it might help you decide what to add..
Its a While since I looked but without splitting hairs size was a resoable guide as to wattage... I was looking for as small 100w panel as I could find, and sizes were all fairly standard.. other than a back mount... and even that didn't vary greatly.. a cm or so smaller than the standard..
Andy
LOL I wasn't having a pop, but if the OP thinks he needs more solar power whether the panel is 80w 100w or 120w is immaterial

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
LOL I wasn't having a pop, but if the OP thinks he needs more solar power whether the panel is 80w 100w or 120w is immaterial

In my case I am trying to work out if the Solar panel I have is man enough to do the job or would I benefit by having more solar panel. I did at one stage think about having two 110amp batteries but looking at the chart provided by Select Solar Panels there doesn't seem to be much advantage.http://www.selectsolar.co.uk/cat/167/ready-reckoner-for-solar-kits

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
In my case I am trying to work out if the Solar panel I have is man enough to do the job or would I benefit by having more solar panel. I did at one stage think about having two 110amp batteries but looking at the chart provided by Select Solar Panels there doesn't seem to be much advantage.http://www.selectsolar.co.uk/cat/167/ready-reckoner-for-solar-kits
Try it. If you keep running out of power think about another panel. If your fine. save your money

Reactions: f6c

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Haha... yes you were:LOL::LOL:,but I like your down to earth approach to things... from reading many of your posts(y)

Again me been a fussy bugger would think it imporant to know the existing panels characteristics, voltage current etc. So that I could match it as near as possible with a new ,if I needed to.... now back to work again:D
Andy...

Nov 23, 2015
Ramsey, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Montana
Exp
I'm a newbie
Flexible panel fixings.jpeg
Want to fit 100watt panel to my 1998 Auto Trail Cheyenne 634. Had intended to fit a flexible Lensun with plastic fitting brackets for bonding to the roof as seen on eBay, but after seeing a YouTube video where the guy demonstrating a Lensun panel said the aluminium backing got very warm! My roof is thin ABS with I think ply underneath? Anyone had experience of fitting a flexible panel so such a roof construction. The ABS has a few ripples so is not bonded to the under ply skin.
It was the light weight of flexible panels that made me think of going down this route as being 82 years young and not quite so agile these days! Have emailed Auto Trail to ask if the roof is strong enough for me to stand on it? The MH has a rear ladder fitted.
Looking at patches on the roof it seems that a solar panel had been fitted previously then removed before I bought the vehicle. In this instance SS screws were left in the roof with a blob of sealant on top. Having recently had a leak in the roof my dealer removed the screws and bonded ABS square patches over all the holes and any area looking dodgy, has done a nice tidy job and did more than I expected. Removed roof rack which I did not use or want and patched over all fixing places.
Any advise would be appreciated on suggested panel type and fixing to my type of roof?
Thanks in advance.
Keith

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I've fitted a panel to an auto trail apache. .
As you said the roof plastic skin didn't appear to be bonded to the underlay. .. didn't use anything other than pu adhesive on the brackets and did wonder at the time if it would have been better putting a fixing through the brackets...
As far as I know it's still there and OK. .. @irnbru
Andy

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have one 100W flexible panel on the roof, and total of 200AH batteries. There is a debate about the flex panels overheating, but as I cannot see me sitting in Spanish Summer Sunlight!:D2. I do not think it will be an Issue. second 100W panel due this week as the Single panel helps but in UK winter has limited input.
I initially went for the flex panel because of weight considerations (Very close to the 3.5t limit). but after upgrading and getting my C1 back, I have payload to spare. (BUT I am not telling SWMBO)(y)

Nov 23, 2015
Ramsey, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Montana
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Andy and Pete, useful information.
I think I've made up my mind, I'll go for the 100 watt flexible and the fixing kit I posted above but I'll also screw the fixing plates to the roof which will overcome the ripple in the ABS sheeting and any possible flexing if the wind got under the solar panel.

