Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
On a return visit to UK earlier this year we had a panel fitted to our MH (by Dave Newell:thumb:) and we are very pleased with the performance. Now that we are back in Spain and our van is parked up behind the house in brilliant, daily sunshine my question is ......

Do I disconnect it, cover it up or just leave it alone ?

Regards Bryan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
connect an inverter to it and run a lead into the house .then use it . i power my house fridge nearly all summer like this . have had to stop it now not enough sun . but you should be ok .
connect to your battery bank not direct to the panel. saves a few shilling .

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I'd leave it alone, the regulator will protect your batteries.

My regulator has the facility to change the battery charge preferences, ie normally 90% of solar panel output goes to leisure batteries & 10% to vehicle battery. Flicking a switch changes charges rates to 50/50 thus keeping all batteries well charged then I leave it to its own whenever its parked up.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
I'd leave it alone, the regulator will protect your batteries.

My regulator has the facility to change the battery charge preferences, ie normally 90% of solar panel output goes to leisure batteries & 10% to vehicle battery. Flicking a switch changes charges rates to 50/50 thus keeping all batteries well charged then I leave it to its own whenever its parked up.

Thanks for the feedback. My panel does not have "switchability".... can I have that retro fitted ?

Regards Bryan

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
on my previous van i fitted a DiY panel with a cheap regulator that was just on all the time.. Worked perfect for over 2 year ( then sold van).. I never had to plug into hook up at home as, like you say, it's charging while its sat on the drive..:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why not use the electric that is being made . i powered a fridge in the house for about 5 months this year .also a full size deep freeze in the height of the summer .
yes the reg will let it shut down but far better to use the power . you paid for the privalage use it .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back