solar panel

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Gunner29, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

I have one x 110 amp leisure bty and wonder what size solar panel I would need to fit as we would like to do some "off site" camping i.e. Aire / Wild camping in France and Spain etc. I had a quote of £600 for one :Eeek:and as am going to the Malvern show (If wiffe alllows it as I haven't gotten my licence back yet) is it best to look at Road Pro or some other company who I dare say could fit on site:thumb:

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Gunner I have an 80- amp panel,

Do your self a favour, dont pay £600

mine cost £110 I fitted it my self, £20 for some fixing kit and job done few quid on cable few quid on sealant job done.

Here's a list of people from this forum that I either know or think still fit panels.

Geo
    CLS
    ASH
    Techno
    Cheyne (upmarkethippy)

Im sure there's even more. it aint hard, :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I would think 80W panel sufficient for you. check out prices on eBay an 80W panel plus connectors regulator etc is under £200 now. and easy to fit. You will pay a premium for supply and fit, seen them from £500 fitted at shows, might be cheaper now. Ask CLS for a quote. you would be better off in the short term getting a second battery or better still a matched pair of as large capacity as you can fit. Eventually the same solar panel and regulator will charge them, depends how much wilding you do and what units you expect to run aftwer all an 85 amp/hour battery only has 43 useable amp/hours and if it is a cloudy/dull/rainy day it won't recharge anyway. If you need help fitting feel free to come up I have tools/facilities here. Please bare in mind I am retired and have no wish to quote for fitting, though I will help/advise.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I fit in between my main line work and I'm fitting two on Wednesday in Driffield but even now in July its touch and go with the weather and customer has been waiting weeks.
    I only do local and don't charge VAT but £600 is very expensive

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We have an 80Ah battery and the 80W panel which Dave Newell fitted for us keeps that topped up nicely.

6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I have an 85W panel for a 110 Amp battery and it's fine. It cost me £300 on eBay about three years ago. Charge controllers are about £15. We paid for ours to be fitted but it wouldn't be beyond anyone who's confident about sealing holes in their roof and who knows how to connect the 12v electrics up.

Bear in mind there are different types of solar panel with different levels of efficiency - monocrystalline is generally considered to be good, and will cost a bit more.

7. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Its not so much the size of your leisure battery but your power consumption that will determine the panel size you need. We currently (pun intended:Wink:) have 80Watt panels at £475 fitted inc VAT (£450 for funsters) and 130Watt at £575 (£550 for funsters). We will be at Malvern and weather permitting I will be fitting some panels. My advice is to go for the highest rated panel you can afford.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Techno

I do 450 including LCD display regulator and travelling to and from the customer so potentially a big saving in time and diesel for them but it's sometimes a long wait for me to be available.
    2x80 fitted same day is 700 mppt regulator and CBE CSB2 are same day upgrades.
    Different shapes to cater for available space.
    These are going on a Hymer B630 on Wednesday
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Techno

BTW I'll be camping at the Northern show so an opportunity for any members to pre order 4mm or 6mm solar cable for delivery there. I got it at an extremely good price so can supply 6mm at £2 per metre and 4mm at £1.40. I can even give you it in red and black.
    This is a genuine offer to be helpful, I think you'll agree by the price?
    If this post is out of order I'll understand if it is removed

Andy

10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Hi Andy. Looks like you are paying too much for your cable. I pay £1.20/mtr for 6mm Tri Rated including free delivery.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251053346659

If you order 50mtr at a time the price drops to £1 a Meter...

Not trying to undercut you on price just thought you might appreciate a cheaper supplier for your jobs.:Wink:

12. Techno

That's good but not UV protected for outdoor use, basically machine wiring.

Real solar PV cable
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012