Solar panel shading

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by funflair, Jul 30, 2016.

1. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Parked under some trees and shading some of the panels, as you can see we have four panels and they are all the same size 80 watts, the closest one is on it own controller and the other three matched panels are on a seperate one, usually the single one will do 1/3 of the other three but with the trees shading nearly two full panels the closest one on its own controller in in clear sky is making 4 watts against 5 watts for the other three.

Conclusion is that Yes the trees are affecting the panels In the shade (of course they are) but not really dragging down the other one that is on the same controller.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Parked on in-laws drive but living in the house and doing hospital visits so don't actually need much power, in fact I had to put the inverter on and the 1kw water heater to get it all to kick into action to take the readings this morning.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  2. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Park it nose in and they would probably all be in the sun!

3. funflair

Ha Ha if you saw the hedge at the side you would understand that we would not get out of the door or get the garage door open to get at my tools, and I always need tools when we visit.

And I don't need any more power anyway.

Martin

4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Get on roof of MH and cut away branches......................:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

5. funflair

Good suggestion but I still don't need the power:LOL::LOL: actually I did cut it back a couple of years ago as some of the branches were getting a bit big.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  6. JJ

JJ Funster

I predict a time will come when you will have practically forgotten you even have solar panels.

I feel sure you will have ample electricity flowing into your van.

I used to watch all the dials and figures and smiley faces on my Steca controller... now I just turn the lights on and off when needed, charge up all my stuff when needed and worry about more important things like the ip and coming footy season! ;)

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1