Solar panel (1 Viewer)

Apr 24, 2014
spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Please can someone give me some advise on fitting another solar panel to the one I already have fitted(100w) I am looking at paying around £250 for the panel and a good twin controller.

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp

Attachments

• hymersolar.jpg
    hymersolar.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 10

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What sort of advice are you after? Have a search on the forum as there are lots of threads about fitting them etc. @Techno has done some good ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Please can someone give me some advise on fitting another solar panel to the one I already have fitted(100w) I am looking at paying around £250 for the panel and a good twin controller.
Sounds a lot.

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Sounds a lot.

It depends on what sort of controller you go for. The basic ones are only £40 to £50 but I probably should have invested in a good controller which costs about £200 but will look after your batteries once programmed a lot better.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would say you can get a good 200W controller for around £70 or £80 perhaps a little less. I like the Victron ones but Techno has his own favourite. You shouldn't need to pay £200 unless you are after something for a very high wattage.

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I would say you can get a good 200W controller for around £70 or £80 perhaps a little less. I like the Victron ones but Techno has his own favourite. You shouldn't need to pay £200 unless you are after something for a very high wattage.
not sure about that. A good controller will let you programme in exactly how your battery should be charged. I don't have any first hand experience of using one so I can't say more but I would be interested in seeing what controller you have in mind for £70-80.... If it fitted the bill I would probably get one. Can you post a link?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
not sure about that. A good controller will let you programme in exactly how your battery should be charged. I don't have any first hand experience of using one so I can't say more but I would be interested in seeing what controller you have in mind for £70-80.... If it fitted the bill I would probably get one. Can you post a link?
This is the one I have and Victron are the only make of controller fitted by VanBitz after trying a number of makes. It is a very clever controller which will keep batteries in the best condition. They are a Dutch company though no doubt the units are made in the Far East but they answer emails promptly if you have any questions - and in English!

This one is up to 200W in a 12v system. Have a search on the forum for more info. https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/mppt7510

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
This is the one I have and Victron are the only make of controller fitted by VanBitz after trying a number of makes. It is a very clever controller which will keep batteries in the best condition. They are a Dutch company though no doubt the units are made in the Far East but they answer emails promptly if you have any questions - and in English!

This one is up to 200W in a 12v system. Have a search on the forum for more info. https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/mppt7510

I agree with you that it's a decent controller but it wouldn't have the capacity for my set up. I wouldn't use it with more than 1 100w panel. For the op with 2 100w panels I would get the larger capacity which is about £180 but that said if the op can't afford the larger one I agree it's better than spending £40 on a cheap and cheerful one.

In total with all my panels plugged in, on a sunny day I'm getting 500w :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back