Solar Panel Supplier for DIY fitting

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by OldAgeTravellers, Oct 22, 2015.

1. OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers Funster Life Member

Hi,
    My existing two panels are about 10 years old and their output is significantly reduced so I need to replace them. I have room to get three 100 watt panels on the roof with one longwise where the right hand one is below and the other two sideways where the left hand one is, I don't need to get out of the Hecki now as I carry a ladder. Unfortunately ther is not room for two 150's as they are too long or two together too wide. I was concerned about getting the old Sikoflexed brackets off but noticed a post by @tonka that said a cheese wire does it ok. So now I need a good supplier. I had a bad experience with Bau-Tech2012 on Ebay when the panels arrived obviously damaged but he said there was nothing wrong with them and refused to refund initially. I saw on another post trueshopping who sell Baird panels at £79.99 each for 100 watt, also Photonic Universe but theirs are much more expensive at £145. The specs are similar but the latter are 150mm shorter so obviously different sort of panels but both say Mono Crystaline. I have the MPPT controller that Andy uses about a year old. If you have personal experience of these or other suppliers please let me know. I really need to get them fitted before Morocco .
    Steve
    PanelsOnRoof.jpg

2. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ref the wire... I had some old multicore steel cable and I took a thread off that..
    It did work a treat and was off in seconds.
    The back of a wood chisel took off the excess..

For panels myself and a few friends have been using..
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Friendly-Green-Store

• Like Like x 1
  4. premiere99

premiere99 Funster

5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

If the panel brackets are aluminium or stainless steel (as opposed to plastic) then heating the metal with a gas torch frees them with little effort. Then remove excess Sikaflex with a sharp wood chisel as suggested.

6. fifthwheel

fifthwheel Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 2
  7. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Yes, excellent and great communication. I have just finished fitting four of these to our RV roof.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-100w-...-TUV-ISO-UK-/252137705917?hash=item3ab49411bd
    I have always been very sceptical about solar in this country, but even Wednesday this week, whilst it was overcast and raining, I was getting 1.8A, which will easily keep the batteries charged up, even with a 0.5A permanent drain. So, after Chrissy, when we head south, I look forward to keeping up with Mangements demands. :sneaky: :whistle: :blusher:

8. maxine and jo

maxine and jo Read Only Funster

Go to bimble you will be surprised at the value :LOL:

9. OldAgeTravellers

Thanks very much Guys, a great selection so just need to work through them all and work out which, I am leaning towards the German company Enjoy Solar as the Euro rate is so good at the moment.
    Steve

10. OldAgeTravellers

Just ordered 3 x 100 watt mono panels along with 6mm cable for connecting to mppt reg from www.solarxxl.com in Germany only £64 each with £12 postage to France. Great communication even though PayPal screwed up and sent wrong address. Just hope they arrive safely and intact. They even asked if they could send Black ones for the same price because they were out of the silver.
    Steve

11. OldAgeTravellers

Just received three very nice panels from Solarxxl in Germany which also advertises as EnjoySolar €88.63 each plus €16.95 for carriage getting the full 22.3 volt open circuit as it says on the back. Just got to get the Sikoflex and make brackets etc. very well packaged and very good communication in English.
    Thoroughly recommend them.
    Steve

20151030_154902_small.jpg

• Like Like x 1