Free Member
Nov 13, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
4 years
Can anyone throw any light on whether artificial light activates a solar panel ?

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I once owned a solar powered calculator and it did work when indoors with the lights on.

Don't know about the larger solar panels though.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you mean will they work under a street lamp, it would be far more efficient to tap into the lamp :winky:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
on a clear day, after sundown, mine still produces around an amp or so until it begins to get dusk.

170 watt BP panel and a quality MPPT controller

artificial light wont even register.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
now to be pedantic, theres artificial lighting and theres artificial sunlight. speak to anyone who knows about growing plants indoors o a large scale. a clear point of this is the cannabis factories that get featured on the news. big super bright lights producing the correct frequency are needed. an old 60watt incandescent bulb or standard fluorescent tube will do next to nothing to power a solar panel.

the cost involved and power needed to run a virtual daylight source make it impractical. you would be better off plugging the van into the light socket with a low wattage trickle charger to maintain batteries

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
now to be pedantic, theres artificial lighting and theres artificial sunlight. speak to anyone who knows about growing plants indoors o a large scale. a clear point of this is the cannabis factories that get featured on the news. big super bright lights producing the correct frequency are needed. an old 60watt incandescent bulb or standard fluorescent tube will do next to nothing to power a solar panel.

the cost involved and power needed to run a virtual daylight source make it impractical. you would be better off plugging the van into the light socket with a low wattage trickle charger to maintain batteries

But what about the cannabis? Though:winky:

Eddie

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
During a thunder storm I noticed the lightning makes the meter go potty, albeit very briefly. :Eeek:

OP
OP
D

Dijon

Free Member
Nov 13, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
4 years
Just imagine Frankenstein in a lightning storm , on cannabis , with a small solar panel on his head ! I wonder if there would be room for a satellite dish ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back