Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Hello there, I'm after fitting some solar panels to the truck and have seen these on a certain site, Link Removed
just wondering if those on here who know about these things think they are upto the job , reasonable value and if anyone has bought from this seller and resulting experience etc. I have a 24v battery bank consisting of 2 100amp batteries

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The MPPT charger linked does the job but is basic and not as good as a decent MPPT charger. I have one and it certainly puts a bit more power into the batteries than a PWM model would.

I have had dealing with lensun and they are to this day the only company I have given a negative report to on ebay.

80watt tends to be the most cost effect panels £/Watt. Around £70 per panel at the moment.

I would be tempted to up my budget a little if I were you and go for 4 x 80 watt panels (320 Watts total) £280. and if you can manage it get a better MPPT charger. If you want to stay around the same budget get the same MPPT charger but still go with 4 x 80 if you have the roof space.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: They operate under lots of different ebay usernames and they appear to dump them when they get too many bad reviews. That is how it appears to me anyway. I would avoid them I were you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
Cheers for your reply Gromett, always weary of buying off the bay don't think I've got room on the roof for four panels at the moment as I have ten raised escape hatches where the cells used to be, however I will be getting rid of these when we get some dryer weather so might be possible then. didn't want to spend much more than £300 as I will probably only need them for the odd rally or weekend, most of the time I'm on hookup

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
I have been reading this guy's blog
http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/the-rv-battery-charging-puzzle-2/
Seems to talk a lot of sense and as I have been disappointed with the performance of my 2 x 130w panels so far reading throu what he has to say and how my system has been installed I can see why I am getting very poor results. I have now ordered a Morningstar 45 charge controller and I am rewiring the whole system with 0 awg & 4 awg cable with as short runs as possible, this should give me a 1% or <1% voltage drop over the whole charging system and ensure I'm getting the volts I have paid for at the batteries.

OP
OP
FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
thanks for the replies, pappajohn I had just saved that seller with the panels they seem reasonable.
manda3000gt I'll take a look at that before parting with my cash cheers.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been reading this guy's blog
http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/the-rv-battery-charging-puzzle-2/
Seems to talk a lot of sense and as I have been disappointed with the performance of my 2 x 130w panels so far reading throu what he has to say and how my system has been installed I can see why I am getting very poor results. I have now ordered a Morningstar 45 charge controller and I am rewiring the whole system with 0 awg & 4 awg cable with as short runs as possible, this should give me a 1% or <1% voltage drop over the whole charging system and ensure I'm getting the volts I have paid for at the batteries.

The morning star 45 amp MPPT charger is excellent. I had one in my previous van which is how I know the one I have currently is not brilliant. They are expensive but well worth the money in my opinion...

I used 6mm cable from this guy as he was the cheapest at the time. He gives excellent service and his prices are really keen.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Using thick enough wires is the most important thing. It won't matter how good your panels and controller are if you're losing it all in wiring.:thumb:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Using thick enough wires is the most important thing. It won't matter how good your panels and controller are if you're losing it all in wiring.:thumb:

Correct, Have a look at a voltage loss table on DC currents (loads of voltage loss calculators online) you can input cable size length of run etc and see what you are actually getting at your batteries, it does not matter how many volts your charge controller is putting out if you are losing it all to voltage loss at the batteries, they will never be fully charged and constant under charging drastically reducers their life.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The panels in the earlier link from true shopping have 2.5mm cable on them the description is WRONG I just sent one back. I bought from Afresco bay instead, dearer but overall a better quality panel.
Link Removed

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Having bought one I'll be buying a further two
Link Removed

I did however buy the brackets from trueshopping at £18.99

alfrescobay-L.jpg

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have used a 200 watt mppt controller for a long time on my other van and been impressed with its performance. For my current van's installation I've bought the upgraded 300 watt version and paid £80
Link Removed

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Andy, I bought a 100w panel from true shopping just before Christmas. I've just checked the cables and they're marked 4mm. How on earth did yours end up with 2.5mm?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Dunno they insisted the factory fits 4mm so I sent them pictures. Also the cells were not square to the frame. No problem with sending back full refund given. The Afrescobay one is overall a better built panel and it was only £9 more before trushopping just knocked another £10 off.

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
I bought from this company two years ago. Same adverts same products but called HKLensun.

I bought the same set up. Really pleased they as the contacted me to say there was a slight delay due to customs on delivery to their uk premises. Their communications were good from their main office. The panels work really well. Only been on EHU for frost heating over winter and for cooling fridge before leaving home, other than this I've never been on EHU since fitting. Have 2x100amp hr. batteries.
Also fitted the little gizmo from CAK tanks that keeps main vehicle battery charged. I bought these panels because of price and they were the exact size (to the inch)to fit between the roof rails on my Amethyst.
Bought expensive 4mmsqu multi strand cable and fitted fuses from a an Autoelectrics business. I was advised to chose multi strand due to the movement and flxing in a vehicle
Regards Brian.

Hello there, I'm after fitting some solar panels to the truck and have seen these on a certain site, Link Removed
just wondering if those on here who know about these things think they are upto the job , reasonable value and if anyone has bought from this seller and resulting experience etc. I have a 24v battery bank consisting of 2 100amp batteries

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i think the key is to get the cables from the controller as short as possible as thats where most of the loss occurs as after the controller its 13. whatever volts but before it it is much higher around 17 to 20 volts. thats for a 12 volt panel of course.

i have just looked at my display from the solar and it is giving 1.1A in overcast white cloud and that is from a single 80watt flat mounted panel running on a shaudt controller for the electroblock.

and i have 6mm cable from the panel to the controller and will be adding another panel later this year when funds allow.

OP
OP
FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
Well thanks for all the replies people, it seems to get a lot more expensive when wanting to charge a 24v system double the panels etc, and for the amount of panels I can actually fit and the amount of amperage available along with the fact that I mostly use hook up and only really wanted the solar option for the odd rally or two, I think I would probably be better off using a small silent running generator and letting my 25 amp charger work on the batteries for an hour now and then when needed, it would also give us the option of a bit of 240v power whilst running and of course use it within my business.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Well thanks for all the replies people, it seems to get a lot more expensive when wanting to charge a 24v system double the panels etc, and for the amount of panels I can actually fit and the amount of amperage available along with the fact that I mostly use hook up and only really wanted the solar option for the odd rally or two, I think I would probably be better off using a small silent running generator and letting my 25 amp charger work on the batteries for an hour now and then when needed, it would also give us the option of a bit of 240v power whilst running and of course use it within my business.

Oh nooooooooo:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: :winky:

Last edited:
OP
OP
FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
or I could just run the engine :Eeek:, believe me for how often I think I will actually need the genny I don't think I will disturb to many people.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
in all honesty if you need a safety net type arrangement for longer stays off grid the cheapest and sometimes easiest way is more batteries.

incidentally you can use a single 12 volt solar panel and just connect the regulator across + and - on one battery.

i know its not ideal but it works.

a friend has a ERF truck and has a 12volt trickle charger across 1 battery for when its stood through winter and it keeps the batteries full.

OP
OP
FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
well I've got plenty of payload if I need to fit more batteries , I might just try a night or two off the hookup and see how it goes, I suppose we have just been spoilt having alway's had hookup even when we park up at my works, just thinking of the summer and the weekend rallies.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am a heavy battery user. I have 2 x 250AH deep cycle batteries and I can go a week with them. However I don't let them get below 70% if I can help it. I have gone down to 60% on odd occasions but don't like doing that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back