Solar Panels - I finally did it. (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Having purchased all the components to go solar on my Burstner 748, a year on I finally got round to doing it. I'd planned it carefully, I knew where the hole needed to be drilled and where the regulator was going.

Fitting two 200W panels is quite a job so last week I booked it in with Elite of Bridgend ::bigsmile:. I know them well as they do a lot of installations for my employer. I know their work is neat and therefore felt confident in their hands.

Three days after delivering the van to them and a few visits in between, the job was done and I must say, as expected it was done with meticulous care and attention to detail.

Thursday the van was rolled out of their unit and the solar panels breathed their first few breaths - all 16amps to the battery from the bright sunlight! :thumb:

All I have to do now is give the van a damn good cleanup.

The regulator fitted under the seat just above the battery compartment.

The remote control unit showing just a trickle today.

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
What length cables runs have you got ? I would expect a greater number of amps from 2x 200w panels with the weather as it has been lately, the cables coming in & out of your charge controller do not look very heavy and this will give you voltage loss the biggest waste of hard earned amps in solar set ups, Google '12v voltage loss table' input your cable run lengths and theoretical max amps your panels can produce to get the gauge of cables that would be best, aim for a max 3% voltage loss.

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I can't remember the gauge of cable used from the panels to the regulator - they were quite thick. The 12v side are similar to batery cables but multi-stranded for flexibility. There is of course less loss on the cables from the panel to the regulator as the voltage is higher.

I was quite pleased to get 16amps on the 12v side and the leisure batteries (2 x 90amp) went from 20% to nearly full in a few hours.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I'd of thought they would have cleaned your roof whilst they were up there before they fitted the panels:winky:

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I'd of thought they would have cleaned your roof whilst they were up there before they fitted the panels:winky:

They did and degreased where the Sikaflex was used and used a abrasive cloth to key the paintwork :Smile:

Yesterday afternoon, last night and this morning we had some thudery rain - big drops that left a layer of dirt over my car and motorhome.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
They did and degreased where the Sikaflex was used and used a abrasive cloth to key the paintwork :Smile:

Yesterday afternoon, last night and this morning we had some thudery rain - big drops that left a layer of dirt over my car and motorhome.

Sorry if that sounded a criticism, but a picture paints a thousand words, it just proves the quality of your camera:thumb:

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Sorry if that sounded a criticism, but a picture paints a thousand words, it just proves the quality of your camera:thumb:

Hhaha, have you been looking at the EXIF info?

While looking at the picture I've been meaning to ask - can the aerial be changed for a more effective hi-gain one?

Jul 15, 2009
Bridgend south wales
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Elite of Bridgend

I live in Bridgend and was wondering who Elit were and where they are based as its always useful to have a business recommended,and what else do they do
Thanks in advance

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back