Solar Panel fixing with Sikaflex, surface preparation question (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I am about to fit a new larger solar panel on the roof of my van. I am using Sikaflex to fix the "aerodynamic" brackets to the roof, but wondered about how to prepare the surface.
The roof is GRP and has not been polished, just cleaned a few times with Meguirs car wash shampoo.
Whats the best surface cleaner to use before applying the Sikaflex?
Allan

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
If you search "Techno100" threads I'm sure he has put up a thread on installing solar panels, and will answer your question.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Fitting a Solar Panel to an 07 Autotrail Cheyenne through Sargent EC325 Power Supply Unit

Can't find Techno 100's thread, but this may help.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
It Is called "Aktivator", seems fairly similar to "thinners" but I am assured it has more essential contents ?

Like Lenny I lightly abraded the contact points too, some say you don't need to with Sika but it is just something I have always done. :)

Remember to get some 3mm plastic tile spacers as you need that amount of Sikaflex as a bed

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks all, as the roof is very clean anyway, I think I will use Lenny's tip and use meths and rough the surface up a bit, don't see the point of using the Sika Activator at £14 odd a tin.
The panel will be screwed to 2 x 900mm mounts and both these will be Sikaflexed the whole length. I don't fancy putting screws through the roof like the original 30W panel ( I'm leaving that one on and connecting both together) All the connectors and brackets should be here tomorrow, hope the wind drops a bit.....
Allan

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It Is called "Aktivator", seems fairly similar to "thinners" but I am assured it has more essential contents ?

Description
Sika Cleaner-205 is an alcoholic solution containing a bond- activating substance for cleaning and activating bond faces prior to bonding and sealing with Sikaflex products. ®

Sika Cleaner-205 is manufactured in accordance with ISO 9001/14001 quality assurance system and with the responsible care program.

Whats the best surface cleaner to use before applying the Sikaflex?

Yes there are alternatives but my answer most accurately answers your specific question "best"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
When using a premium product like Sikaflex it becomes a bit self defeating to not follow the instructions. Aside from the recommended correct cleaner Aktivator you should also pay attention to the minimum required temperature throughout the setting period. You may find that the next couple of days at least are not suitable.
The end of the week onwards is forecast to be far more Spring like.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Sikaflexed the whole length

The 3mm spacers (Tiles R Us ) to ensure that depth of bed is pretty essential can photo you them or if you PM me with your address I can post you a handful I bought a big bag :rolleyes: , you're welcome.

DSC_3760.JPG

You may notice that because of the type of roof construction of my van, I BOLTED THE BEGGAR DOWN.
A 165watt Bimble solar special, 20 watt mppt controller, with the additional meter for additional entertainment. Better than Fleastenders any day. Punching the air, she asks whats up ? 8 bloody ripping amps, get in there !!!

Last edited:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Alan same as Lenny, I placed my panel with brackets fitted on roof marked around them with marker pen, cleaned with meths and abraded inside the marks made.

John.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The base of the plastic aero brackets is where you must concentrate your effort with course abrasive.
If left smooth even with Aktivator the adhesive is not a blood sweat and tears job to separate. I prefer alloy brackets personally but my own van came with four aero plastic to start with.
Have fun!

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Thank you for your useful information Andy. My previous motorhome I was able to fix solar panel to existing roof bars.
I have purchased the plastic aero brackets to fit panel to current van. After roughing up underside of them do you apply Aktivator as well. I have also purchased Sikaflex 512 is that ok.

Steve

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes use aktivator on all surfaces after cleaning. Allow to dry as instructions before applying adhesive
Temperature must be no lower than 5C through the following 24hrs

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Ok, you convinced me to get the Activator. These aero brackets are pretty substantial too! Should be a bit warmer here in a day or two, everything is ready to go, I'll get some 3mm spacers too.
Allan

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
everything is ready to go

Remember your fuses, one close to your connection to the Battery bank, good idea to have one on the pos feed to your controller (remove fuse to isolate the panel so that you can work safely on the controller and or the batts.)

Look on Bimble they are selling 12v 20amp contact breakers. Lot easier than messing about with fuses ! That's what I used.
On another theme I also used one for my feed from solar to vehicle batt, When not on hook up and van is parked up. Can explain better if required, good luck

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
The van is fitted with circuit breakers and fuses all over the place. The solar controller is fused too before it goes into the control unit, so I don't see the point of fitting extra fuses. All I have done is expand the solar panel capacity.
So, I fitted the brackets and bolted the panel to it. Spliced the new cable to the old wiring and then connected the new panel wiring.
I shut down the whole system with the master switch and covered the panels while I worked on the cabling and everything worked when I turned it on again.
With the 30w panel fitted, I can't remember it ever producing more than about 1.5 amps on a really sunny day. Now, with the 2 panels fitted, it was generating 2.5 amps first thing this morning with a light cloudy sky and the sun poking through trees. I expect it generate far more than that when the sun rises a bit more and the clouds disappear.
All in all, a successful day.
Allan

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Remember your fuses, one close to your connection to the Battery bank, good idea to have one on the pos feed to your controller (remove fuse to isolate the panel so that you can work safely on the controller and or the batts.)

Look on Bimble they are selling 12v 20amp contact breakers. Lot easier than messing about with fuses ! That's what I used.
On another theme I also used one for my feed from solar to vehicle batt, When not on hook up and van is parked up. Can explain better if required, good luck
My panel says " do not disconnect under load " , what is the correct procedure to isolate solar panel ? . I have fuses protecting solar controller and fuses on the battery positive connection .

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Yes use aktivator on all surfaces after cleaning. Allow to dry as instructions before applying adhesive
Temperature must be no lower than 5C through the following 24hrs

what is the correct procedure to isolate solar panel

The van is fitted with circuit breakers and fuses all over the place

Allan It sounds like you have all the necessary safety fuses and to cover the panel whilst messing about with cables is an obvious first stage. I just remember when I was doing mine that a fuse was considered cheap to protect my MPPT controller @£80. and that removing the fuse would enable me to work on my battery connections etc. without feed coming from the panel

I don't quite know what damage would be happening to the panel if you removed the fuse, hence the circuit was open, when the panel was in the sunshine and producing juice.

Help ! Andy !

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
When I installed wiring to cab battery yesterday , I covered up panel with dust sheet and then pulled fuse , made sense , pleased to see I was right .

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I covered the panel with the box lid that it came in, and used the box base to cover the old panel. I turned the master switch off on the control panel then connected the second panel into the first. With the panel covered it was not producing any power so was safe to disconnect / connect as it was not under load. I also disconnected the cable from the solar controller. Of course, when I reconnected the solar controller, it would have been just like connecting the cable with the controller connected!
Anyway, it all works fine and I cleaned and polished round the new panel to restore the finish, got carried away and polished the whole roof!
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back