I need to power a 200 watt inverter and run it through the night. My wife has a breathing problem and is on a ventilator which takes between 0.4 and1 amp @ 240 volts. I'm hoping with a 110 amp battery this will be enough to keep the inverter powered up for at least 8 hours and the solar panel will recharge the battery during the day time!
Don't know much about inverters and their consumption. The technician at the hospital said the battery should last 2 to 3 days on one charge, don't know about that seems a bit optimistic. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Keith

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I need to power a 200 watt inverter and run it through the night. My wife has a breathing problem and is on a ventilator which takes between 0.4 and1 amp @ 240 volts. I'm hoping with a 110 amp battery this will be enough to keep the inverter powered up for at least 8 hours and the solar panel will recharge the battery during the day time!
Don't know much about inverters and their consumption. The technician at the hospital said the battery should last 2 to 3 days on one charge, don't know about that seems a bit optimistic. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Keith

It sounds as though your requirements are rather critical in terms of whether the battery will do the job and, as I understand it, inverters use a lot more power than is apparent from the job that they are intended to do. You could do worse than email Allan at A and N Caravan. He doesn't sell batteries so his advice is unbiased and, if he's not too busy, you can expect a full response aandncaravanservices@gmail.com

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

We have three 110aH batteries and 300w of solar power..
Bottom line is, no matter what anyone says, you can NEVER have enough solar power !!!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think I've made up my mind, I'll go for the 100 watt flexible and the fixing kit I posted above but I'll also screw the fixing plates to the roof which will overcome the ripple in the ABS sheeting and any possible flexing if the wind got under the solar panel.

Thanks.
Keith
1 amp @ 240V is equal to 20amps at 12V. Given that your 110Ahr battery should really not be taken below say 50Ahr regularly that means you will have 3 hours or so before you start getting problems. Of course that assumes 1 amp all the time. If it only of 0.4 amps then it may just last for 8 hours. And all of this assumes that you will not be using any elctricity for anything else like lights, TV etc.

But, even worse, 1 amp at 240V = 240Watts, so your inverter will probably not work if the current is at 1amp. On top of that I suspect that your 100W panel will struggle to refill the battery within a day at this time of year in the UK.

Personally I would not want to use such safety critical equipment without at least one more battery, a bigger inverter and more solar panels.

Nov 23, 2015
Ramsey, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Montana
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all you comments. With regard to the power of the inverter, it is specified by the manufacturers of the Nippy 3+ Ventilator, the unit supplied to my wife by the hospital. The actual spec of the inverter (from the manufacturers web site Custom Power Design)
http://custompsudesign.com/frameset_handymains.htm
Voltage range 11v - 15v.
Current , no load 0.4 amps.
Per 10 watts loading 1 amp.
Output voltage 230v +\- 10%RMS, 1.1A max, Quasi sign wave.
Power - nominal 200 watts continuous (resistive)
Power, short term 250 watts for 5 minutes

I was going one better and getting a pure sine wave inverter!

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Thanks.
Keith

IMV. You will struggle to keep the Battery charged "off grid". A second battery would increase the option, but still not recharge fully, with Just Solar. One suggestion if you wish to "Wild Camp" (off grid) would be one of the new generation of "Quiet" small Generators for daytime use to recharge the Batteries?.

Nov 23, 2015
Ramsey, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Montana
Exp
I'm a newbie
IMV. You will struggle to keep the Battery charged "off grid". A second battery would increase the option, but still not recharge fully, with Just Solar. One suggestion if you wish to "Wild Camp" (off grid) would be one of the new generation of "Quiet" small Generators for daytime use to recharge the Batteries?.
Had'nt thought about a generator, at least it would help on those no so sunny days. I'll have a look at this, not got any experience of small generators. Will be visiting the Peterborough show later this month may be some generators there.
Wanting to camp there started the investigation of solar and inverters as there were no hookups. We will make it day visits, we only live 12 miles from the Show Ground.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back