solar panel prefere not fixed

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by scotty1, Jan 30, 2016.

1. scotty1

scotty1 Funster

we have warwick duo van but if we see something we like better we coauld change.so dont want to pay out and have one fixed.is there one out there that is transferable or a freestanding alternative,ideas please you helpfull lot.ta

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

A fixed panel isnt a problem.
    If you want to remove it you could either leave the mounting brackets on the roof and buy new ones for the new van, they arent expensive, or if they are glued on simply cut them off with a length of piano wire as a saw.

A fee standing panel will need good security....chained to the van etc....they do disappear if left unattended.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

A cheese wire off eBay or make your own. Cuts under the mounts and sealants in seconds. :) go fixed if it was me.

4. travelbunyip

travelbunyip Funster

Hi, we do have a folding solar panel and it has worked well. We like to park in the shade and having a non fixed panel means that we can move it around to get the best sunlight while we are still in the shade. We bought it online and made a plug that feeds straight into our leisure battery, it came with stupid clips which attach to the battery. We also have lengthened the cable to give us more room to maneuver. Below is a photo of our panel when we first used it. You can see that all we do is unfold it and plug it into the socket we made on the side of the van. They are not expensive, we ordered ours from Australia and it was delivered to Holland where our motorhome lives. Hopes this helps.
    P1000572.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  5. Whitebirdyman

Whitebirdyman Funster

I too use a free-standing panel. I started with one as in the photo above, the advantage to me was similar that I could park in the shade and still get the panel in the sun. Fair enough it is deployed for less time than a fixed panel, but when it is out it is pointed and angled to the sun. I have mine feeding the batteries through an LR1218 on the Elektroblok.

Aside from having to put it outside and the risk of it being stolen, the other disadvantage I found was that it was quite heavy. I still do have that panel but more recently I have been using one of the semi-flexible panels and 100W is thin, light, easily handled and stores behind the settee cushion. There is no frame as on the suitcase version, but I can usually prop it up to face the sun. The other advantage I have found with this is that I can fit it through the wind-up roof vent on my Hymer, so if the MH is in the sun I can deploy it without the risk of theft. I think it is pretty stable in the wind, but I would take it in if I thought conditions were to be especially windy.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Terry

Terry Funster

• Like Like x 1
  7. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Hi too have just bought a folding panel and would like to know please ..can I plug it into the cigar sockets that are already fitted in the hab area to charge just the leisure battery...Roy

8. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Not if the socket is dead with the ignition OFF unless modified it will be off

Edit I see you said hab area yes they should be live and ok

9. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Thanks techno that's what I thought but felt it best to ask. Roy

10. Ranger

Ranger Funster

We have both fixed and portable 100w panels. The freestanding panel is much more efficient due to the angle and with a long cable you can chase the sun. I plug it into the van via a din plug and socket mounted in the mains input box and then onto the solar controller. The big downside is it is heavy and bulky but does come in a robust carry case.