Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
While waiting for the arrival of my panel I was down the van today fitting the controller into its' home and I thought maybe I'd better check the roof as to where the panel would fit best. Away from objects that may cast a shadow etc.
Well she is a big lump of a panel 1590 x 790. 14 Kg 165W jobbie from Bimble solar.

Well the only place she would go is on top of the Luton, the overcab double bed, cum golf club, fishing tackle, satelite dish locker .

The top of the Luton is kind of on a slope, for streamlining !! but flat, facing forward.

Question - Am I asking too much of Sikaflexing 4 corner and 2 side mounts to hold her down at 50 - 60 MPH. ?

Somebody mentioned somewhere - a wind baffle to direct wind
over the top ? !! :Smile:

Nothing on the tellie tonight so I hope a few of the resident experts notice my plea :Smile:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It would not be my choice of positions, mine is fixed down with a bracket on each corner and they are fixed to the roof with self tappers.

Mike

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Mine are held down by Sikaflex 2 of them ,no need to screw into roof more holes mean more possible ways for water to get In.They have been up there for thousands of miles at times up to and over 80 mph ,:Blush:( sometimes just want to get there)
I however personally wouldn't want to fix to the over cab area as it's fibreglass and flexes a fair bit.Dont be worried about shadows from cowels or aerials as the loss will hardly be noticeable although some anoraks will tell you you'll loosing out on 0.000463 amps per solar cycle !:ROFLMAO:
Stick it where you want and be happy with what you get!:thumb:

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Mine are held down by Sikaflex 2 of them ,no need to screw into roof more holes mean more possible ways for water to get In.They have been up there for thousands of miles at times up to and over 80 mph ,:Blush:( sometimes just want to get there)
I however personally wouldn't want to fix to the over cab area as it's fibreglass and flexes a fair bit.Dont be worried about shadows from cowels or aerials as the loss will hardly be noticeable although some anoraks will tell you you'll loosing out on 0.000463 amps per solar cycle !:ROFLMAO:
Stick it where you want and be happy with what you get!:thumb:

Vlad

Thanks for your thoughts and your reassurance about Sikaflex. However it is the only place because of its' size. My luton is nice and flat although sloping forward and pretty rigid, been up there polishing before now, I know, sad git ! I PM'd "Techno" and he also reassured me about the sticky stuff just recommended closing off the leading edge to keep the wind out from under her(the panel), makes sense ! You get baffles from Seitz but not wide enough and nearly £100 :whatthe:
Gonna get(Buy) some extra 530mm side mounts from ebay.

:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Personally I would never use such a large unit. I could not install it single handed for one
If it devolopes a fault or gets damaged it's a total loss for two
If leaf litter or other debris falls on it the shading effect will decimate output for three
Probably other negatives too :Eeek:
With those plastic feet make sure you use course grit abrasive on them before cleaning ready for adhesive.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Thanks for your thoughts and your reassurance about Sikaflex. However it is the only place because of its' size. My luton is nice and flat although sloping forward and pretty rigid, been up there polishing before now, I know, sad git ! I PM'd "Techno" and he also reassured me about the sticky stuff just recommended closing off the leading edge to keep the wind out from under her(the panel), makes sense ! You get baffles from Seitz but not wide enough and nearly £100 :whatthe:
Gonna get(Buy) some extra 530mm side mounts from ebay.

:thumb::thumb:

Your taking good advice I've never met him but Techno seems to know his stuff!
He recommended a relay which I fitted at a fraction of the price of others,fitted and still going strong:thumb:
Thank god for experience and an open forum::bigsmile:

Vlad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back