solar panels newbies

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jph1, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jph1

jph1 Read Only Funster

does anybody have any advice about solar panels used for trickle charging a 12 volt battery ,not to expensave . we will be taking possesion of a brand new eldis atoquest in march and are thinking about a panel

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Don't think about a panel until you have used the new motorhome a few times and got an idea of your electricity usage and how often you are not on a mains hook-up.

Panels are VERY expensive, and they are next to useless in winter, others will tell you they work all year round and they do, but not effectively, especially in this country. You may find that an additional cheap wet cell battery will provide all the power you need. Try it first, you might just save yourself many hundreds of beer and fuel tokens. :thumb:

Oh, and welcome to the fun:BigGrin:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Welcome to the fun site,,:thumb:

As Jim said and=

If like me you are thinking of one of these small ones with crocodile clips, about 2ft X 1ft, dont bother,, I bought one for my boat and it was next to useless and a waste of money.. :Sad:

4. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Welcome to motorhoming, Jim is right, dont do anything yet, the are many rooms in the house of motorhoming, see which one you like before you buy.

Doug...